A Comparison of different Virtual Surround Sound on the same Audio Track
Mar 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #19 of 33
Dreyka,

I just saw that you announced the other day you wanted to compare the different virtual surround sound technologies and products.
Did you end up doing it and what findings did you come up with?

I'm curious :)

Best,
- Thomas

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 33
Wow @Dreyka, that was quite a lot of work you did there. Much appreciated.

I personally was unable with the my headphones to perceive any real difference between the raw 2 channel and the SBX files. Can other people feel any? Or are my headphones?
I could perceive a little difference with the Dolby, and I did not like it.

I have downloaded Razor but the installation seems to have failed. Not a good beginning.
Out of your Head was a major disappointment, organized for presets which imitates/reproduce the sound of existing speakers. An idea which I find very boring. You can not customize the sound as you want. I am looking more for something like the App of Parrot Zik 2, where you can tweak things as you wish to place the sound where you want.
Besides most presets on Out of your Head were just abusing of reverb in a metallic way.
I am looking for a "only software" solution with can works under Windows 7 64 bit and if I find an App for Android it would be great.

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 33
  Out of your Head was a major disappointment, organized for presets which imitates/reproduce the sound of existing speakers. An idea which I find very boring. You can not customize the sound as you want. I am looking more for something like the App of Parrot Zik 2, where you can tweak things as you wish to place the sound where you want.
Besides most presets on Out of your Head were just abusing of reverb in a metallic way.

Sorry you did not like the sound of Out Of Your Head. 

In some cases, the initial impression of Out Of Your Head can be mixed. However I have posted on the Out Of Your Head thread about possible solutions. In the Troubleshooting section (at the end) of the FAQ on our website, I also have some similar solutions.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/15#post_9970019
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/30#post_9989480

Other times, users have found that the poor sound quality has been due to other audio software applying some additional audio effects and interfering with Out Of Your Head. 

I also wanted to point out that Out Of Your Head does not add reverb in the conventional sense. It recreates the acoustic signature of the room and speakers that were measured. Yes, if the room was bright and did not have a lot of room treatments, then you will hear more reflections of the audio in the room. But for environments that had a lot of acoustic treatment like the recording studios, then the sound will have much less reverberation. There is no "reverb" setting internally or user controlled setting to change the sound of the measurement.

I know Out Of Your Head is not for everyone, but I would highly recommend people try it for themselves on our pre-rendered online demo page. No need to install any software. Just plug in your headphones and listen to the clips on our demo page.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #23 of 33
@darinf, thanks for the feedback, but, I just felt the idea of reproducing the sound of existing speakers not interesting. For my needs, of course.
I am only interested in something which I can personalize.
I understand you may not have used reverb but, the sound is often very metallic.
Some preset are cool. I like the Magic Speakers, the Zen, the Italian. A few more.
But, I do not find cool that the bypass option is NOT a real bypass. The difference between the bypass option and the sound with your program completely off, is HUGE.
When your program is off, my headphones sound wonderful. WIth your program on, and the bypass option, the headphones sound flat, boring. So, when I switch between one of the effects and the bypass, to see the difference between using your program or not, I actually am NOT seeing the REAL difference, because your bypass make my headphones sound BAD.
I do not know if this is a bug or what else, but you should improve it, because it gives the impression of an unclear and unfrai strategy to convince people that your effects are cooler than they are (that without them the headphones sound flat).

Anyway. There is some value in your work. It still is somehow nice for some music. But, for my tastes the uses are too limited, if I cannot customize the sound.
Besides, it is TOTALLY useless for watching movies with a Bluetooth Headphone, because it makes the Latency absolutely impossible. As soon as I use your program, the audio goes immediately out of sync.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #24 of 33
  Besides, it is TOTALLY useless for watching movies with a Bluetooth Headphone, because it makes the Latency absolutely impossible. As soon as I use your program, the audio goes immediately out of sync.

Yes, There is an audio delay with Out Of Your Head. As mentioned in the manual, in order to sync the audio, you can adjust the audio sync in your media player app. Most media players have audio sync adjustments to compensate for the latency of the Out Of Your Head processing. We are working on a lower latency version of Out Of Your Head, but for now, there is a significant delay when using Out Of Your Head processing. However, it's not an issue for most video playback applications like JRiver, VLC, Kodi, Netflix, etc.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #25 of 33
  Yes, There is an audio delay with Out Of Your Head. However, it's not an issue for most video playback applications like JRiver, VLC, Kodi, Netflix, etc.

Future is streaming online.
No chances with Out of your Head.
I must say I did not try it wired.
Anyway. It's all ok. You must know what you want to do.
People will always complain. Nothing will ever satisfy everybody.
I do not like your program. How it sounds, how it organized, the idea behind it, the false bypass, the delay.
But I am I. I am as important as anybody else, but no more than that.
So, just think about it and then make out of it what you believe in.
As far as you realize your vision, that's good.

I wish you all the best.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #28 of 33
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

RazerSurround is good too, for movies and gaming. its only $20.

Thanks, but that's a configuration for foobar2000, and I find surround sound useless for music, I just want to make it work for my games... Is there any way to apply Dolby Headphone system-wide?

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #29 of 33

Thanks, but that's a configuration for foobar2000, and I find surround sound useless for music, I just want to make it work for my games... Is there any way to apply Dolby Headphone system-wide?

Yes, it's possible but you have to jump through hoops.
You need the VST wrapper, the DLL, a VST host and a virtual audio cable.

1. The VST wrapper
2. Cyberlink DVD Software (the DLL is located in the install folder)
3. VSTHost (I'm a novice and found this difficult to use, I don't think it has Wasapi) or Reaper (I use it personally, 60 day trial isn't crippled) or any VST host
4. VBcable (free) or Razer Surround (more reliable and possible to use the WDM driver without buying it, I own it but just use the driver nowadays)
5. Here's a thread on setting it up for reaper

If this is too much I think you should just try Razer's software it doesn't add the reverb DH does and has 7.1 support

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #30 of 33
  Yes, it's possible but you have to jump through hoops.
You need the VST wrapper, the DLL, a VST host and a virtual audio cable.

1. The VST wrapper
2. Cyberlink DVD Software (the DLL is located in the install folder)
3. VSTHost (I'm a novice and found this difficult to use, I don't think it has Wasapi) or Reaper (I use it personally, 60 day trial isn't crippled) or any VST host
4. VBcable (free) or Razer Surround (more reliable and possible to use the WDM driver without buying it, I own it but just use the driver nowadays)
5. Here's a thread on setting it up for reaper

If this is too much I think you should just try Razer's software it doesn't add the reverb DH does and has 7.1 support

Thank you sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back