a cartridge question
Nov 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ian atpr

New Head-Fier
I have noticed today that my turntable suddenly seems about 30-50% quieter and lacking in bass, so i'm just after opinions on/confirmations of my theory that the cartridge needs replacing if possible please..

I ruled out the speakers/amp having a problem because the cd player sounds fine.
I ruled out the pre-amp phono stage having a problem by plugging the turntable into the phono stage on the integrated amp and still getting a quiet/lacking sound.
I ruled out any sort of loose wire issue by swapping around a bunch of cables while doing the phono stage testing..

from what i have googled if the turntable is plugged into a working phono stage then quiet sound with low bass means the cartridge is kaput - is that a fair assumption or could there be some other issue i have missed? Can it just be the stylus or is it always the whole head? (this is just an ortofon 2m red, which i would probably upgrade anyway so it's bit of a moot point) 
how long should this stuff last because i think that cartridge has maybe 4-5 years on it, but i have no idea if that is a good innings or not...

a slight 'coincidence' is that we have just got cats and i found paw prints over my stereo 2 days ago AND i just rearranged the equipment on it's cabinet yesterday, since which i dont think i have listened to a record - could either of those things have done something simple like knock a connection loose?

edit: ortofon 2m red came fitted to the pro-ject rpm5.1 and hasn't been touched so it shouldn't be a tracking thing either?

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 8
  How exactly did you rearrange the equipment?  At risk of being made fun of, I find the further away from the front edge of the platform that stuff sits, the less energy I seem to get from it. Something to do with the effects of vibration.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 8
thanks for the reply; by 'rearranged' i meant that i both moved the turntable across a few inches and took out the headphone amp i had been using. i tried moving it back and, placebo effect or not, the bass came back a little. however, it is still quieter - where as the volume dial on 30 used to be enough it is now over 40 before it is at a decent volume.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 8
 Sorry i couldn't be of any real help.  Maybe the stylus needs cleaning or to be re-tipped but this kind of ware is usually gradual, so does that mean that if the cartridge has gone wrong, that it's the generator? Or maybe the cat might have knocked out of alignment some of your settings or messed up whatever suspension your turntable has.  Maybe it could be a loose wire or a loose interconnect.  Or the cat has magical abilities and is messing with your mind.  It seems like a complex problem with no easy answers. Sorry.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 8
cheers all,

i went to check this stuff and quite incidentally rested a small spirit level on the platter, which showed pretty clearly that the turntable was way off on an angle (the move from one place to another and back was obviously not on as flat a surface as i thought).
i adjusted the legs to level off the platter and things are back to normal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back