A blast from the past
Nov 17, 2008 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rjp

100+ Head-Fier
Recently, I decided to plug the ancient Koss Pro-4AAA cans into my E-MU 0404 USB to give them a spin. Wow, had I ever underrated these cans! When they were plugged directly into the Technics SL-P500, they seemed a bit thin and lacking in bass - but when driven by the 0404, the bass came back with a vengeance.

They seem rather Grado-ish, but with a bigger soundstage and the isolation that only closed cans can provide. While my SR60s provide great bass, the old Kosses have more. The midrange punch and detailed treble are right there as well.

On the negative side, they're heavy and they have vise-grip-like clamping force, and the aged pads are just about rock-hard. For all the talk about Grados being uncomfortable, these put all that talk into perspective. It would be well worth getting replacement pads, though - the big comfort problem is with the hardness of the old pads.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 5
What's best is you see these on e-bay all the time. Well, the 4??. There are several new variations, and I'm not sure if all the old ones are exactly the same. But I think, FWIR, they sound fairly similar. And with the great Koss warranty, you shouldn't worry too much about them going bad.
Hey rjp, where at in SW Ch? You don't have to be specific, I won't come knocking on your door...

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Back in the early 1970's, the Koss Pro 4AA and then later in the 70's, the Koss Pro 4AAA, were one of the headphones of "choice" in recording studios for the performers to use when recording. The 4AAA was an improvement in sound compared to the 4AA. But, before the 4AAA existed, the 4AA was considered to be an excellent sounding headphone. By todays standards, the 4AA would not be considered to be one of the better sounding headphones, but back then, the standards were different because the technology was not as advanced as it is today and there were far fewer headphones to be used as a comparison.
Much of audio history has been similar. When the phonograph was first marketed to the general public, according to history and older people I've spoken with, people would listen in amazement as the music from the record would play acoustically from the phonograph (the spring inside the "Victrola" or "Gramaphone" was wound-up by way of a crank in order to make the turntable spin. They were not powered electrically.). And, the sound from these was often described as being very "life like" during those early times. But, like the evolution of the headphone, the sound of these early phonographs was inferior to the sound of today's phonographs and CD players.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 5
My first set of these was around 1978 in high school, and I loved them back then better than my speakers (Cerwin Vega). I have no idea what ever happened to them 30 years ago.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy
Hey rjp, where at in SW Ch? You don't have to be specific, I won't come knocking on your door...

I PM'ed you with the answer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in the early 1970's, the Koss Pro 4AA and then later in the 70's, the Koss Pro 4AAA, were one of the headphones of "choice" in recording studios for the performers to use when recording. The 4AAA was an improvement in sound compared to the 4AA. But, before the 4AAA existed, the 4AA was considered to be an excellent sounding headphone. By todays standards, the 4AA would not be considered to be one of the better sounding headphones, but back then, the standards were different because the technology was not as advanced as it is today and there were far fewer headphones to be used as a comparison.

I grew up with a 4AA that my dad didn't need anymore when he went to the 4AAA. The only issue I had with the 4AA was that it was even more of a vise grip than the 4AAA.
eek.gif
I might still have the 4AA, buried in the attic.

I'd say the 4AAA would hold its own against today's crop of cans, though - as long as you have a decent amp to drive it (it's a high-Z pair at 250 ohms). What surprises me is that the new 4AAAT, based on reviews here, doesn't stack up well against its older ancestor. Meanwhile, the original 4AA is back in production... go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back