A DAC with select features...
Apr 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AndreyS

New Head-Fier
Hello folks,
I have recently joined Head-Fi and have already experienced some of the great advice that you guys have to give. I initially joined because I ordered a pair of Grado SR325is's and did not know which portable amp to pair them with. In that respect, I am still deciding, along with the realm of desktop amps.

Regardless of this indecisive nature of mine, I want to have a solid DAC to boot. Here is what I am looking for:

A desktop DAC, and just a DAC (no built-in amp)
96kHz/24bit capabilities through USB (or higher)
Stereo coaxial out (old-school red-and-white, I am not in dire need of SPDF or optical outs/ins)
Preferably a pair of Wolfson DACs or some worthy equivalent

Are there any good options out there that won't totally break the bank? If not, is it logical to spend more on source components than on a pair of headphones for which these source components will be used?

Thank in advance,
AndreyS

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Do you have a specific budget?
I would recommend the nuforce icon hd (not the hdp) this is possibly the best value piece of audio equipment I have ever seen, it has a built in headphone amplifier which is excellent and the dac is also great.
Currently there is one on the for sale section for $280 but I am sure they might knock some money off that. I still cannot believe what great value this is as the nuforce hdp is absolutely excellent value and this is pretty much the same but cheaper.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 6
If not, is it logical to spend more on source components than on a pair of headphones for which these source components will be used?

Thank in advance,
AndreyS

From what I've read and my limited exposure to Hi-Fi Headphones: The headphone itself is the most limiting factor when it comes to the total rig. Everything but the headphone is just pushing the most accurate (maybe) data and at sufficient load. The headphone itself translates the data to the audible level and is therefor the greatest factor. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the advice!

I somehow overlooked nuForce!

And my budget is cloudy. I am hoping to spend quite a bit less than $300 on a DAC and then spend a bit more on a dedicated headphone amplifier like the Little Dot I+.

I was looking reluctantly at the HRT Music Streamer II (reluctance due to the ugliness). It seems capable, especially for $150. Does anyone know if it is?

What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance,
AndreyS

PS jacmccabe, where did you find the nuForce Icon HD for $280?

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks again, jackmccabe.

Unfortunately, none of these options are pulling on my heat strings. It looks like I will have to wait to obtain the components I would really want in my desktop listening system...

...unless there are some gems we've missed?

What I find astounding is that so many amps costing loads and loads only accept a 16/48 signal via USB!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back