A couple questions about the AKG 240.
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Monkeytofu

New Head-Fier
I've been considering a few upgrades recently as I've gotten the money to upgrade. I came across these headphones on amazon for 99 dollars and it seemed like all the reviews were extremely positive and glowing about them though I did see some complain about them requiring an amp. So my questions are:

Do these need to amped and if so would a Fiio E3 be up to the job?

Are these headphones durable? (not that big of a deal, but I'd like to know if I have to be extra careful with these or I can carry then around in a bag)

Would these headphones be good for listening to rap and provide lots of bass?

Also, if you dislike them why? Are there any other better 'phones around that price?

I'd try them out if had the chance but it seems no place in my area has headphones available for trial
frown.gif

Oh and if it's any importance my source will be a Cowon S9 and very rarely a CD player.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeytofu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these need to amped and if so would a Fiio E3 be up to the job?

If something needs to be amped, a Fiio E3 will not cut it. Going by what I've read, I doubt K240s would pair well with a Fiio.

Also, FWIR it seems the K240 model to be sought after is one of the Sextetts. These early K240 models contained 6 passive radiators (or something like that, lol), hence the name Sextett, and are widely considered better than later K240 models. You can sometimes find used ones for around or under $100.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, the Fiio won't cut it. I think the newer Studio model was meant to be easier to drive, but supposedly those aren't very good. The other ones definitely need an amp to sound as they should. From my experience with my Sextetts, they sound muddy without amplification.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the Fiio won't cut it. I think the newer Studio model was meant to be easier to drive, but supposedly those aren't very good. The other ones definitely need an amp to sound as they should. From my experience with my Sextetts, they sound muddy without amplification.

I hadn't considered the difference between the Sextetts and later models in need for amplification, it's a good thing you pointed it out. :p

Anyhow, regardless of which K240 you're looking at, you'd need a proper amp.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeytofu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys so far guys, I guess I'll keep looking around.

Try to get the K-240 MKll. They are great and natural.
With $99 you can buy the M-50, a good option too.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to get the K-240 MKll. They are great and natural.
With $99 you can buy the M-50, a good option too.

Ditto. The newer K240 Mk2 AKGs are actually very nice. Likewise the 271 Mk2.

The sextett is very nice too (I had one), but I wouldn't say it's better than the 240 Mk2. I think people perceive it as better because it is "vintage".

Actually the 240Mk2 is better in that: it comes with two pads. and the verlour is very comfortable. And the Mk2 is only 55ohm. No amps is necessary with an ipod.

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I thought the only differences between the K240 Studio and the K240 Mark II were the inclusion of velour earpads and some cosmetic changes. Is that not right? Did they change the sound?

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm also curious what is the difference between the 240mkII and the 240S. I would NOT recommend the 240S for rap, though it can be driven by an iPod. The Equation RP22 might suit the OP's need for lots of bass, easy to drive, and under $100. Haven't heard the m50, but FWIR it will have good bass and be easy to drive...also sony mdr-7506 is another option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back