a Dac and an Amp or just a Dac
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xanokei

New Head-Fier
so my current setup is a Receiver for my speakers, but I used my headphones more commonly, so I thought to get an DAC and an Amp, but my question is would you use just a dac with the receiver as the amp or would you specifically buy a separate amp and dac specifically for the headphones.

I was thinking of going for the 
Maverick Audio D2 pairing with the MaverickAudio A1.

Or Just go with the Maverick Audio D2 and pair it with receiver.

My Headphones are the Sennheiser HD650s

using SPeakers Celestion AVP305

I use headphones more.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 10
What make/model is your receiver? How well does it driver your HD650s?

What is the source device (make/model) for your audio? Computer? CD player? Xbox?

Why get the Maverick A1? Are you thinking of completely replacing your receiver for your speakers? That's an integrated headphone/speaker amp.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 10
no, I want to keep the receiver and keep using the speakers

Onkyo HT-RC550 

For my Computer, and I've been told it is better to get an amp for the headphones if I'm more or less using it commonly and due to sound differences and such on. Though I don't mind the Receiver at all.

Most people have been suggesting to just get both the dac and amp mainly because the receiver isn't capable of it which I sort of agree depending on the receiver. And it is sometimes preferred to just get a seperate AMP for the headphones itself.

PS I'm an idiot sorry for making to many posts....

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 10
no, I want to keep the receiver and keep using the speakers

Onkyo HT-RC550 

For my Computer, and I've been told it is better to get an amp for the headphones if I'm more or less using it commonly and due to sound differences and such on. Though I don't mind the Receiver at all.

Most people have been suggesting to just get both the dac and amp mainly because the receiver isn't capable of it which I sort of agree depending on the receiver. And it is sometimes preferred to just get a seperate AMP for the headphones itself.

If your speaker system is 5.1, then the A1 won't help.

Anyway, and Audio-GD NFB-15 or a Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2 Uber would allow you to hook your computer up to the headphone amp unit, and then also send the sound to the receiver. These seem a better choice to me than paying for the A1 which is a speaker amp as well.

PS I'm an idiot sorry for making to many posts....

We've all done that before :)

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 10
The Vahalla 2 is considered by many to be an excellent tube amp, and it should work well with the HD650s. However, should you ever get other headphones, it is not a good match for low impedance, low sensitivity headphones.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Hmm I see, Then i'll keep looking and testing around, before i decide. Majority of the people keep telling me to buy new headphones -.-, in a different forum and told me not to look around...

It's weird, on another forum everyone keeps suggesting to get better headphones instead of getting a better amp or dac.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, you could get better headphones, but then you would still need to buy a dac/amp. Why not consider a combined dac/amp that you could use on your computer if you decide to upgrade in the future?

Couldn't see what your source is?

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, you could get better headphones, but then you would still need to buy a dac/amp. Why not consider a combined dac/amp that you could use on your computer if you decide to upgrade in the future?

Couldn't see what your source is?

I only got an ONkyo Receiver hooked up to my COmputer so I don't have a dac at all, currently just looking mostly testing if i can hear differences in sound paired with other stuff. But it seems I suck that i can't tell the differences.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 10

I only got an ONkyo Receiver hooked up to my COmputer so I don't have a dac at all, currently just looking mostly testing if i can hear differences in sound paired with other stuff. But it seems I suck that i can't tell the differences.

Or you have paired it with the wrong equipment?

I would consider finding a cheaper usb DAC / headphone amplifier from the second hand market as a trial. If it doesn't work for you then you can always sell it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back