A couple iPod questions from a PC user
Aug 8, 2003 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rumz

100+ Head-Fier
I've read a lot about the iPod and have gotten a lot of info from users her on using one with a PC (thanks everyone). I just had a couple more questions I wanted to ask iPod / PC users-- (I should clarify that I'm referring to g3 iPods)

Do I have to "install" iPod software on each computer that I use it with? I mean, if I set it up on my main PC at home, install the apple software and Ephpod and enable disk mode on my iPod, can I then plug it in to the USB 2.0 at work and have it function as a plug and play USB hard drive without having to install additional software (other than what XP normally does when an external hard drive is connected to the usb/firewire port)?

Also, how difficult is it to use AAC (mp4) files on the iPod using a PC? Are you able to create playlists with these mp4s? I know iTunes is on the way later this fall, but until then, if I use something like quicktime or nero to encode mp4s what will my main obstacles be with the iPod? TIA for all your help.

Aug 8, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Rumz
Do I have to "install" iPod software on each computer that I use it with? I mean, if I set it up on my main PC at home, install the apple software and Ephpod and enable disk mode on my iPod, can I then plug it in to the USB 2.0 at work and have it function as a plug and play USB hard drive without having to install additional software (other than what XP normally does when an external hard drive is connected to the usb/firewire port)?

I believe it will work fine as external drive with no extra software other then the OS drivers etc. I ended up installing Ephpod on both notebook and main home system anyway.

Quote:

Also, how difficult is it to use AAC (mp4) files on the iPod using a PC? Are you able to create playlists with these mp4s? I know iTunes is on the way later this fall, but until then, if I use something like quicktime or nero to encode mp4s what will my main obstacles be with the iPod? TIA for all your help-- [/B]

No clue on this one

Aug 8, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Also, how difficult is it to use AAC (mp4) files on the iPod using a PC?

I know at Hydrogen Audio this was discussed over in the AAC forum several times. You may want to hunt there.

Aug 8, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 7
you can copy ephpod onto your iPod and access it directly from the iPod from any PC. This was discussed in the iPodlounge forums so I suggest searching further on that board.

Aug 8, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by RunsWithScissors
you can copy ephpod onto your iPod and access it directly from the iPod from any PC. This was discussed in the iPodlounge forums so I suggest searching further on that board.

Thats a great idea, why did I not think about it!
eek.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 7
... but then again I tend not to plug in in to unfamiliar places
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back