a comparison review: Meier-Audio CORDA PCSTEP vs HRT microStreamer vs Fiio E10K
Aug 30, 2014 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

eyal1983

500+ Head-Fier
Those are 3 very different DAC/AMP combos. with 3 different sound attitudes.
All very portables, lightweight, and designed to get their power from the computer’s USB port.
I had many toys before (just look at my profile page), and I also tried some high-end products. Not too long later, I discovered that the high-end gear was an absolute overkill for me, so I wanted to go small. That’s why I’ve decided to make this test.

Let’s begin.

Sound characteristics (purely subjective, of course)

HRT
The most bright and aggressive of all 3. Its sound signature is similar to that of the DragonFly v1 (Audio-Quest), only it betters it in every aspect. It’s very unwelcoming to listen to YouTube files / watch CAM movies with it. There is too much treble air, and it’s not hiding any distortion/artifact/disharmonies/…
It’s an excellent device for those who are looking for a tight sound, very detailed, with Audiophiliac qualities to it.
Personally, I’m not crazy about those highly detailed devices. Because for me, it is sometimes a bit too much on my ears.
Don’t mistake – the HRT is not analytical with elevated treble, but it’s neutral to bright.
The only thing I didn’t like about the HRT’s sound quality is its bass. For some reason, I feel it to be wobbly most of the time. I’m yet to find a more suitable word to describe it.
Of all 3, it’s just not the best for Dance music.

Fiio
After coming from the HRT, the Fiio sounds closed, more congested (but more intimate) in comparison. It certainly does exhibit less treble air and sound-stage.
In its favour though, its bass is excellent – both in quantity and quality. Very accurate. I think it’s the DAC’s quality (the PCM5102 is known for its rich (bot not overpowering) bass and musicality). It somehow manages to throw just the right amount of sub-bass. I really like this trait.
It has a special feature, called the bass-boost switch. I tried it for 5 seconds… I can only prescribe it for people who want a “sub-woofer” in their ears – this is want it was meant for, per se.
Versus the old E10? It’s a complete make-over. It’s cleaner, with wider sound-stage, and clearer voicing. Definitely a step-up, and an excellent device for beginners who want to upgrade the SQ from their computer.
Regarding the “forgiving” quality, it’s different than the PCSTEP’s. While the PCSTEP is forgiving, the Fiio somehow manages to do the same, but in a more musical manner. It’s almost like it has a special secretive “anti-harsh” filter. No sibilance issues at all!

PCSTEP
The most transparent of the bunch, with forgiving sound (slightly less details, and slightly recessed treble). It might be lacking some of the musicality found in the Fiio, but it’s better this way for people who prefer technicalities / accuracy. It did remind me of the Objective2 amplifier on the first time I listened to it… but without the harshness of course.
In any way, it does have an excellent and meaty bass. Even more so than the Fiio’s. though, maybe not as fast.

Build quality

PCSTEP
The enclosure is made entirely of aluminum, feels like a small tank, but is the weightiest of the bunch (119 gr). It has the best volume dial of the three.

Fiio
Weights at 78, made of brushed metal, which feels nice in hands. The volume dial is good too, but not PCSTEP’s level good.

HRT
Feels cheap, but it isn’t. It is aluminum. At 23 gr. of weight, it’s the lightest of the bunch.

Features (or: “competitive advantages”)

PCSTEP
This is the only one which can use either the USB connection, a 9v battery, or an external PSU (up to 15v !), which makes it the most portable, and the strongest (power-wise), in a way that it can suit almost all types of dynamic headphones in existence, small or big.
It supports media up to 16/48.
It has a strong blue light, which can be bothersome if using it close to you when watching T.V / …
It can work as a DAC/AMP / just an AMP. And it really does a great job as an amp. It is almost completely transparent. It best described as neutral with a hint of warmth/smooth when used as an AMP only (tried it with a HiFiMeDIY DAC unit).
It has a 2 gain levels.

