A couple of hours with Westone's new 3
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Doug from Westone was nice enough to let me borrow the new 3 Saturday night at the national meet. Too bad for my ears, we didn't get back from partying with everyone till around 4am.
very_evil_smiley.gif
When Iron_Dreamer and I finally got back to the room we tried to do a little listening but passed out pretty quickly.
wink.gif
Fortunately for my ears, I was able to spend a couple of hours with them when I woke up.
biggrin.gif
Thanks Doug!

Let me start by saying OMG those things are comfortable! Thus far they are the most comfortable ear/headphone I've ever used. This isn't to say that others don't get pretty close, but the difference was most certainly noticeable.

With that out of the way, I should probably talk a little bit about the sound. Well, to be perfectly honest, I was a little underwhelmed at first. To my ears they sounded a bit too warm with a noticeable dip somewhere between 2.5 and 4 kHz (as best as I can tell anyway, I'd sure like to see the a response chart). On the other hand though, they have good detail, and fantastic bass response... clean highs... wait a sec, these things really started to win me over. They are just soooo smooth...

I didn't have enough time with them to write up a complete review, but what I heard certainly has me wanting more. What I did get out of my time with them is that they are most certainly up there with the E500/SE530 and Triple-Fi (although I find that the Triple-Fi is really not my cup of tea it is certainly not without merit). If you like things a bit on the warmer side the Westone 3 is probably your ticket to earphone nirvana.

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 40
Are these have same mids as E500PTH? Because to me mids on E500PTH are amazing. BTW i will use these with ipod(staightout to the headphone jack).

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips did you use with the Weston3's? Where they the complys?

I used the black Shure foam as well as the yellow foam common to both Shure and Westone.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these have same mids as E500PTH? Because to me mids on E500PTH are amazing. BTW i will use these with ipod(staightout to the headphone jack).

YGPM...

No the mids aren't the same. There is a bit of a recession in the upper mids of the Westone 3, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems to color some vocals a bit, but makes for a nice warm liquid smooth sound.

I didn't really try them without an amp though. I switched between my Hornet and Tomahawk.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

To my ears they sounded a bit too warm with a noticeable dip somewhere between 2.5 and 4 kHz (as best as I can tell anyway, I'd sure like to see the a response chart).

Quote:

...It seems to color some vocals a bit...

I knew it. Yes, it is a bad thing. Reading that is kind of a let down, they had a chance to make them good and flumbled it... I was really hoping for something like a combination of excellent bass and clear upper mids... something like a mixture of the E500 and ER4. Why can't someone make an IEM like this? That would be so awesome.

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. something like a mixture of the E500 and ER4. Why can't someone make an IEM like this? That would be so awesome.

x2
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...something like a mixture of the E500 and ER4. Why can't someone make an IEM like this? That would be so awesome.

Done. That's a UE-10 Pro!
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does it compare to um2?

Exactly...that is what I am wondering. I've read many UM-2 reviews that say the same thing?

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done. That's a UE-10 Pro!
biggrin.gif

Why can't someone make a universal IEM that sounds like that. It would be so simple.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does it compare to um2?

Simma-don-nah!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Easy fellas, he only had them for a few hours, plus it sounds like he MIGHT have been a little hungover from the partying the night before. I wouldn't form too many opinions based on this write-up other than the fact that they don't completely suck.

P.S. if the OP was not hungover, I apologize in advance
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back