A Battery That Destroy's Your Computer Beware!
Sep 17, 2016 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
I know that this isn't a computer forum, but we all use computers, so its still interesting. I grew up on old MAC computer's from the 90's, I have a appreciation for them. I learned how to work on them, both hardware and software. However, nobody ever told me that I should beware of Maxel batteries when they get old, look at the pictures to see how this one single battery managed to destroy the only MAC computer I had left, makes me wanna cry lol. For those wondering, its a MAC IICI, a very popular computer from the early 90's.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Those batteries must be replace every 5 years? But I wouldn't wait that long, maybe 3 years. Replace them with Lithium type, they don't leak. Laptops have the flat round batteries which does not leak.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I know it really breaks my heart cause I really loved this MAC, I used these older machines as a kid, I have lots of memories. Granted I knew the machine was very old, but the point is the machine would have been perfectly fine I think if the battery didn't leak, it did so much damage! If I wanted to get this thing going again, the very least I would have to do is replace the motherboard. But motherboards don't come with memory, so I'd have to aquire that too.

The flat type of batteries on motherboards weren't utilized until later for MAC's, this machine was just a little too early for that. Maybe someday I will get to have my nastalga fix, just not today. :frowning2:

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
  Just a suggestion, look for a motherboard in fleabay. There are shops there that only sell Mac parts. You can PM them for a motherboard and RAM.

Ya, I had been looking for new parts for the computer yesterday but only found expansion cards, no replacement motherboards. I did however find some older power mac computers, but people want a lot to ship them. We live in an age now where if you want to ship something heavy, you gotta pay high premium costs just for ground shipping, its rediculous. I am sure most countries don't try to price gouge you in shipping but this is the USA, we are fueled on money, so thats how you pay sometimes 5,000 dollars for one bottle of medication over here, where the same bottle would only cost you like 5 dollars in another country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back