A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jan 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #106 of 856
Where do you see how many people have which headphones on this site? Sorry, I am new here. 

Quote:
Dear HeadFi-ers,
I don't know if Audio-Technica pays you,but at least 300 pieces of the M50 are sold thanks to you.That's about 40000$ of worth.And that's only headphones registered on Head-Fi.If a regular product consultant sells that much of any product with just talk,he will(he'll ask to) be raised to a much higher position.Audio-Technica love you for sure.
Is it proper to do that?

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #107 of 856
Where you can get these headphones for less than 100 USD ? Where?

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #108 of 856
Type "M50" in the forum search bar.Then go to "product".You will see that 272 people own ATH-M50S and 83 own ATH-M50.

Quote:
Where do you see how many people have which headphones on this site? Sorry, I am new here. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #110 of 856
Jan 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #113 of 856

Quote:
$82?  Wow.  And I thought they were a steal at $120-140.

I thought my FA-003 was a steal at $150 USD, and the Brainwavz and LINDY happened. Now this...wow, that's an amazing value at $82.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #114 of 856
Ssrock64, thanks for the well-written analysis. You make some excellent points. I love the M50s and still think they represent a terrific value at $110  but I don't own another dozen pair to compare them to. Many of the reviews of the M50s I've read here and elsewhere have contained  what I think is intelligent and thoughtful analysis, as opposed to first time buyers thrilled with a new purchase.. I'm not sure there are really substantive differences in the (retail) $100 to $200 range. On the value scale 1/3 of the headphones in any range will be a poor value, 1/3 a decent value and 1/3 a very good value. The goal is to find the best value while not making a big mistake. I put the M50s at the top of the scale in that range.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #115 of 856
I agree with many points to the article. I was not aware that a "new" version was out, though. I bought a pair in 2009 for $80 or so, and was shocked to see prices skyrocket to $100, and then $150.

The M50's still sound good, they just aren't a great deal anymore.

My headphone of choice around that price range is now the Denon D1100, which goes for about $110 when on sale. I also like the Shure 840 when they are similarly priced at $120 or so.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #116 of 856

Quote:
I agree with many points to the article. I was not aware that a "new" version was out, though. I bought a pair in 2009 for $80 or so, and was shocked to see prices skyrocket to $100, and then $150.

The M50's still sound good, they just aren't a great deal anymore.

My headphone of choice around that price range is now the Denon D1100, which goes for about $110 when on sale. I also like the Shure 840 when they are similarly priced at $120 or so.

haven't heard the denons but to me the ath m50 is better then the shure srh840.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #117 of 856
Senior members - I'm not sure I have seen a revolt of senior members taking up an Occupy stance against newbie recommendations. Actually, I rarely see senior member partake in any budget/mid-fi phone conversations. As for them making fun of people in the members lounge....classy! And I can't believe you compared the Beats hype to the M50 hype. Two totally different scenarios and consumer base.

Redesign - I would like to know how you confirmed the redesign. I haven't followed the M50 closely in a while, but I believe this has always been speculation. You also mention their "original use". I think this was their original use. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/happenings/8348746d4fb8725b/index.html

Price increase - Again, you speak about the design and price increase as if you have insider knowledge.

Competition - Meh. There has always been competition. In my opinion, at $80-100, these would still be more popular than any of the newer competition.

Your article is well written, but I question its validity. The M50 was and is one of the best buys in Head-Fi history, period. 3 years of success is no fluke, nor because of nOOb recoomendations. I listen to almost every genre of music and the M50 is still, out of the all the phones I have owned, one of the most enjoyable to cover multiple genres and why it was easy to recommend. And it's portable and easily driven and scales with a better amp. Find another phone that does N.W.A., Pearl Jam, Norah Jones and Willie Nelson and does them all competently. Only the M50 from what I have owned...

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #118 of 856
Damn.  I live in Australia and have a Jaycar store just down the road from me.  Will go and check them out, as I own a pair of the Brainwavz Hm5's and hopefully let people know if they are the same.  Shame if they are, as I could have staved off a long pre-order wait and a bit of money.  Gotta say, though, very happy with the hm5's and what you get in the package, so cannot really say I made a mistake.  Hell, I had no idea Jaycar even sold headphones, and I am a trade card member (get the 10+ price if you look on the website).

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #119 of 856
M50 is no longer $80 to $100.

Quote:

Competition - Meh. There has always been competition. In my opinion, at $80-100, these would still be more popular than any of the newer competition.

Your article is well written, but I question its validity. The M50 was and is one of the best buys in Head-Fi history, period. 3 years of success is no fluke, nor because of nOOb recoomendations. I listen to almost every genre of music and the M50 is still, out of the all the phones I have owned, one of the most enjoyable to cover multiple genres and why it was easy to recommend. And it's portable and easily driven and scales with a better amp. Find another phone that does N.W.A., Pearl Jam, Norah Jones and Willie Nelson and does them all competently. Only the M50 from what I have owned...

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #120 of 856
Damn.  I live in Australia and have a Jaycar store just down the road from me.  Will go and check them out, as I own a pair of the Brainwavz Hm5's and hopefully let people know if they are the same.  Shame if they are, as I could have staved off a long pre-order wait and a bit of money.  Gotta say, though, very happy with the hm5's and what you get in the package, so cannot really say I made a mistake.  Hell, I had no idea Jaycar even sold headphones, and I am a trade card member (get the 10+ price if you look on the website).

interesting! let me know! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back