A Day for some Music
Jan 15, 2005 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Well it is starting to warm up a bit here; it is all the way up to 6°F from 0°F. I have nothing that must get done today and I think it would be a good time to clean a few records fire up the amps and sit back and listen to some music. Over the Christmas holiday I got the Bob Dylan 4 record set of his live 1964 performance. I was at Music Direct in the city and they sold it to me for $40 as the box was torn up. I also have a few new Cd's that I would like to hear end to end. One of the real benefits of tube amplification is how they take the chill out of the air when it gets a bit brisk outside.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 16
Sounds like a great day John.

The last three days I have been home sick with the flu, 102 temperature, everything hurting, just wanting to die. It would have been a perfect time to dedicate to listening, but unfortunately that was the last thing on my mind. I haven't listened to my rig in over a week and am now just starting to feel well enough post here and be confident that it will make sense. Perhaps this three day weekend I can make up for lost time.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 16
Hope you feel better soon Jon. I have had a long week at work and am really looking forward to some time listening to music.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 16
Sounds like a great day, John. I love a day like that. Enjoy it, and drag it out as long as possible!

It's 20 degrees here now. Yesterday it was 60 at 6:30 in the AM. What a difference a day makes. My son is having a belated birthday pool party today, so it won't be quite as relaxing here.
eek.gif

Tonight will be quiet though.

Jan 15, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm about 60 minutes south of you, Voodoochile; I've been living this weird weather as well. Gotta love New England! Though given what's been going on disaster-wise in other areas of the US and world, I guess we should count ourselves lucky.

Hope you feel better soon, too, Jon. It's been tough for me, I've been lucky NOT to catch anything too nasty. Practically everyone around me at work has been sick to varying degrees in the last month plus.

As for music, today, the wife took my son to a birthday party. So I get to relax and listen up, too. Dug out some old 80's stuff I liked: Propaganda/Act/Claudia Brucken, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Jam....

Topped it off with one of my newer favorites, Eleanor McEvoy "Yola" on SACD (DSD recording).

Mmmmmmm....music

Jan 15, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 16
Sounds like a great day John...there must be some good musical karma floating around out there.

I also dedicated a big chunk of today - my first real weekend off in probably 4 months - and did a little listening on the home rig. Most of my listening (save for a quick 20 minutes or so here and there) has been either on my portable rig at work (not bad, but...) or in my car (much worse...eek!!), so it's been a while since I've really been able to listen critically on a better rig.

Tonight I'll be watching the NFL playoffs, and it's going to be a great time to do some serious listening. Confused? I don't need (or in most cases even enjoy having) an announcer clog up my football. So most of the time I just turn down the volume on the TV and crank it up on my headphone rig!! Actually, I don't mind listening to a good radio announcer...but most TV announcers these days are tedious and add nothing to the game. Oh well...

My listening session was mostly hi-rez: SACD's of Chet Baker, David Bowie, Ryan Adams and Bob Dylan (my favorite - Blood on the Tracks), and DVD-A's by Elton John, Neil Young, and REM. A fine day indeed!!

PS - Jon, I hope you are feeling better.
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 16
Well, I would have dedicated a large chunk of my weekend to some nice listening on the speaker rig, just listening to some vinyl and straight through some new CDs (exams just finished... yay). Unfortunately, I've been sick as well. Not sick enough to prevent me from listening except that everything sounds terrible! I guess it's my flu, now turning into a plain old cold, but my ears are "stuffy" and everything is bright and strident and thin. It sucks. The worst part is I'm just about done with a pair of speakers I'm building, but I won't be able to listen to them and tune the stuffing for a week probably! Oh, woe is me.

I wish I were you right now John. Enjoy your listening! It is a wonderful, rewarding way to spend time.

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Tonight I'll be watching the NFL playoffs, and it's going to be a great time to do some serious listening. Confused? I don't need (or in most cases even enjoy having) an announcer clog up my football. So most of the time I just turn down the volume on the TV and crank it up on my headphone rig!! Actually, I don't mind listening to a good radio announcer...but most TV announcers these days are tedious and add nothing to the game. Oh well...

Hehe, I'm doing the same thing. Some Steelers game, eh? Seems to me that lsitening to Grave Digger while watching football is a pretty good combo
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Sounds like a great day, John. I love a day like that. Enjoy it, and drag it out as long as possible!

It's 20 degrees here now. Yesterday it was 60 at 6:30 in the AM. What a difference a day makes. My son is having a belated birthday pool party today, so it won't be quite as relaxing here.
eek.gif

Tonight will be quiet though.

Pool Party??

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 16
Hey, the most fun I've ever had at a pool party was at a ski resort...it was snowing like crazy, great big flakes, and the pool was warmer than any bath tub I've ever been in. THAT was fun!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 16
My day is tomorrow. Gonna check out the LA Phil and Mitsuko Uchida at WDCH with the gf. Gonna hear Beet's Emperor as well as other stuff.
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 16
/way OT/
Yes, pool party. My 10 year old son is like Minnesota Fats.
icon10.gif

Actually, indoor pool at a local hotel. When your b'day is in January and you live in NH, any decent kids party is tough planning. We have a small home, with lots of delicate instruments (
rolleyes.gif
) lying around, so this works well.

Usually, we do a very low-key dinner out at his choice of place, but being the big one-oh, we wanted to do a little more.

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Sounds like a great day John.

The last three days I have been home sick with the flu, 102 temperature, everything hurting, just wanting to die. It would have been a perfect time to dedicate to listening, but unfortunately that was the last thing on my mind. I haven't listened to my rig in over a week and am now just starting to feel well enough post here and be confident that it will make sense. Perhaps this three day weekend I can make up for lost time.

Jon!!!!

My goodness...I have been wondering what happened to you. I have not heard from you in soooooo long. Wondering if we could get together sometime soon. We could perhaps meet half way??? Let me know. BTW, I have posted a PM to you a bit ago and wondered why you had not read it. The flu would explain that... Hope you are feeling better soon. DMS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back