A burning in Helsinki
May 7, 2006 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
Just ran across these photos from Helsinki:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/primejunta/140957047/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/primeju...7594126365151/

Looks like someone set the old railway warehouses next to the rail station and the Kiasma museum on fire. A real shame -- I remember looking out across them from Mannerheimintie when I was there in 2003. Spectacular pictures, though. That appears to be the tower of the National Museum in the background of the first shot.

Plainsong or other Helsinki headfiers -- what's going on with this now? I'd hope they've gotten the fire put out, but are they any closer to figuring out what happened?

May 7, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Yow, I remember this part of Helsinki from a nice conference there years ago. The news here might not cover it, so I hope this thread gets updated.

May 7, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 7
We were sitting on a terrace with my friends having a nice friday evening when we smelled the smoke. Then we looked to the sky and saw this huge smoke cloud. People started to get phone calls and someone said that "makasiinit" are on fire. We were like 200 metres away from the place so we went there right away to see what's happening. Quite unexpected ending for our evening but man, it was a great looking fire there. Right in the centre of the town. Smoke clouds were visible from like 15 miles away and at some stage the flames were over 10 metres tall.

That Red Sunset picture looks great. It would make a nice DVD-cover for some horror movie.

Oh and police is now sure that it was an arson, not an accident.

May 7, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 7
I realize that at times my ideas are a bit on the left field, sorry. Having said that, if the fire was set (ie arson) I say TORCH the IDIOT(S) who started it.

It is a pity that a piece of history is detroyed just because some imbecile didn't have anything constructive to do.

May 7, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 7
...fire has consumed so much of mankind's history.

Laz

May 7, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
It is a pity that a piece of history is detroyed just because some imbecile didn't have anything constructive to do.

Actually that building was meant to be taken apart on next week. It has been argued for a long time should that building be left as it is or taken apart and build some kind of a music house on its place. Now the problem is solved. To me it's the same, I don't care.
smily_headphones1.gif

This arson is most probably some kind of protest against taking it apart or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back