a bunch of NEW ORDER reissues
Oct 17, 2005 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

bong

Headphoneus Supremus
i wrote this for my blog and website, so i'll mind as well post it here.
biggrin.gif

i'm a NEW ORDER nut; very much like THE CURE, i'll pretty much buy almost anything they release. so when NEW ORDER releases yet another "greatest hits" compilation package, this time simply called SINGLES, i went out and bought it. afraid that it might not be released stateside, i overpaid for an UK import release at Virgin Megastore. why? cos it's NEW ORDER!

so onto SINGLES, why another compilation? they already have SUBSTANCE 1987, which is an ultimate essential but is getting very dated. 1994/5 saw the release of (the best of) NEW ORDER, with confusing and different UK and US tracklistings, the former featuring a few 7" versions not available on the latter, and the latter featuring album tracks instead of singles, and an exclusive song called "Let's Go (Nothing for Me)," which originated as an instrumental. what does that mean to a NEW ORDER nut like me? i went ahead and spent good money on both versions just to have all the different versions of songs that aren't available anywhere else. then 2001 saw the release of yet another greatest hits package, INTERNATIONAL, possibly the least worthy NEW ORDER compilation simply because one cannot fit all their essential songs on one disc. the RETRO box set was released in 2002, and the first disc once again served as a "greatest hits" representation; this time featuring only half of what NEW ORDER fans ask for, most notably the original 12" versions of "Temptation" and "Confusion" (which beats the horrible 1987 version that appears on SUBSTANCE to a bloody pulp), but also fails because of many missed opportunities (missing the original 7" version of many earlier singles and full 12" versions of late 80's singles like "The Perfect Kiss" and "Shellshock"). having been frustrated with their official compilations, i went ahead and made my own two disc set a year ago, and played it to death.

so after so many different compilations, i'm mostly satisfied with SINGLES, it's two full discs chock full of NEW ORDER goodness. first off, it's in chronological order, which makes it easy for novices to follow their musical progression. secondly, nearly every single is featured here, except for 1984's "Murder." granted, it's not really a song but a rhythmic exercise with samples from Caligula and 2001: Space Odyssey, but it was a single and the band seems happy enough to shun it these days.

that said, nearly all the songs here are representated in their proper 7", single edits, or radio edits. what makes me (and probably every other NEW ORDER nut out there) happy is finally the inclusion of the original 7" version of their Joy Division penned single debut, "Ceremony," the first time it's widely available on CD. this version is raw and fascinating... very much different than the 12" version that appears everywhere else. other 7" versions appearing on CD for the first time are "Everything's Gone Green," "Temptation," which i believe is a totally different take, not an edit of the 9 minute long 12" version, "Confusion," "Thieves Like Us," "Sub-Culture," where the shorter 7" version decreases the cringe factor of this horrid mix, "Shellshock," which was previously available only on the UK version of (the best of), and "State of the Nation," the most wonderful thing is that all these essentials are only the first disc, there's a whole second disc of wonderful NEW ORDER music to explore.

spanning over the course of four albums, disc 2 features a NEW ORDER less insistant on releasing "singles only" songs, where only three appears here ("Blue Monday '88," "World in Motion," and "Here to Stay"). instead, they release singles off albums... however, disc 2 is still of very consistant quality with many essentials like "Fine Time," "Regret," "Crystal," and this year's "Krafty." the only complaints i can come up with is that the mislabeled "Run 2" is still just the album version of "Run," and "Brutal" is missing, but really wasn't a single to begin with.

so what's my concensus? SINGLES is the ultimate NEW ORDER stater kit... they've finally make good on a compilation.

another recent release is the ITEM DVD set, containing "A Collection" of NEW ORDER promo videos, and a reissue of 1993's excellent documentary "NewOrderStory." i always find NEW ORDER's videos hit-and-miss, ranging from breathtaking visuals, artistic expression, to downright zanyness. it's all very fascinating though...

