A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jan 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #121 of 856

Quote:
I think the HD280Pros eliminate the ATH-M50 in every sense of the word unless you want a lot of bass.

I don't think the hd280 pros are even close to beating the m50s. Hell, the hd280 pros can't even compete with headphones in their own price range. Much too thin and small sounding.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #122 of 856
The M50s are good if you like a crap-ton of muddy bass and poor build quality.  The HD280s obliterate anything in their price range, especially around $100.  They have an amazing sound stage and amazing instrumental seperation.  I don't know what you're talking about.  It's all opinion, but what you stated is the opposite opinion of the consensus. 
Quote:
I don't think the hd280 pros are even close to beating the m50s. Hell, the hd280 pros can't even compete with headphones in their own price range. Much too thin and small sounding.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #123 of 856
The M50s are good if you like a crap-ton of muddy bass and poor build quality.

Lol, I'm doing my Sunday catch up in the office. I'm listening at about 60 dBs to my coax-pad-modded, "version two" M50Ss with my Cute Beyond 0-output-impedance amp.

I've listened to St. Vincent - Marry Me, Three Mile Pilot - Another Desert, Another Sea, and Elbow - Cast of Thousands so far. Nicely recorded and mastered redbook audio.

The bass has been *anything* but "crap-tonnish" and "muddy." This is a balanced and clean sound, satisfying top to bottom. Yah, if I turn it up to EIGHT or SIXTEEN times as loud (90 dBs or 100 dBs -- and please see loudness contours and human hearing), then who knows, but why would I ever do that? Some people are missing the point with these methinks...

And the build quality is beyond reproach. And comfort is nice, circumaural and plenty of space with the mods.

Basically I don't know what you're talking about.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #124 of 856
Yeah honestly.  People can agree and disagree about their sound, but one thing I have not heard one person complain about was the M50's build quality.  It is a tonka truck.  Unless of course we're talking about its 10 cent earpads!

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #125 of 856
Are you serious? The m50s have accurate bass for a studio monitor and the headphones are built like tanks, more durable than most of the headphones on the market. I really don't know where you are getting this information from.

Quote:
The M50s are good if you like a crap-ton of muddy bass and poor build quality.  The HD280s obliterate anything in their price range, especially around $100.  They have an amazing sound stage and amazing instrumental seperation.  I don't know what you're talking about.  It's all opinion, but what you stated is the opposite opinion of the consensus. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #126 of 856

Quote:
The M50s are good if you like . . . poor build quality.

Everyone's opinion is open to discussion here, but there is a point where a complete fallacy comes into play that makes your opinion seem less legitimate. The M50 may be flawed, but you simply cannot say that it's built badly. A security staff member at a department store in Germany dropped mine down an escalator, I tend to drop it all the time on my own, and there's barely a scratch. The only thing crappy about the M50's build is its earpads, of which I've now owned three sets.

However, I do agree here that the HD280 Pro is nice to my ears, though I wouldn't go so far as to say that it obliterates the M50 (or anything for that matter)

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #127 of 856
LOL

This thread is pretty good for me to know who to take advice from and who not to take advice from. I can't say the majority here share a lot in common with my taste!

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #128 of 856
I owned the M50s four years ago. I was decently satisfied with the sound, but found the bass a little to sloppy and uncontrolled on songs like NIN's Heresy, which sounds horrible if your speakers can't do detailed, precise bass. It was all a boomy, sludgy mess. Another track with the same bass is Smashing Pumpkins' 33, also containinf sludgy, uncontrolled bass.  However, I liked the good mids, highs and soundstage, so I used them until I ran out of patience.  Earpads=3, right speaker stopped functioning, headband started to crack, and wires became exposed by the connector.  I bought these at a store, they were real. Now they're sitting in a landfill, replaced by the 280.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #129 of 856

Quote:
I owned the M50s four years ago. I was decently satisfied with the sound, but found the bass a little to sloppy and uncontrolled on songs like NIN's Heresy, which sounds horrible if your speakers can't do detailed, precise bass. It was all a boomy, sludgy mess. Another track with the same bass is Smashing Pumpkins' 33, also containinf sludgy, uncontrolled bass.  However, I liked the good mids, highs and soundstage, so I used them until I ran out of patience.  Earpads=3, right speaker stopped functioning, headband started to crack, and wires became exposed by the connector.  I bought these at a store, they were real. Now they're sitting in a landfill, replaced by the 280.

