A Canadian buying ER-4P's - any surprises?
Jun 20, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #17 of 24
How topical, since I'm listening to them, right now!

Jlo Mein, I actually own two pairs of KSC-35's. One set I bought directly from Koss USA; the other, I bought from Auctionworks. I don't have the URL of the latter. BTW, these are no longer in production, so the only place that should still have them may be Koss.

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #18 of 24
If you live in Canada, definitely try to get your stuff on this side of the border because exchange + customs brokerage fees + taxes will absolutely demolish your wallet. IIRC, I got my ER4S's for about $450 CDN (taxes and shipping included) from CustomProtect (in BC). Anything you get from the states, be prepared to pay DOUBLE the listed number examples:

iPAQ PocketPC 2002 upgrade (only available from US):
$29 USD (list) -> $77 CDN (after xchg + customs + tax)

Turtle-Beach Audiotron (only available from US):
$299 USD -> over $600 CDN!!!!!

I was going to order some fomies from HeadRoom ($15 USD). Imagine my surprise when CustomProtect only charged me $17 CDN which includes taxes and shipping.

If you do end up buying from the states, make sure you get a tracking number, then run (don't walk) to your nearest telephone and call the shipping company to arrange to auto-deduct the processing fees from your credit card. Otherwise, they will have to fork over the money from their own pockets and make you pay them back COD + interest! That's the last thing you need after paying double the original figure.

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 24
I got responses back from the two Canadian distributors. One gave me a URL to a U.S.-based on-line electronics firm; the other gave me a local (Nova Scotia) phone number of a place that does custom ear molds. Both sources were flaky.

I guess nobody in Canada is trying to sell these babies, or could care less about making a sale. Typical of the situation in this country.

If I decide to get the ER-4P's, I'll have to take my chances with Headroom.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 24
I bought mine from Headroom. NO DUTIES! Taxes (of course) and brokerage fees, if your package is selected for "exam".

Try: buy with a Gold Visa card so that the purchase is insured, and have it sent by mail with no insurance and have them then put gift on it. If there is is a loss or damage, Visa will cover it. (check the terms and conditions of your Visa card first)

Jun 21, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 24
I'm getting REALLY frustrated with whole idea. I decided, an hour ago, that i was going to purchase the ER-4P's. It's not working out to get them in Canada, as both of the distributor's on the ER Website really only sell custom moulds and earpieces, and are not trying to accomodate me.

I tried to set up an account at Headroom, but it seems they can not handle Canadians. I sent off an e-mail about this, but no response. I had e-mailed them, before, about something, and never heard a peep.

The Etymotic Research Website will allow Canadian ordering, no problemo, but the cost is $330 USD.

What to do?
mad.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 24
Just phone them directly. They have a I-800 number. I've ordered several items this way and given them my credit card number over the phone. Never any problems.

Jun 21, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 24
I might try that route. The nice thing about on-line ordering is that you get confirmation of what you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back