A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #47 of 856
I just gotta say the M50 is one of the worst FOTM headphones to spring up on head-fi. The worst being the PRO900's.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #48 of 856

Quote:
I just gotta say the M50 is one of the worst FOTM headphones to spring up on head-fi. The worst being the PRO900's.

I'd say it depends heavily on the pricing. At ~$100 it's justified, at +$150 not so. There's a very tight competition in this price range so $50 is a big deal. In europe it's always been $150+ so I had called it more of a US FOTM.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #49 of 856

Quote:

See I think this is just as far off base as the hype.  There's no way the M50 is the worst FOTM.  That's just silly.  I wonder if noobs were buying up Stax if the old members here would start bashing stax?  If Bose was a small company would you all start raving about them?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #50 of 856

Quote:

Worst? Worst is not fair. Every high end reviewer has praised them and i feel they are great. Best value under $200 to me. Something this good for $100 is just plain ridiculous.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #51 of 856
i personally think dt770 pro 80s are significantly better than the ath-m50. depends what sound you like i guess.

the ath-m50 are way less comfortable, and sit on my ear rather than over. the dt770 are far more in the highs, and better bass response for me.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #52 of 856
  The bass is fat, ill defined and of a one note character. The mid-bass is congested, thick and slow, with a depression (reduction) of response throughout the entire midrange. The treble merely "spits". Other than that it's a nice phone
blink.gif
!!

I couldn't think of one redeeming audio feature I could hang my hat on. Physically? It appears well constructed for it's price point. I couldn't give mine away with good conscience...simply don't dislike anyone that much. I trashed em' (thank goodness I bought them used)! 

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #53 of 856
  The bass is fat, ill defined and of a one note character. The mid-bass is congested, thick and slow, with a depression (reduction) of response throughout the entire midrange. The treble merely "spits". Other than that it's a nice phone:blink: !!

I couldn't think of one redeeming audio feature I could hang my hat on. Physically? It appears well constructed for it's price point. I couldn't give mine away with good conscience...simply don't dislike anyone that much. I trashed em' (thank goodness I bought them used)! 

C'mon now dude, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! :D

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #54 of 856

Quote:
See I think this is just as far off base as the hype.  There's no way the M50 is the worst FOTM.  That's just silly.  I wonder if noobs were buying up Stax if the old members here would start bashing stax?  If Bose was a small company would you all start raving about them?

I heard the M50's. Hated everything about them, IMO they had very weak bass, the mid range was just sloppy and recessed,and the high end was very rolled off. Head-fi was set on fire with constant M50 everything.
Bass headphones-M50!
Neutral headphone-M50!
Aggressive headphone-M50!
Comfortable headphone-M50!
New to the he-M50!
I'm look-M50!

Just FYI during the M50 FOTM I was still a new member LOOKING into the M50's, instead I got the HFI-580. the D1100 were even better but I was coming off my sr80i high and wanted something more "shouty" I'm not bashing them because I'm being a hipster on head-fi I'm saying I think they were ONE of the worst FOTM headphones because I think they were. As for the Pro900, take a look at the for sale forum and see the mass exodus of them for Penny's on the dollar. If Bose were a small company they would stay that way, as there headphones are WAY to over priced for the build, and sound. I mean $350 for around ears that look like they are held together with twigs; They don't even use real leather for that price man.

Forgot to mention I have heard them since that time and my opinion has not changed.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #55 of 856

Quote:
I heard the M50's. Hated everything about them, IMO they had very weak bass, the mid range was just sloppy and recessed,and the high end was very rolled off. Head-fi was set on fire with constant M50 everything.
Bass headphones-M50!
Neutral headphone-M50!
Aggressive headphone-M50!
Comfortable headphone-M50!
New to the he-M50!
I'm look-M50!

Just FYI during the M50 FOTM I was still a new member LOOKING into the M50's, instead I got the HFI-580. the D1100 were even better but I was coming off my sr80i high and wanted something more "shouty" I'm not bashing them because I'm being a hipster on head-fi I'm saying I think they were ONE of the worst FOTM headphones because I think they were. As for the Pro900, take a look at the for sale forum and see the mass exodus of them for Penny's on the dollar. If Bose were a small company they would stay that way, as there headphones are WAY to over priced for the build, and sound. I mean $350 for around ears that look like they are held together with twigs; They don't even use real leather for that price man.

Forgot to mention I have heard them since that time and my opinion has not changed.

Then whats with the grado praise on head-fi? They are equally absurdly priced.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #56 of 856

Quote:
Then whats with the grado praise on head-fi? They are equally absurdly priced.

Grado's use leather. The headband I have never had problems with and it feels very built. The little sticks that adjust the earcups are meh. They have better sound quality than Bose by far, diminished returns really kicks in at the RS series I feel where all Bose is is diminished returns.  $250-300 for the 325is is pushing it and the RS series just kind of takes off from there. You could make this argument with Sennheiser, Denon, and SOME ultrasones.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #57 of 856
When I first bought mine, it was around $100.  No lie, the sound quality blew my mind, it was also my first real step into "better" headphones - compared to say store-bought Sony or Bose.  If you're a first timer, there is nothing wrong with thinking that the M50's are the crown.  I'd say, let people be and let them enjoy what is still an excellent headphone.  I thought the goal of the audio journey was to find something that makes you smile, even if it is from Bose.  That is really the crown in itself.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #58 of 856

Quote:
  The bass is fat, ill defined and of a one note character. The mid-bass is congested, thick and slow, with a depression (reduction) of response throughout the entire midrange. The treble merely "spits". Other than that it's a nice phone
blink.gif
!!

ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back