A CD Player...
Aug 14, 2003 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
... that's all. I thought all of them were created equal. Guess I was wrong.

Well this is for a friend. Here is what I'm thinking...

She'll be commuting to school everyday... a long 1.5 hour ride on the subway.... therefore it would be nice if it was portable and had good battery life. As you may already noticed, she's a student... therefore price is a big issue.

I'm thinkin... Koss KSC-50 for portable use. And Beyerdynamic DT250-80 for home use.

The Beyers I'm thinking would like an amp, therefore a MINT would be nice. If the amp could have both DC and battery power, then it would work wonderfully... though I dunno how much the KSC-50s will benefit from the amp.

The CD player must have wall/battery power utilisation though.

Music preference: Completely Classical. Very VERY rarely anything else.

If the Beyers are too rich for her blood, then maybe Senn HD280 Pro or HD497?

Wachu guys think? Recommendations please..

Aug 14, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 2
for headphone, I'd definitely go with etymotics for subway use, or at least something closed. Skip the koss.

and, I know I may get blasted for this one, but I'd skip the amp as well, for portable use. In my opinion, you can barely tell the difference between amped/unamped while riding on public transportation. The noise levels and low rumble degrade the sonic experience so much, trying to get that extra performance with an amp seems pointless to me. If I was going to spend money on an amp, I'd get a nice home unit.

as for cd-player, I don't know what the good portables are anymore, since I've been out of the market for probably 3 years now. You might have better luck searching on the portables forum, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back