A Beginner's Roadmap: From MDR-7506 to HD580
Jun 5, 2003 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nqstv

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Believe it or not, I've been reading posts, searching the forum, and learning, learning, learning for about a year now. I figured it was about time to share my experience, cause I feel like I fall into the ranks of "The Average Joe" on a mission for good quality sound then I do into the ranks of audiophile.

First let me start by saying that, just like all of you, I love music and more then anything, I just want to listen to the music I like with the best possible sound. Of course, there are many factors within the statement "Best Possible", but I think now, I've got a setup that will keep me happy for a long time.

I'm a hobbyist singer/songwriter, so the whole trip down Headphone Blvd started with the MDR-7506. I picked these up when I bought my first keyboard about 6 years ago. I'd had years of listening to stock headphones experience prior to that, so needless to say, it was a pretty big step up.

I loved the way they sounded in my budding home studio. The only problem I had was an over extension in the bass which did effect my mixes. But overall, these phones were good and accomplished what I needed. I started using them on my home stereo, which was by no means audiophile, but I started to really like the fact that these phones sounded so good.

The curse began here. I realized that I needed to find a way to get this good sound on the go. 50% of my listening was always portable, 30% in the car and 20% in the home.

My first step was to go with new ear-buds paired with a mini-disk player. These were the E888s. I liked them because they were portable. I also fell into the Sony trap and figured, they cost a lot so they must be good. They sounded better then anything I had heard portably before so they became the standard phone for years. Looming over me were the 7506's though. If I could just get that sound portably. With maybe a little less bass.

Well, about a year and a half ago, there I was sitting at my desk at work listening to the E888's thinking that it doesn't get better, when lo and behold, KWKarth walks by and asks "What are you listening with?". Proudly I show him. Little did I know. He says, "Here, look at these", and he hands me a pair of Etys. Never heard of em.

He wrote down a URL "www.head-fi.org" and says, "go read this site". okay, it's a year and a half later and here's the list:

First - Ety-ER6 w/TAH and Mini-Disk - Didn't want to spend so much first time out. Wow, these were good. Headroom rocks. Where the hell have I been all this time. So clear. Very detailed. It doesn't get better then this.

1 year later - Ety-ER4S's w/TAH - OH MY GOD!!! Why didn't I listen to all the folks on Head-fi? They really know what they were talking about. Decided to get a Nomad JB3 so that I could listen to anything at anytime. I have now heard parts of songs that I didn't know exisated. And with the experience in the studio, I smile when I hear the guys in the booth on some of the recordings. Only problem, Having to take them in and out all the time at work.

5 months later - have bought HD497, AKG240S, Porta-pros, SR-60, and PX200. All in an attempt to identify the manufacturer signature that I wanted with convenience. Oh, and I upgraded the Amp to a Maxed out porta META42 from JMT. I'll do comparisons from a layman's point of view if anyone is interested.

There have been compromises made in the setup, but it is now complete. The final look;

Primary Source - Nomad Jukebox 3
Amp - JMT Portable Max META42
For Travel and Bed - ETY ER4S
For Work - PX200
For Studio - 7506

and the newest member recently received 3 hours ago - Senn HD580. Used for home and work when I can get away with open cans.

Based on what I've heard of these HD580s so far. For anyone on the fringe of thinking that these phones won't work on a HDP w/amp or an Audigy 2 Platinum ex, don't hesitate to get them.

I apologize for this being so long, but I couldn't help but share in my joy of now having what I've been looking for for years, the best possible sound for my needs.

You know, I don't even know what happened to those 888s.

Nqstv

smily_headphones1.gif
Happy Listening!!

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 9
you lurked for a year? damn. welcome to head-fi, it's all downhill from here.

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 9
That's quite an exceptional setup you got there. You obviously did learn a lot.

Oh yeah, and don't hope to ever get your life back, because it's not happening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 9
one day musiclover... one day. i will be free.

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Nqstv

thanks for the nice read. and you can bet all your cans this will be a long road further ahead. have fun!!!

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks USC Goose and Musiclover.

I realize it's no where near what some of the other folks have around here, but for a layman, it's quite nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I can say that I'm a testimant to AIM9X's "Use the Search Button" ranting.

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 9
KCITS,

I'll tell you what, if someone has the means, the best approach is to start with the lowest level phones in a manufacturer's line and find the right signature that they're looking for.

It was the ER6's that led me to the 4S's and the PX200's that led me to the 580's.

Jun 5, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 9
ya it's nice if you have the opportunity to try a lot of different 'phones so you could eventually find the characteristics that best suit you -- although it can get a little problematic if you look for different signature sounds for different genres of music
wink.gif

some lower-end phones though, sound nothing like the same brand's high-end phones (eg: sennheiser 212pro vs hd580 -- no similarity whatsoever
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back