A decent home theater for max 650$
Apr 14, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hassan14a

Head-Fier
Well since i can't seem to find any other decent forum with helpfull answers, im going to post it here even though it has nothing to do with headphones.

Ive been looking at these HTIB but im not sure if i should even go out and buy a HTIB. But i have been looking at a few not sure if they are any good though.

The list is:
Pioneer DCS-360
Samsung HT-TP33R
Samsung HT-TQ25
Sony DAV-DZ410
Sony HT-SF1000
Panasonic SC-HT990

Basicly my price range is 650$ Max and i want 5.1 Set with 4 slim tower speakers like the on you see on all of those i have pointet out.
For me its all about the sound, so main piority is how the sound is, not just for movies but for music aswell.
If you guys have any other systems in mind please tell me about it and i will look into it and bare in mind that the sound quality has to be excellent.

Ive been trying to go with seperate speakers, but in denmark everything is just a little more expensive than most other places so its very hard create my own decent system.
But the thing is i planned to buy the surround amp or receiver later and therefor need an aktiv subwoofer with speaker inputs so i can just plug them into the subwoofer like fx. the Logitech Z5500 that i have now.
Ive been looking at the Jamo SUB200 but not sure if it has that.

Any suggestion at all would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 7
I have experience with two budget priced Home-Theatre-In-Box systems, one is a Sony circa 2001 and the other a Pioneer circa 2004. Both cost at retail roughly US$ 400. Both are systems for my parents - no-brainer setups, so they can just shove a disc in and watch. They are OK for those who just want a picture with some noise. The surround sound is OK I suppose, but the bass is quite awful. At that price, subwoofer is passive, thus "bass" is very boomy, sort of like PC subwoofers. Needless to say, they sound quite awful with music. The Pioneer actually sounds worse than my Altec Lansing 2.1 budget PC speakers!!

Even at a higher price (i.e. your budget), the subwoofer is most likely going to be crap. I reckon with your budget, getting a low end AV amp, an entry level DVD player and starting off with just 1 pair of speakers will make more sense in the long run, as you can add the rear speakers and subwoofer later. For both music and video, it is going to be far superior. What you will be giving up are looks and probably space. So, if you a particular about sound, I would say avoid HTIB systems.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Cool, ill try to take a look.

But i have been looking around abit more and came up with this setup from Hifiklubben.com The speakers their own and they claim they are good at that price compared to normal htib: (the site is danish)
So its:
4x ARGON 7021 Compact speakers

1x ARGON 7031 Center speakers

And i have four choices for subwoofers which are:

ARGON 6170W Subwoofer

ARGON 7041 Subwoofer

DALI AW8 Subwoofer

Jamo SUB 200

And than a surround reciever or maybe a dvd reciever from denon or cambridge.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 7
One thing you can do on a budget is use old/vintage gear.

A lot of people throw out really quality stuff because it doesn't look good anymore or is getting a little old. ie. My old man threw out a few Marantz components in good condition when I was too young to tell him not to.

Like it's amazing the amount of people that would rather have some small aesthetically pleasing components or speakers over potentially larger or more ugly gear that sounds far better. Thing is though it's not actually there to look at but to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back