A Better EQ With The 2.2 iPod Firmware?
May 2, 2004 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Slimm

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure what they did, but before with my iPod/E5 combo, I'd hit the treble booster to try to even out the sound a little. Wasn't a spectacular improvement, but better than nothing.

Well, while being on here today, I listened to this for the first time since the update, and there it is, the missing HIGH END on the E5's. At first I didn't have the EQ on with them and was satisfied, but then I remembered it wasn't engaged, and BOOM!

I know people have been commenting on the lack of distortion with the EQ since the update, but it's sooooo much clearer now. I can hear those nuances that I couldn't hear before. It's not quite the Ety level of highs, but to me it's a dramatic improvement with thse phones.

I though it might be my "getting acclamated to the E5 sound" phase, but I compared it to my Mini, which I haven't updated yet, and the difference was evident to me.

Any one else notice this about the EQ?

May 2, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes, there is a definite improvement. I usually use the Bass Booster setting and it does seem to be giving more Bass than before through my SR 60's. Still not massive but more than before, I can "feel" it kicking in if you know what I mean.

Prior to this latest update I'd been WaveGain'ing my WAV files prior to encoding with Itunes (just to cut down on the possible distortion). Now though I've been trying out AAC without WaveGain, I want to use AL but it's pointless if I still have to use WaveGain, so far I'm quite impressed.

I also think that iTunes is now encoding at a lower volume than before, but that might be my imagination.
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Interesting. Like an idiot (or should I say moron, vorlik) I updated both of my iPods to the latest firmware. Does anyone know how to get back to previous? Would be good to compare.

May 2, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 8
It did cross my mind that they maybe lowered the output volume of the encoder to reduce the reported distortion with the EQ's.

Quote:

Does anyone know how to get back to previous?

I have no idea, couldn't you just load the previous update ?? would that mean loading the older version of iTunes as well ??
Never done it myself
confused.gif

May 2, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I turn the volume up to what I'm accustomed to and hear no distortion. But that's me.

Bangraman, don't you still have the 2.1 updater on your computer?

May 2, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I turn the volume up to what I'm accustomed to and hear no distortion. But that's me.

Yeah, but isn't the encoded volume of the file and the volume you use on the ipod two different things.
Otherwise stuff like replaygain and wavegain to reduce clipping and distortion on encoded files wouldn't be required at all.

May 2, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by divad6719
Yeah, but isn't the encoded volume of the file and the volume you use on the ipod two different things.
Otherwise stuff like replaygain and wavegain to reduce clipping and distortion on encoded files wouldn't be required at all.

Yeah, divad is right: the iPod's EQ can clip the music by boosting the level of the file at certain frequencies past 0dB. If you lower the gain of the files so that even a +20dB increase doesn't push it pass 0dB, you can turn up the volume all you want and you will never get distortion. Well, until you run the headphone amp out of steam, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Argh, I should've checked out the 2.2 EQ before sending my iPod back for repair. This will be my fourth replacement iPod, damn it ....
mad.gif
I'd love it if the EQ were improved, mainly because it can be so useful when used with a crappy FM transmitter feeding even worse car stereos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back