A Coda and an Overture from HeadRoom
Jul 19, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #466 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
All of the Sony PCDP's (for the past several years) use what they refer to as a 1 bit quartz time-axis control DAC. That's why although features vary on different model numbers, the sound doesn't. I'm using a D-NE920 with the Micro DAC and there's just no comparison. The Micro DAC spanks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
It's a night and day improvement when using the D-EJ1000 (which I'm pretty sure is essentially the same). It's going to be a major improvement over ANY PDCP dac, I'd think.

Thanks very much! I will give Micro DAC a try. My wallet is crying...
600smile.gif

The only "inconvenience" is Micro DAC's input/output jacks are on the front panel, when it uses with my MOH, it will look a little bit strange....

Aug 21, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #467 of 481
sorry if this had been mentioned before in the previous pages... (too lazy to read through all of them XD), but how does the overture DAC compare with the Micro DAC, since they are similarly priced.

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #468 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
sorry if this had been mentioned before in the previous pages... (too lazy to read through all of them XD), but how does the overture DAC compare with the Micro DAC, since they are similarly priced.

Well, the Overture is no longer available since it was a limited edition product released at the beginning of 2005 with only 25 produced (and only 20 of which sold outside of HeadRoom). It served as the predecessor design for the Micro DAC and helped as a transition product to announce the upcoming revamped HeadRoom lines.

The Micro DAC is pretty much the same internally as the Overture, except it uses a more power conserving AD822 opamp (approximately 20 hours of battery life) vs. the Overture with a slightly better sounding Burr Brown 2134 (which only has about 8 hours of battery life). So that is a bit of a tradeoff in terms battery life vs. edge in performance gain. The Micro DAC benefits from having an integrated toslink/coaxial mini jack, where the Overture has just a standard sized toslink output jack.

It may be hard to find an Overture in the secondary market, but there are plenty of very satisfied Micro DAC owners out there. It's an extremely well concieved product with high performance to price ratio. I think it's one of the genuine audio bargains.

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #469 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski

The Micro DAC is pretty much the same internally as the Overture, except it uses a more power conserving AD822 opamp (approximately 20 hours of battery life) vs. the Overture with a slightly better sounding Burr Brown 2134 (which only has about 8 hours of battery life). So that is a bit of a tradeoff in terms battery life vs. edge in performance gain.

The Micro DAC (with AD822) gets 8 hours of battery life on two alkaline 9V.

The Micro Amp with micro module (which has AD822) gets around 20 hours on two alkaline 9V.

The Micro DAC is still power hungry, as most DACs are.

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #470 of 481
My experience with the battery life is this:

MicroDAC runs approximately 6 hours on 2 Accupower 270 mAH batteries.

MicroAmp with Desktop module runs 5 hours on 2 Accupower 270 mAH batteries, with the iPower 220 mAH batteries less.

I my opinion I would classify the Headroom MicroAmp with the Desktop module as a great transportable headphone amplifier for the price. You need an extra AC adapter if you don't want to carry one around with you or work with extra batteries.

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #471 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
The Micro DAC (with AD822) gets 8 hours of battery life on two alkaline 9V.

The Micro Amp with micro module (which has AD822) gets around 20 hours on two alkaline 9V.

The Micro DAC is still power hungry, as most DACs are.

One question here is whether both MicroDAC and MicroAMP are using AD822. The impression I got before is there is no AMP IC in MicroDAC.

Aug 21, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #472 of 481
This has been asked and answered somewhere in the thread noted a top each page as "A Coda and an Overture from HeadRoom" link. On page 14 where these components are introduced is a discussion of this. Oh, right,
600smile.gif
that is this thread, check out page 14.

But does it matter if it sounds good?

Aug 21, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #473 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
One question here is whether both MicroDAC and MicroAMP are using AD822. The impression I got before is there is no AMP IC in MicroDAC.

The Micro module has the AD822 chip.

There is an AD822 opamp in the Micro DAC as well. Opamps aren't only used in headphone amps.

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #474 of 481
Quote:

The Micro module has the AD822 chip.

There is an AD822 opamp in the Micro DAC as well. Opamps aren't only used in headphone amps.

Teerawit,
Thanks very much!

Why I pay attention to AD822 opamp in MicroDAC is I know the performance spec of both OPA627 and OPA2134 are much better than AD822's.

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #475 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Teerawit,
Thanks very much!

Why I pay attention to AD822 opamp in MicroDAC is I know the performance spec of both OPA627 and OPA2134 are much better than AD822's.

That's true, as the higher Headroom DACs implement the OPA2134 and OPA627 ICs....but still, the AD822 is a solid performer in the Micro DAC!

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #477 of 481
Please use the forum search for the microamp, there are several comparisons that have already been done on this forum. Also, look through the meet impressions subforum for the headroom tour meets, that will also give a few recent impressions.

Sep 28, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #478 of 481
Quote:

That's true, as the higher Headroom DACs implement the OPA2134 and OPA627 ICs....but still, the AD822 is a solid performer in the Micro DAC!

[size=small]
Inquiring minds would like to know:

Is the AD822 opamp in the MicroDAC user replaceable?[/size]

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #479 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]
Inquiring minds would like to know:

Is the AD822 opamp in the MicroDAC user replaceable?[/size]

It's soldered onto the board.

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #480 of 481
Quote:

It's soldered onto the board.

[size=small]I suspected as much. Oh well!, I suppose it's worth it for portable applications.
cool.gif
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back