A Bummer :: Higher End Cans = Higher End IEM's
Oct 8, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by track_cheetah
I understand we're all trying to find the best sound possible. That's why we're here right? It should just be a given.

However, I do not understand people spending $1000 on IEMs.

You've been here almost a whole year and you still don't understand head-fiers?

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #17 of 36
track cheetah, your point is taken, but the whole reason that I come here day after day, is to learn from others, through there trials and mishaps, what it takes to achieve sonic supremacy. If I can aquire that standard, and have the funds to support it, then by all means, I'll persue it.

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
According to most owners of the UE's, it's worth it.

biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

I understand we're all trying to find the best sound possible. That's why we're here right? It should just be a given.

However, I do not understand people spending $1000 on IEMs. Sure if given some UE's I'd jump at the chance to indulge myself. I can most certainly say they would not be removed for the first eight hours unless bodily harm ensued. But unless you're planning on belting the national anthem to fifty thousand baseball fans any time soon, I don't see a need to purchase such expensive IEMs.

Sarcasm aside, what ARE you using your IEMs for most? Portable use? Studio recording? 20+db isolation from the she-witch that is wife? I guess my point is, I use my e2c's for everything; portable, studio, and home. And for my purposes, I have not yet needed better sound quality. Besides I'm usually doing something else like walking/working with the e2c's and I don't really notice the sound quality drop between my hd580s and IEMs. Do others agree?

my $.02

Nearly every environment I find myself in is less them optimal for open cans. Add to that the general discomfort I encounter from the pressure regular headphones put on the top of my head and IEM's are really the only way to go. That said, the UE-10 Pro is incredible!
biggrin.gif
Great musicality, tons of detail, and I can take them anywhere.

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #20 of 36
I found that the best way to learn about new headphones is to try them.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have gone though more headphones then its worth even talking about and regret selling some of them off to try another pair. If you really like what you have don't ever sell them to buy try another pair. Buy the other pair along side and decide then. As far as IEM's go there are way too many out there and all of them excel in one area and have flaws in another. So I see IEM's just like headphones if you really want to have the best you are going to need to have a few pairs.

-Alex-

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Nearly every environment I find myself in is less them optimal for open cans. Add to that the general discomfort I encounter from the pressure regular headphones put on the top of my head and IEM's are really the only way to go. That said, the UE-10 Pro is incredible!
biggrin.gif
Great musicality, tons of detail, and I can take them anywhere.

Seconded!
Just having my UE10s for about two days and missing an optimal fit it's probably too early to comment on these phones, BUT even with these restrictions they're already way better than the Etys.
They make your studio recorded music somehow to a live experience, imagine your favorite band inviting you to their studio and giving you a seat in front of them while they're recording their record. It's g-r-e-a-t.
Given the isolation of the IEMs they're the only way to go for me, because during the semester I'm outside (i.e. at the university) most of the day.

Each to his one - for me they're the best solution to have some quality HiFi sound when I'm not at home (well, I even listen to them at home
biggrin.gif
).

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #22 of 36
Whilst I do not expect the SQ of my ER4's to equal my Stax , I certainly enjoy them equally.
biggrin.gif

After spending sometime tweaking the ER4's sonic signature to suit my tastes
with the use if various filters they now possess a big airy sound [relatively speaking]
that does not peak in the lower trebles as they used to.
Isolating bliss.
biggrin.gif

The Stax [404] are great but need an absolutely quiet environment to sound their best.
Besides One would look quite a loon walking around using them as portable phones....

tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

However, I do not understand people spending $1000 on IEMs.

Aye. Not many people here realize how many condoms $1000 can buy. Even fewer realize how much more utility you would get out of that many condoms.

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 36
*Imagines walking around outside in my SR-404's*

*Now imagines walking around in the SR-404's while it's raining*

Ouch!

I do believe that IEM's can come close to full-size headphones in quality, but at a greater price. The UM2's, which cost $300, can effectively compete against $150 headphones (they're a good deal better than the DT770's, for instance), but cannot really compete against $200 and above headphones (A900's are significantly better). The E4, at $170, can hold it's own against $100 headphones (HD280, A500), but not against $150 and above headphones (IMO). You either have to live with the trade-off between practicality and quality, or you have to spend more to get the same quality while on the move. Custom-molded IEM's will compete with the higher-end cans, though they might not necessarily best them. Whether or not they're worth the money depends solely on how important portable listening is to you, and how much you're willing to spend to improve it's quality. Personally, I'm willing to spend quite a bit, since I listen mostly on the move, hence the ES2 that will be here in a few weeks.

Oct 8, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
The E4, at $170, can hold it's own against $100 headphones (HD280, A500), but not against $150 and above headphones (IMO).

I'd beg to differ, the E4 is a good deal better than the 280 or any other $100 can I've tried. For that matter, I generally prefer them to the HD555 even in a quiet environment.

Oct 8, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Whether or not they're worth the money depends solely on how important portable listening is to you, and how much you're willing to spend to improve it's quality. Personally, I'm willing to spend quite a bit, since I listen mostly on the move, hence the ES2 that will be here in a few weeks.

Yep, that's why cheesoz should think about why he wants the UE10 besides the upgraditis virus. IMHO those UE10 only make sense if you plan on using them on the move - for this amount of money you can get a very decent can which might be not portable though. Nevertheless I use them at home, too, but I wouldn't have bought them if my primary intention was home listening.

Oct 8, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #28 of 36
All the IEM's I've heard (non custom) including the entire Shure line, Ety line, and UM2's, Superfi 5 have disappointed me greatly in one way or another considering their cost. I just expected better in one way or another. Just getting the frequency response right is a difficult job for most of these IEM's.

Now, fortunately portable listening is not a priority for me otherwise I would be tempted to spring for UE10's. If I did more than 100 hours of flying a year, or took the bus to work, I would have. I'd be better off upgrading my car stereo since I spend so much time listening to music commuting to work. At work I can use full sized headphones if I need to.

My Poiint? Everybody's priorities are different, and only you can decide if the jump to a super high end IEM is worth it.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I'd beg to differ, the E4 is a good deal better than the 280 or any other $100 can I've tried. For that matter, I generally prefer them to the HD555 even in a quiet environment.

That will depend on your individual HRTF's. For me, no matter what kind of seal I get, the E4 is bright, thin, and strident. The HD280 is better at many things, though I don't know if it's better overall.

Custom IEM's go a long way towards insuring that you get at least a good seal, if not a perfect one.

Oct 9, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Just getting the frequency response right is a difficult job for most of these IEM's.

Whilst my own iem experience is limited compared to many here, based on
owning the ER4, E4 and a brief audition of the E5 I would tend to agree
on the above snippet of warpdrivers post.
It would seem unless ones ears are a close match to the manufactures model
or sonic preferences then some degree of tweaking is required to get the best
from these types of phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back