A Couple of Newbie Vinyl Questions
Sep 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
So, I got a used Technics SL-1500 at a thrift store minus a cartridge. I was ok with that because I was going to upgrade the cartridge no matter what. So, I got my paycheck today, and I was wondering a couple of things before I buy.

Budget: $140 (Honestly no more
wink.gif
)

Do the cartridges include the needle? (That's my dumb question)

I was told the Denon cartridges would be a good match....but I'll have to throw them away after 1000 hours!?!?!?!?!

I for sure need a cartridge, and I never got a 100% sure answer on what the best match would be. I made a thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/nee...1500-a-355867/

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Yes, cartridges include stylus (needle). Most budget cartridges have a lifespan of 1000 hours or less, that is normal. The highend cartridges might live upto 2000 hours or more with good care.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 6
I recently re-entered the vinyl scene and scored a decent TT on Audiogon. After reading many, many threads on cartridges I was considering the AT440MLa by Audio-Technica and the Ortofon 2M Red. The AT is around $200 while the Ortofon will run about $99. I ended up placing an order with needledoctor.com because both of the cartridges were available at a discount in the closeout section of the website. I went with the AT cartridge as it is apparently better than the 2M Red and was within my budget as a closeout.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I got a used Technics SL-1500 at a thrift store minus a cartridge. I was ok with that because I was going to upgrade the cartridge no matter what. So, I got my paycheck today, and I was wondering a couple of things before I buy.

Budget: $140 (Honestly no more
wink.gif
)

Do the cartridges include the needle? (That's my dumb question)

I was told the Denon cartridges would be a good match....but I'll have to throw them away after 1000 hours!?!?!?!?!

I for sure need a cartridge, and I never got a 100% sure answer on what the best match would be. I made a thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/nee...1500-a-355867/

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.
tongue.gif

Moving magnet cartridges with high compliance properties will generally work best with lower mass tonearms. The stylus is replaceable with most MM cartridges. Moving Coil cartridges with lower compliance properties will generally work best with higher mass tonearms. The stylus is not replaceable with MC designs. Since the tonearm on your Technics is of the higher mass variety, high output moving coil designs are generally recommended which brings the Denon DL110 within your budget. Another cartridge to consider is is the Stanton 681EEE MkIII which is a moving iron design. The stylus on this model is replaceable. You can get it at DJDeals.com for $96 delivered. The other models mentioned may work OK but these 2 cartridges will provide you with better tracking which will be better for both your vinyl and your ears.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moving magnet cartridges with high compliance properties will generally work best with lower mass tonearms. The stylus is replaceable with most MM cartridges. Moving Coil cartridges with lower compliance properties will generally work best with higher mass tonearms. The stylus is not replaceable with MC designs. Since the tonearm on your Technics is of the higher mass variety, high output moving coil designs are generally recommended which brings the Denon DL110 within your budget. Another cartridge to consider is is the Stanton 681EEE MkIII which is a moving iron design. The stylus on this model is replaceable. You can get it at DJDeals.com for $96 delivered. The other models mentioned may work OK but these 2 cartridges will provide you with better tracking which will be better for both your vinyl and your ears.

I think I'm gonna get the DL-110. Thanks man!

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm gonna get the DL-110. Thanks man!

I think you'll be happy with it. I have a DL-160 on my SL-1200, and it's a great match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back