A chassis diy'ers new best friend?
Aug 19, 2004 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nisbeth

Headphoneus Supremus
9823.jpg

A few weeks ago I had the chance to play with one of these stepped drillbits in the prototype shop at work. I really liked it so I went out and bought a set of three for myself. They were not cheap but I hoped they could make chassis-building a little easier. I have tons of completed amps and other things laying around just waiting to be cased up, but I have never been able to get very good results and so I have tended to shy away from this job.

To make a long story a bit shorter (
wink.gif
), these drills are by far the best tool purchase I have made in a very long time. The holes they make are perfectly round and the tolerances are more than good enough for most casing jobs. I have drilled perfect 8 and 12 mm holes in 1,5 mm transparent PU that is so soft I can cut it with a pair of scissors and perfect 24 mm holes (for Neutrik XLR and Speakon jacks) in a pre-anodised 3 mm aluminum panel. For the larger holes I have used a drill press because I have access to it, but for the smaller holes I have simply used my cordless drill. As long as the workpiece is securely fastened, either in a vise or clamped to a table or similar, it's no problem at all (though perhaps accuracy is compromised a bit). I simply go very slowly and try to keep the drill steady. For aluminum I use alcohol as cooling/lubrication.

I haven't tried the bits in steel yet, but I imagine they work well as long as liberal amounts of proper cutting fluid are used for cooling/lubrication.

I have probably done more casework in the three weeks after I got these drillbits than the entire year before and the results are good enough to meet even my high requirements, so naturally they are highly recommended
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

PS: These are also available in a conical version without steps. This version is not recommended as it can't really be used without a drill press and because getting the diameter right is difficult especially in thick materials.

Aug 20, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 10
ok. so whats it called and where can i buy em
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 10
I agree. I finally finished some projects that were sitting on the self just because they had no chassis. Makes some very clean holes.

Most people refer to them as unibit. You could get them at most hardware stores like home depot for like $20-30 each bit, but much cheaper online. I got mine off of ebay for like $10 with shipping.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

whats it called

The generic name is "step bit". Unibit and Kwik-Step are the most common brands in the US.

I agree, these are great to have, especially for larger holes, and drilling in brittle plastic and mint tins.

Aug 20, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gastro54
Do you use a drill press or a hand drill with these bits?

Either. I use them with my hand drill, they are invaluable.

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
For the larger holes I have used a drill press because I have access to it, but for the smaller holes I have simply used my cordless drill. As long as the workpiece is securely fastened, either in a vise or clamped to a table or similar, it's no problem at all (though perhaps accuracy is compromised a bit). I simply go very slowly and try to keep the drill steady. For aluminum I use alcohol as cooling/lubrication.

smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back