A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jan 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #166 of 856

Quote:
Well, the Klipsch Reference One IS a pretty bassy can, so granted he likes the Beats, the Ref 1 will probably suit him good. Too bad there weren't any Denon D2000 or Pro 900 there.. Did he try the DT770 pro as well? Those are supposed to be pretty powerful in the bass department. 

He was looking for something at least as small or smaller than the M50, so he only did an audition on the Reference One. And yeah, the bass power of those little things surprised me a lot.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #167 of 856

Quote:
He was looking for something at least as small or smaller than the M50, so he only did an audition on the Reference One. And yeah, the bass power of those little things surprised me a lot.

Ah yeah, that would completely put the "bigger bassy" cans out of the question. I'm sure he'll be happy with the Klipsch though..

How's the transplanting projects coming along? Have you decided how to do it? :)

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #168 of 856

Quote:
Ah yeah, that would completely put the "bigger bassy" cans out of the question. I'm sure he'll be happy with the Klipsch though..

How's the transplanting projects coming along? Have you decided how to do it? :)

I had completely dissembled the WeSCs (ten-minute project, nothing special) when he notified me that I'd be getting his fake Beats, so it's kind of at a stop right now until I know exactly what to do. I think I may put the drivers from the fakes in my WeSCs (they sound way better than WeSC crap in my opinion) so I can use them as a fun and stylish bassy can that won't make me feel like an idiot for wearing, then I'll put the HD201 drivers (as per my original plan) in the fake Beats and mess around with their capabilities to try to optimize both the drivers and the headphone design.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #169 of 856

Quote:
I had completely dissembled the WeSCs (ten-minute project, nothing special) when he notified me that I'd be getting his fake Beats, so it's kind of at a stop right now until I know exactly what to do. I think I may put the drivers from the fakes in my WeSCs (they sound way better than WeSC crap in my opinion) so I can use them as a fun and stylish bassy can that won't make me feel like an idiot for wearing, then I'll put the HD201 drivers (as per my original plan) in the fake Beats and mess around with their capabilities to try to optimize both the drivers and the headphone design.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that the fake Beats has a little bigger housing and playroom for modding than the WeSCs..? I remember owning a couple of WeSCs once upon a time, maybe two-three years ago, and the housing on them was pretty small. It's fun, because they sucked at pretty much everything, except for bass quantity. They were like mini subwoofers. Too bad that's all they were.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #170 of 856

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea to me. Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that the fake Beats has a little bigger housing and playroom for modding than the WeSCs..? I remember owning a couple of WeSCs once upon a time, maybe two-three years ago, and the housing on them was pretty small. It's fun, because they sucked at pretty much everything, except for bass quantity. They were like mini subwoofers. Too bad that's all they were.

The fake Beats are Solos (the smallest model), so I doubt they were able to fit anything bigger than a 35-mm driver in it. I haven't opened it yet to make sure. The WeSCs I own (the Maraca) have WeSC's 40-mm drivers, which are substantially better than their 30-mm crap but are still pretty bad. For reference, the HD201 drivers are quite a bit smaller than the WeSC drivers.

What I want to do is give myself a challenge: a small housing and small sub-par drivers, and the hope of making a good headphone out of it.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #171 of 856

Quote:
The fake Beats are Solos (the smallest model), so I doubt they were able to fit anything bigger than a 35-mm driver in it. I haven't opened it yet to make sure. The WeSCs I own (the Maraca) have WeSC's 40-mm drivers, which are substantially better than their 30-mm crap but are still pretty bad. For reference, the HD201 drivers are quite a bit smaller than the WeSC drivers.

What I want to do is give myself a challenge: a small housing and small sub-par drivers, and the hope of making a good headphone out of it.

Now that's a challenge. I hope the HD201 drivers will up for the job. I wasn't too in love with their sound, and I remember you saying the same thing, although I still liked them better than my old WeSC headphones.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #172 of 856

Making a decent headphone equipped with HD201 drivers - time for a song.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #173 of 856

Quote:
Now that's a challenge. I hope the HD201 drivers will up for the job. I wasn't too in love with their sound, and I remember you saying the same thing, although I still liked them better than my old WeSC headphones.

It'll be a slow, progressive project that'll likely play out over a few years, but I hope I can make it sound at least decent.

Quote:

Making a decent headphone equipped with HD201 drivers - time for a song.

I know, I know...

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #174 of 856

Quote:
It'll be a slow, progressive project that'll likely play out over a few years, but I hope I can make it sound at least decent.

I know, I know...

Well, at least now you have the drivers and the headphone-housings and all the time in the world to play around with them. :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #175 of 856
Ok I don't know if I'm even on topic anymore because I just read the first page. But I don't think the "M50 hater wagon" is acurate. The m50's are good headphones, but to give them as much credit as they are given, I think its sometimes overstated. I got the old version almost two years ago for 100 and while I could say I was relatively satisfied, I wasn't really blown away. The detail and the mids are holding back my overall experience. I havn't heard the new version, but some say it isn't as good as the old version, and vice versa. Not as good as the old version for $160 sounds like a rip off to me.

Still great for isolation and portability though. Sound isn't everything when it comes to everyday use.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #176 of 856

Quote:
Ok I don't know if I'm even on topic anymore because I just read the first page. But I don't think the "M50 hater wagon" is acurate. The m50's are good headphones, but to give them as much credit as they are given, I think its sometimes overstated. I got the old version almost two years ago for 100 and while I could say I was relatively satisfied, I wasn't really blown away. The detail and the mids are holding back my overall experience. I havn't heard the new version, but some say it isn't as good as the old version, and vice versa. Not as good as the old version for $160 sounds like a rip off to me.

Still great for isolation and portability though. Sound isn't everything when it comes to everyday use.

I'm not sure that there is a difference between them at all. Just too many unsourced claims that there would be a difference between them at the same time as Audio Technica supposedly claims them to be the same except for the packaging for me to believe that there would be a real difference in SQ between them.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #177 of 856
The M50 is a good headphone , the problem isnt with the headphones at all , the problem is with headfiers recommending it willy nilly to anyone who will listen.

"i need a light portable can" - "you want an M50"
"i need a well balance studio can" - "you want an M50"
"i need a new girlfriend , mine is broken" - "you need an M50"  etc etc etc

Its a good headphone, thats all.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #178 of 856

Quote:
The M50 is a good headphone , the problem isnt with the headphones at all , the problem is with headfiers recommending it willy nilly to anyone who will listen.

"i need a light portable can" - "you want an M50"
"i need a well balance studio can" - "you want an M50"
"i need a new girlfriend , mine is broken" - "you need an M50"  etc etc etc

Its a good headphone, thats all.

LOL I actually said the same thing in another thread. People were suggesting it to people who were not at all looking for what the M50 brings to the table. I agree - it's a good headphone.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #180 of 856
they are not king,because there is no king,but then if u see how much people have it and how many of them are happy with it,they are a successfull product indeed;look at how many kids around here have intention to start to listen to good music without have to spend the money they dont have,considering there are not very much good sounding headphones at this level price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back