A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jan 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #76 of 856
The M50 tends to be oft-recommended because it has just enough bass still to satisfy newcomers while still being decent and in their price range. However, more articulate headphones have become available since the influx of M50 recommendations, and those who've heard many headphones in the price range should be heard over those who've had only one or two, at least in recommendations to newbies.

In the end, it is a matter of personal preference, and there's nothing wrong with liking the M50, even compared to headphones that are supposedly much better. However, what's wrong is that on any recommendation thread from the last two years you'll see at least one post by a then-Junior Headfier who's only owned the M50 or that and something else. Their opinions are valid in a sense because they were in the same position as the asker rather recently, but the newer members tend to overhype them and say they sound amazing with no frame of reference. I think almost anyone listening to something requiring a large soundstage would recommend the FA-003 over the M50 in an instant if they'd heard it, and almost anyone who is giving advice to a rock lover would recommend the SR-series Grados if they'd heard them. Take note of the word "almost" in the previous sentence, stated twice as a qualifier. You may prefer the M50 over everything, but most people with a large experience of cans in the price range would likely disagree.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #77 of 856
I guess I keep forgetting that at this price point, you're not going to get a phone that does everything perfectly, and the M50 is kind of an all-rounder... And while it's good at it, it can't be perfect at this price. I should be trying to compare it to other all-rounders, as opposed to stuff like Grados that are clearly made to perform fantastically for a specific genre and aren't so great with the rest. This might have had something to do with me not being that thrilled with them, because I usually measure a headphones by how well it does at it's best genre. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #80 of 856
Why are we comparing the M50s to HD600s? Or any open headphone for that matter? Apples and oranges.

IMO they are the best all-rounder headphones, especially at that price point, that I can think of in terms of checking off the following factors all at once:

- portability
- isolation
- comfort
- build quality
- looks (it's nice to not have the headband sticking out in every which direction when you're out in public. Of course, YMMV.)
- sound quality
- genre

I am not saying the M50s do the absolute best job in each of these categories, but they do a very good, reasonable job within all of these factors. It's why I believe they're worth their price, as fulfilling all of these priorities is a bit rare in a headphone.

Some comparisons to other headphones:

Timbre quality/accuracy is better than the V6s, although the V6s beat it in comfort and overall balance. My D1000s beat it in overall SQ and comfort but they don't isolate nada. The HDJ-2000s felt more bulky and were not as isolating for portable use. The D1100 is comparable in isolation, more comfortable, but I found the sound quality on the M50s much better than the D1100. The MS400s are more portable and isolate well but SQ is not as good as the M50 IMHO. The only headphone in the price range that can beat it within all the factors I've listed above is the HD25 and even those may be uncomfortable for some since they're on-ear. Anyway, I have yet to come across a headphone that can check off all those factors in one shot. I had some HFI-700s and as good as those sounded, they were way too colored (I'm very big on timbre accuracy) and not as comfortable/head-conforming as the M50s.

The backlash on these cans is a bit over-the-top, and the fact that they're being compared to some $300 headphones is even more over-the-top. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #81 of 856
Someone brought up the fact the fact that they were 'better than anything they had heard under $300' so we all got a little riled and started listing off things under 300 that could take it. 

Have you heard the KNS 8400? I liked those more than the M50, and I thought they were very similar... If you like an 'accurate' headphone you should check them out. Very balanced. But also seem to have some pair-to-pair variance. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #82 of 856

Quote:
Why are we comparing the M50s to HD600s? Or any open headphone for that matter? Apples and oranges.

IMO they are the best all-rounder headphones, especially at that price point, that I can think of in terms of checking off the following factors all at once:

- portability
- isolation
- comfort
- build quality
- looks (it's nice to not have the headband sticking out in every which direction when you're out in public. Of course, YMMV.)
- sound quality
- genre

I am not saying the M50s do the absolute best job in each of these categories, but they do a very good, reasonable job within all of these factors. It's why I believe they're worth their price, as fulfilling all of these priorities is a bit rare in a headphone.

Some comparisons to other headphones:

Timbre quality/accuracy is better than the V6s, although the V6s beat it in comfort and overall balance. My D1000s beat it in overall SQ and comfort but they don't isolate nada. The HDJ-2000s felt more bulky and were not as isolating for portable use. The D1100 is comparable in isolation, more comfortable, but I found the sound quality on the M50s much better than the D1100. The MS400s are more portable and isolate well but SQ is not as good as the M50 IMHO. The only headphone in the price range that can beat it within all the factors I've listed above is the HD25 and even those may be uncomfortable for some since they're on-ear. Anyway, I have yet to come across a headphone that can check off all those factors in one shot. I had some HFI-700s and as good as those sounded, they were way too colored (I'm very big on timbre accuracy) and not as comfortable/head-conforming as the M50s.