Bro fist. That entire album sounds like trash on speakers/headphones that have no bass control or detail. Ruiner is just a mess on any set of speakers I have tried under the $500 mark. The XB700's even have some serious bass echoing and flubbering with this song. Granted it's not seriously bad but good god this is a particular album.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #130 of 856
if they improve the build quality with something more "professional",they comfort them up a little bit,a greater driver,it could even compete with the closed hi-fi top line!

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #131 of 856

Quote:
LOL

This thread is pretty good for me to know who to take advice from and who not to take advice from. I can't say the majority here share a lot in common with my taste!

this.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #132 of 856

Quote:
if they improve the build quality with something more "professional",they comfort them up a little bit,a greater driver,it could even compete with the closed hi-fi top line!

Just reading that makes me get the impression of the heaviest, bulkiest, ugliest, yet most comfortable headphone to date! But who knows, maybe it will happen some day lol.

Been watching this thread for the past week, I find these kinda threads entertaining for some reason lol.

*edit
Oh and here is my opinion, there is no one headphone that was ever "king". It just makes it sound superior to every other set of cans around its price range which we all know is untrue and will always remain untrue because "king" = no competition.
The reason I think M50's are still an amazing value is because you get a very durable and comfy(to most ppl) design that can easily be used as a portable but also excellent for studio work and even gaming(though the sound stage isn't excellent). So I think all features put in, this headphone is amazing and well rounded for a broad audience. I would never get an HM5 even if its the best sounding because its just looks HUGE(google images) and seems to only be for indoors listening.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #133 of 856
Fun thread, but my forehead is sore. I really have to stop smacking it each time I read something that has no bearing on reality or is based solely on conjecture.
rolleyes.gif

But come on... they are headphones, and this is a site for those who post their opinions about headphones. Absolutes are idiotic. (Yes, that's ironic and oxymoronic).
And those who spew absolutes should absolutely be ignored (what's wrong with me today??).

The M50 ws never King of anything. It was only popular because it had the atributes to make it so. It 'was' an inexpensive (relatively) HP that had very good sonic and build qualities. Simple. Think... Toyota Camry. Somewhat inexpensive, and does a pretty good job of getting someone somewhere in relative comfort. King of sedans? No, but very popular because it shows well in its pricepoint.

No need to knock it off it's pedestal. It will do that on its own, or not depending on several factors... including competition.

There will always be someone who feels that there is a better HP for the money. So? What is it, and why? That's all we need to know. We will take or leave your opinion based on several things. But, I can assure you that to judge a set of cans based on poorly recorded, mastered, produced music, run through inferior equipment is not the way to garner credibility or be taken seriously. <facepalm> Really.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #134 of 856

Quote:
Fun thread, but my forehead is sore. I really have to stop smacking it each time I read something that has no bearing on reality or is based solely on conjecture.
rolleyes.gif

But come on... they are headphones, and this is a site for those who post their opinions about headphones. Absolutes are idiotic. (Yes, that's ironic and oxymoronic).
And those who spew absolutes should absolutely be ignored (what's wrong with me today??).

The M50 ws never King of anything. It was only popular because it had the atributes to make it so. It 'was' an inexpensive (relatively) HP that had very good sonic and build qualities. Simple. Think... Toyota Camry. Somewhat inexpensive, and does a pretty good job of getting someone somewhere in relative comfort. King of sedans? No, but very popular because it shows well in its pricepoint.

No need to knock it off it's pedestal. It will do that on its own, or not depending on several factors... including competition.

There will always be someone who feels that there is a better HP for the money. So? What is it, and why? That's all we need to know. We will take or leave your opinion based on several things. But, I can assure you that to judge a set of cans based on poorly recorded, mastered, produced music, run through inferior equipment is not the way to garner credibility or be taken seriously. <facepalm> Really.

Completely agree.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #135 of 856
Nicely written. I completely agree as well.

Quote:
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back