A brand new high-end pair...
Dec 9, 2009 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

acvtre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody, my actual "highend" rig is: cowon D2, ibasso p3+ and akg k240 mkII.
Now I want to upgrade everything. The source will be a used cd player of about 100€, still don't know which amongst the thousands.
The amp that I'm going to buy is a CTH, so a hybrid amp, it should rock!!!
Now the question, what headphones do you suggest?
I need a really really comfortable pair, because I use 'em during the study, this means an open design and good for sessions of hours, because I study a lot.
Second: I wanna relax and maintain concentration, so something warm I think.
Third: I like the sound of the soundmagic PL50, this means a balanced sound crisp and clear, I hate bloated bass. The bass has to be well defined and deep but not exagerated, I'm not basshead.
Last: I think is better if the headphones are amp sensible.

I was thinking about sennheiser hd650.

What do you suggest?

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 12
Good choice, don't know the amp you're thinking about but the headphone suits your wishes.
Has given me great pleasure for a good while in combination with a Graham Slee Solo, I think there is one in the ForSale section at a good price.

If you study near your PC, it's worth thinking about a dedicated DAC and skip the whole CD-transport thing. Often more cost efficient.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 12
I can't really have a serious study when listening to music.
although I am not a big fan of the HD650, i agree that it might be what you are looking for. they are extremely comfortable imo, if you love that little bit tight feeling. they stay on your head without moving at all. certainly the most comfortable headphone i ever owned, even more than the D5000.

the bass wasn't enough for me (well i am a basshead...what can you do), but you may find it enough... like most people do. it can go really deep when the music calls for it.

the computer rig is a good idea also...you can use your computer as a transport and save yourself some bucks. you will get a dac niether way.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 12
No, I haven't got a pc in my bedroom, so I have to build a classic stero rig with cd player etc etc.
But actually I would really like to have a digital archive instead of tons of cds, something like an hdd with display. Do you know someting like this?

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I haven't got a pc in my bedroom, so I have to build a classic stero rig with cd player etc etc.
But actually I would really like to have a digital archive instead of tons of cds, something like an hdd with display. Do you know someting like this?

it's or a computer or a squeezbox or something similar. I am also using a cd player as a digital transport because the sound coming out of my computer is really too bright and sibilance, but i do agree that when getting used to switching tracks on the computer you don't want to go back switching cds.
but the sound is the most important thing here...

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Nothing beats a PC. Get yourself a netbook or a second-hand laptop. Otherwise, you can try a gorgeous Olive 4HD, or a hifidelio system, both of considerably higher cost than the 130 euro I paid for this second hand toshiba netbook I'm typing on right now...

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Ok thanks so much but we are OT......my bad
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 12
I actually don't think that the HD650 sounds like a good match for you, based on the fact that you don't like bloated bass and you seem to like the SoundMagic, which FWIR is not a bass-heavy 'phone. Bloated bass is one of the first things I think of in the 650s - they have a serious mid-bass hump that (IMO) overshadows a lot of the rest of the frequency spectrum. Even the 650 lovers around these parts will have to acknowledge a midbass hump; to me (given that I favor a slightly brighter and more detailed sound) this comes off as bloated.

The HD600 might be a better bet (IMO it's much better balanced); if you're really serious about crisp and clear, the K701 is the way to go, although it may not sound quite as warm/smooth as the others.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Grados go really well with the CTH as much as i hate grados they sound as best as they can on a CTH.

But, I never give up a chance to recruit more into the ortho fold. I would give the Yamaha HP-1 and or the Yamaha YH-100 (both are on sale on the FS forums) a serious look. They are a bit on the darker side but the HP-1 can atleast be modded easily enough to sound more balanced. I transitioned over to orthos from being a hardcore senn HD580 user( which is the one i would recommend instead of the HD650 especially if you don't like bloated bass if u want to stick to dynamic headphones) and haven't looked at another dynamic headphone since.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados go really well with the CTH as much as i hate grados they sound as best as they can on a CTH.

But, I never give up a chance to recruit more into the ortho fold. I would give the Yamaha HP-1 and or the Yamaha YH-100 (both are on sale on the FS forums) a serious look. They are a bit on the darker side but the HP-1 can atleast be modded easily enough to sound more balanced. I transitioned over to orthos from being a hardcore senn HD580 user( which is the one i would recommend instead of the HD650 especially if you don't like bloated bass if u want to stick to dynamic headphones) and haven't looked at another dynamic headphone since.

I've just wrote you a pm LOL.
However, now I have a pair of akg k240 MKII. What do you think about CTH plus hd580 (or higher)? Can you do a mini review? Please
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just wrote you a pm LOL.
However, now I have a pair of akg k240 MKII. What do you think about CTH plus hd580 (or higher)? Can you do a mini review? Please
biggrin.gif

Never heard one to be honest. Only other headphones i listened to on the CTh other than orthos has been a Grado HF-2 and the JH-13pro IEMs.

I don't own any dynamic headphones anymore. I sold both my HD580s after i found my perfect sound signature with orthos. I am sure there are others who have used the CTH with a senn...post on the CTH thread over on the DIY forums for a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back