A cheap beginner's PC set-up
Apr 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 24
I don't really understand what you think monitors sound like. If you think the AV40 sound boring or not musical you are wrong. The are actually very good for electronic music imho. If you really want you can always use a software eq but I find that completely unnecessary.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #17 of 24
Thanks for the info, Melie! I think those AV40 would be great for my needs. I think, though, that buying speakers with a built in dac would best fit my needs. The Behringer ms40 has a built-in dac. Does anybody know if they are good speakers?

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 24
I've ordered a toslink cable to connect my Creative Audigy 2 ZS digital out to any bookshelf speaker with optical in. I found the Edirol MA-15DBK (or just 15-D, not black version, ugly imho) and the Behringer MS40, which is 33% percent cheaper. I'm inclined to getting the Edirols, because I read good things about them. The Behringers also sound nice in reviews, but I read that the brand is not that good quality. They seem to try to sell as much as possible for as little as possible and that isn't a good sign. Any body ever compared these two speakers?

May 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 24
What did you end up buying EDP? I'm in the market for a new speaker setup, and I have a similar budget, and also listen to electronic music primarily (trance/prog house). 

May 25, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #20 of 24
Nothing yet. Still looking. I got an offer for €134 (= $188) for the Edirol MA-15DBK's (new), but now I do want an accurately produced bass. That means that I might get better value for money if I spend around €150 ($210) for a 2.1 set with satellites that have a response that sounds great with the subwoofer. Don't know anything about 2.1 sets.

The other day a read a PC magazine comparing 2.1 sets up to €150 and the Edifier Prisma was the best option for the money (according to the test, compared to some logitech and teufel sets, the comparison was scientifically quite professional using good hardware ans software tests and comparisons and descriptions of how the tests were conducted). It costs around €100 ($140) in the dutch Apple store (I found a new one on a subsite of Ebay in Amsterdam for only €74 ($104)).

Does anybody have this 2.1 set, or do you know how they sound? I'll be getting the €74 pair when I have the money (currently not, because of the summertrips I'm paying for these months).

May 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #21 of 24
I have the edifier s730 the top of edifiers 2.1 range, it's better than the other in the box 2.1 systems and edifier generally make the best sounding 2.1's but it's sound quality is no where my seperate 2.1 system I put together myself, I recommend you create your own 2.1 system start with the monitors the Edirol MA-15DBK's will do fine and sound miles better then the satilites from a 2.1system, you could also consider the Edifier r1900's or look for a used amp and speakers , you can pair any of these monitors with a cheap sub see whats avaible on your subsite of Ebay site look for a sub with a rca pass though , rca in and out for ease of connections.

May 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 24
If you can swing it, I would highly suggest the Xonar ST/STX (DX/D1 is that's out of your price range) and Swan D1010 2.0 speakers. I'm thoroughly impressed with this setup for the cost. The ST/STX is great since it will power just about any headphones you throw at it if you end up going that route down the road.

May 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 24
I think I have decided what to go for. My current system still impresses me, by which I mean to say that I'm a bit scared to buy the Edirols or something of the like and that they will disappoint me.
It's a bit 'overdone' if I buy a set of speakers with a built in DAC, when there's also the option of buying a desktop DAC (like the already mentioned NuForce Icon uDAC-2). This amp will not only power my headphones to the next level, but also be the right DAC for my current speaker set up.

It leaves me the option for when the day comes that I want a new speaker system. I can connect about anything I want to the uDAC-2 via it's RCA out connections.

I'm still in a doubt of what to buy for my portable wishes. I could get the FiiO E7 or NuForce Icon Mobile, and use those as my desktop DAC too. The problem is I don't like the fact that they're battery powered, where the udac-2 is not (but is not portable).

Then again, I could buy the udac-2 for home use and (when it comes out, or is it already?) the FiiO E11 for my portable amping. Any thoughts on these amps? Other options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back