The backlash on these cans is a bit over-the-top, and the fact that they're being compared to some $300 headphones is even more over-the-top. Just my 2 cents.

Assuming your points are valid (I personally disagree on portability, comfort, and SQ), it brings up another good point. Since the M50s are supposed to be this "adequate" all-rounder, it truly wouldn't be the best for those asking for their first can on the forums. Most of them have very specific requirements that we have them list, and then many ignore those and go straight for the M50. If they want bass, and HFI-580 does it better with the same form factor as the M50. If they want soundstage, the FA-003 does it better and also isolates extremely well and is more comfortable. If they want something ultra-portable, the HD-25 blows it out of the water.

Another major problem with the M50 recommendation spree of the past few years is that some ignore the specific requirements of each person and went straight to the M50s. It's certainly a capable all-rounder, but most first-time posters are willing to forgo at least one or two of your points mentioned for an increase in another, which is where more specialized cans come in.

Also, the HD600 comparisons arose when another poster said that they prefer the M50 to any headphone under $300.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #83 of 856
The hype is justified, but with specific exceptions.  Everything that was mentioned by practically everyone has at least a grain of truth in it.  It's all very subjective, and while I don't have 500+ posts, I've learned that some people just have the complete opposite experience that I have with head-fi equipment, and none of us are wrong. 

The weakest attribute of the M50 is their sound stage.  My Grado SR-80i is worse in this department, but the M50 has most of the sound seemingly coming at you from a single point.  But for the price they are nice, versatile headphones that work very well with a majority of music genres.

When listening to music at very low volume levels, these shine.  If anyone is familiar with a stereo "Loudness" feature, where the extreme low and high frequencies are boosted, this is basically what the natural sound signature of the M50 offers.  It is a "V" shape on an EQ setting, and these headphones bring out the lows and highs, while suppressing the mid frequencies that are generally in everyone's wheelhouse when it comes to hearing ability.  We lose our lower and upper frequency hearing over time, and boosting these a bit helps to bring about a flat, balanced listening experienced for many of us. 

The combination of outstanding isolation, which lowers the overall noise floor in the listening environment, along with the elevated lows and highs, makes this pair of headphones spectacular in its price range with almost any type of music when the source is played at very low volumes.  The bass seems to "bully" the other frequencies too much when cranking up the volume, but with certain genres, even this attribute sounds fantastic, but it begins to lose the all-rounder appeal.

It should be obvious, but this is all just my opinion.  Nothing personal intended.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #84 of 856

Quote:
Assuming your points are valid (I personally disagree on portability, comfort, and SQ), it brings up another good point. Since the M50s are supposed to be this "adequate" all-rounder, it truly wouldn't be the best for those asking for their first can on the forums. Most of them have very specific requirements that we have them list, and then many ignore those and go straight for the M50. If they want bass, and HFI-580 does it better with the same form factor as the M50. If they want soundstage, the FA-003 does it better and also isolates extremely well and is more comfortable. If they want something ultra-portable, the HD-25 blows it out of the water.

Another major problem with the M50 recommendation spree of the past few years is that some ignore the specific requirements of each person and went straight to the M50s. It's certainly a capable all-rounder, but most first-time posters are willing to forgo at least one or two of your points mentioned for an increase in another, which is where more specialized cans come in.

Also, the HD600 comparisons arose when another poster said that they prefer the M50 to any headphone under $300.

I see. Well then, let's not blame the headphone, but the people with little experience who get a bit post-happy on this site. As an entry-can to a newbie who doesn't really know what he/she wants in a headphone, however, I think the M50 is a fine and fair headphone to recommend and to compare to other headphones to in the future. At least, that's been my experience.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #85 of 856

Quote:
Someone brought up the fact the fact that they were 'better than anything they had heard under $300' so we all got a little riled and started listing off things under 300 that could take it. 

Have you heard the KNS 8400? I liked those more than the M50, and I thought they were very similar... If you like an 'accurate' headphone you should check them out. Very balanced. But also seem to have some pair-to-pair variance. 

Unfortunately, I haven't heard them but have heard of them. I'll be sure to read up on them. :)

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #88 of 856

Quote:
The M50's mids aren't that recessed and I can't stand recessed midrange.  I think most people who find the M50's mids recessed are just used to the upper midrange emphasis that most headphones have. 

That's a pretty good point, how ever the mids don't really stand out against anything else in the spectrum.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #90 of 856
Re the comments on "Enter Darkness" possibly trolling - this could provide a possible explanation (I'm guessing - but it seems too close)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591135/metalhead-who-just-bought-grado-sr225i-What/45#post_8073075

Users who are viewing this thread

Back