Oct 17, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 30
Isn't "Run2" the same version as on the "Best of New Order" album? I don't know why it was called that since it's different than both the Run on Technique and Run2 on the limited deleted 12" Vinyl. It should have been called "Run3" or "Run'94" or something lol.

BTW the best thing on "Item" is the vid of NO on BAYWATCH playing Regret - it cracks me up how Morris is in a bowling shirt, Barney is trying to act cool in shades, Hooky is pretending to be a heavy metal god, and poor Gillian refuses to play along, dressed demurely in black and standing stock still behind a keyboard while the beach bunnies frolick.

Edit- Temptation '98 used to be my fave version. But now it's the original 7" remastered on Singles. Epic and otherworldly but you still want to shake your arse off.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 30
hmm... i'm almost positive "Run2" on (the best of) as well as SINGLES is mislabeled, to me it sounds like the same version that appears on TECHNIQUE. maybe remixed differently? but i can't tell... even the running times match. i always thought "Run2" officially referred to the deleted 12" single, which to this day still has not appeared on a general CD release.

my fave version of "Temptation" still remains the 12" that appears on 1981-1982 EP. i recorded the 7" version on cassette from the now defunct WDRE radio station eons ago, and now i can finally retire that old cassette now that it's on this SINGLES comp... so happy! i think the 1987 version of "Temptation" that appears on SUBSTANCE is too polished, and that late 80's "big drum" sound kinda sounds dated. i like the honest, rawness of both 1982 versions, the rough acoustic and electric guitar strumming, the distorted drums, and the overall synth... the 1998 version is good though, it's like a full on blast through the song.

as for the best footage on Item, i'm going to have to counter your "Regret" Baywatch version for the "Blue Monday Sunkist Commercial," LOL... "How does it feel, when a new day has begun, when you're drinking in the sunshine, Sunkist is the one!" just hearing Barney sing that line just cracks me up!
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 30
Sunkist is the One indeed! Yeah that's just as cringe-worthy!
Run2 is a mystery eh? Ah well either way it's not too bad, it holds up over time alot better than the 12". I own that bad boy, and it's tres cheesy!
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Sunkist is the One indeed! Yeah that's just as cringe-worthy!
Run2 is a mystery eh? Ah well either way it's not too bad, it holds up over time alot better than the 12". I own that bad boy, and it's tres cheesy!
icon10.gif

what... you don't like those overdubbed pitter patter electronic bongo drums on "Run2?"
tongue.gif
but still, i would love to have it released on a proper CD some day, along with the full 12" versions of "The Perfect Kiss" and "Shellshock."

but speaking cringe-worthy, for me it's still the remix of "Sub-Culture," oh... it's horrid and i have to skip over it everytime i listened to SUBSTANCE. absolutely the worst thing NEW ORDER committed on tape. i like the version on LOW-LIFE a lot though, go fig.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 30
Hey Bong, how's the sound quality of Singles? For some reason all their releases have been less than stellar on CD, though their vinyl sounds pretty good.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
what... you don't like those overdubbed pitter patter electronic bongo drums on "Run2?"
tongue.gif
but still, i would love to have it released on a proper CD some day, along with the full 12" versions of "A Perfect Kiss" and "Shellshock."

but speaking cringe-worthy, for me it's still the remix of "Sub-Culture," oh... it's horrid and i have to skip over it everytime i listened to SUBSTANCE. absolutely the worst thing NEW ORDER committed on tape. i like the version on LOW-LIFE a lot though, go fig.
rolleyes.gif

dude no way the worst EVER is "DUB-Vulture," you know it! When the whole mess descends into a resampling mess of SKREEAW!

