a bit concerned about hearing damage...
Jun 2, 2004 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sporky

Head-Fier
I was listening to my headphones (closed A900s) for a very extended period of time a couple days ago (like, several hours while at the computer). The volume wasn't that much different that what I usually listen to, but when I retired for that night I noticed that my hearing was sort of muffled.

In the past few days its gotten a little better, but it still feels a tad strange. I guess I'd say its like having a slight a cold or something. Does it sound like I should get my ears cleaned? I tried using an over the counter ear-drop today, but it didn't make much of a difference. Has anyone else here had a similar experience?

thanks

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Yes it's the price you pay for using headphones too much... usually if you go a few days without using them it'll go back.

That's kind of what I'm doing right now. Its going to be pretty tough once my new soundcard gets here tomorrow, though.
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Jun 2, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64166

hold off on any listening for a few days.

my hearing did eventually return to normal.

Thanks. It actually has gotten a lot better since yesterday. I'll definately use headphones in moderation from now on.

How often should I take breaks while listening to be safe? Every hour? Two hours?

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 7
it would be better to listen to moderate level for 3 hours straight than to listen to super loud for 30minutes, you can damage the hearing more in that 30minutes. just try your best to keep the volume at a safe level.

this is what i like about most about high impedance headphones, i can turn the volume knob on my amp further.

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 7
I don't believe the danger is in listening too long but in listening too loud. I have some hearing loss and mild tinnitus and was a little reluctant to get in-the-canal phones. An audiologist and my otolaryngologist each advised that it was decibels that jeopardizes hearing.

On the strength of that, I bought a pair of E-4Ps and have been using them nearly every day for about a year without exacerbating either the hearing loss or the tinnitus (I get a hearing test regularly). In fact, the Etys may be better than most headphones because the isolation they provide allows you to listen at much lower volume - in my case about 2/3rds the levels I used to listen at.

A visit to an ENT person and/or audiologist might be prudent if you've had some trouble. Professional advice might help stave off more serious touble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back