Fiio
It has a Micro-USB port for input (a very tight one), a coaxial output port, a gain switch (L/H), a line-out port, a headphone out port, a bass boost switch, and the volume dial.
It supports media up to 24/96.
It too has a strong blue light, which can be trouble if using it close to you when watching T.V / …
It can work as a DAC / DAC&AMP.

HRT
No buttons here. Only one USB port, and two output jacks (one for the headphone, and one for an amp). The volume is then controlled via the software (which is good if using a remote).
It uses an asynchronous USB transfer protocol (can eliminate timing errors / jitter).
It supports media up to 24/96.
When playing something, it shows the resolution in a special color. Almost invisible at night.
It can work as a DAC / DAC&AMP.
NO gain level selector.

Heating

The HRT is getting warm pretty fast
The Fiio manages to stay slightly above the room temperature
The PCSTEP does the best job here.

Volume Headroom

PCSTEP
When dealing with small / sensitive headphones/IEMs, the PCSTEP has a discreet volume control, which means that you get the most volume headroom of the 3, without channel imbalance, even for the most sensitive IEMs. At normal listening levels, using low gain, and with my 16ohm IEMs, I manage to go all the way up to 12 o’clock on the volume dial… which gives me about 65-70dB.

Fiio
Passing 1/8 is too much… so I have about 12.5% headroom here.

HRT
Using the volume slider on the Foobar audio player, getting to 10-15%, almost identical to the
Fiio’s.

Prices and Sites

PCSTEP
Looks like 300$ right now
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Fiio
Looks like 76$ on Amazon
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000059783139&MenuID=105026003

HRT
Looks like 200$ on Amazon
http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=107

Conclusions

A DAC chip. Has more influence on the sound than the OPAMP. Tough, there are many factors which contribute to that.

An amp. Does not change the headphone / IEM sound character. It may bring it to its potential / sometimes it manages to balance it a little.
But, a warm headphone stays warm, whilst a cold/bright headphone will stay cold/bright.

Scores

Classical music / detailing / Audiophiliac qualities: HRT > PCSTEP > Fiio

“Sound temperature” (brightest to warmest): HRT , PCSTEP , Fiio

Sound-Stage: HRT > PCSTEP >= Fiio

Dance music / “fun”: Fiio > PCSTEP > HRT

“Forgiveness to junk”: Fiio > PCSTEP > HRT

Power / driving ability: PCSTEP >> Fiio > HRT

Device temperature: PCSTEP >= Fiio > HRT

Market price: PCSTEP > HRT >> Fiio

I think that at this stage, we’ve established an opinion for each device’s characteristics.

Which device do I recommend?

I keep switching between the Fiio and the HRT, because sometimes I do appreciate the high level and detailing of the HRT, and on the other hand – sometimes I listen to dance music or very low-bitrate files, and prefer the new Fiio, with its musicality.

Nonetheless, The PCSTEP is the one I’d best and sincerely recommend to the “one for all” user, who wishes to be left unencumbered.
Why? Because if you’re thinking of taking it to the road, or, using big and demanding  headphones, then the advantage certainly goes for the PCSTEP;
it just wins the others on both portability and power matters.

Also, The PCSTEP has the meatiest bass of all three.

And last but not least - For me, this is the only portable DAC/AMP combo. device which really joins both worlds SQ-wise – Audiophile-users and normal guys, who listen not only to FLAC files, but also sometimes “sin” with lower-bitrate media :wink:   
...Definitely a top-pick.

Music files used for this comparison

“A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera - Say Something”
“Alice Cooper – Poison”
“Bach - Violin Concerto No.1 in A minor, BWV 1041 - 3. Allegro assai”
"Chris Parker - Don't Let Go (ft. Polina)" 
"Christina Milian - AM To PM" 
"Chris de Burgh - Time in a Bottle" 
“East 17 – Thunder”
"Emily Haines - White Gold" 
“Freddie Mercury - Living On My Own”
"Vittorio Monti – Czardas" 

Pictures

Here
or, a Direct link: http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/eyal1983/library/test%20-%20HRT%20MS%20vs%20PCSTEP%20vs%20Fiio%20E10K?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for watching,
/Eyal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back