Anyhow, the full version of The Perfect Kiss is on the Bonus Disc of the Retro Box Set- it's really cool, because it starts with Jonathan Demme giving instructions to the band, saying "action!" and ends with "cut, that was amazing!" or something like that. Is that long form video version the same as on the 12"? I think so. i think the long form of shellshock really needs representation too - why include it on retro if you're just going to fade it out, right? i love the original 12" where barney and hooky trade riffs in the middle.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Hey Bong, how's the sound quality of Singles? For some reason all their releases have been less than stellar on CD, though their vinyl sounds pretty good.

quality is a LITTLE hot so it plays loud - but it's a nice clean remaster and doesn't try to smooth out any of the early tape hissing and such.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 30
i browsed through the two discs without really listening to it, but right now i'm just too enthralled with all the 7" versions on disc 1, so i'm not really pinpointing sound quality. but i'll definitely be comparing it to my other NO discs and i'll report back.

to this day, i still think many tracks on SUBSTANCE 1987 sound better than (the best of) or RETRO.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 30
Here it is the way iTunes named it when I popped in the CD-

The Perfect Kiss (Live Take Recorded At Video Shoot)9:5622.9 MB320 kbpsNew OrderNew Order Live8 of 9

As you can see, it's a whopping 9 minutes 56 seconds. OH YEAH!

"OK Very relaxed..Ready? ACTION!"

ending with

"YEAH! That was GREAT! *clapping* *something* and then we'll cut..That was AMAZING!" *insert another munite of praise from the director until the sound guy reminds him he has to say Cut so he can turn the tape off, hehe.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski

Thinking of Substance 1987, it does seem to have kind of a strange tonal balance, and (if I recall correctly) a fair amount of hiss.

P.S. I'm a fan myself, but prefer OMD, Simple Minds and Depeche Mode (among others).

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thinking of Substance 1987, it does seem to have kind of a strange tonal balance, and (if I recall correctly) a fair amount of hiss.

P.S. I'm a fan myself, but prefer OMD, Simple Minds and Depeche Mode.

Yeah substance sounds cottony and muted compared to the remastered Singles 2CD set.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

dude no way the worst EVER is "DUB-Vulture," you know it! When the whole mess descends into a resampling mess of SKREEAW!

Anyhow, the full version of The Perfect Kiss is on the Bonus Disc of the Retro Box Set- it's really cool, because it starts with Jonathan Demme giving instructions to the band, saying "action!" and ends with "cut, that was amazing!" or something like that. Is that long form video version the same as on the 12"? I think so. i think the long form of shellshock really needs representation too - why include it on retro if you're just going to fade it out, right? i love the original 12" where barney and hooky trade riffs in the middle.

aargh, never heard "DUB-Vulture," but it sounds like i'm not missing much, LOL.
eek.gif
i would also love to hear the full length "Shellshock" since i've never heard it before...

as for "The Perfect Kiss," the one on RETRO's bonus disc is indeed the same as the full length Johnathan Demme video. but the full length 12" version i'm talking about appears on my SUBSTANCE 1987 cassette, which runs 8:45 i believe, if memory serves me right. the CD version runs 8:02... what's cut off is where the keyboards go all crazy near the end of the song, listen to the end of "Kiss of Death" and compare it to "The Perfect Kiss" and you'll know what i mean.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Yeah substance sounds cottony and muted compared to the remastered Singles 2CD set.

really? i always thought "Ceremony" on Substance sounds better than on Retro, where it's all clipped and oversaturated. also, to me "Thieves Like Us" on Substance sounds better than the UK (the best of)... sounds narrow and constrained there.

also, "Temptation" on 1981-1982 EP definitely sounds better to me than on Retro as well.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
i browsed through the two discs without really listening to it, but right now i'm just too enthralled with all the 7" versions on disc 1, so i'm not really pinpointing sound quality. but i'll definitely be comparing it to my other NO discs and i'll report back.

to this day, i still think many tracks on SUBSTANCE 1987 sound better than (the best of) or RETRO.

and yes substance still sounds better than retro. retro is a mess, i dont think they even remastered it. sadly, the bonus disc, which has serious rarities like the full length 15 minute Elegia, is just as bad sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back