A basic setup?
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

igraye

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

New to this forum, and the world of headphones, speakers, amplifiers and all those other source components that I have no idea how they work. I've noticed that my speakers (a basic Logitech 2.1 set, not sure which model) sound scratchy when the volume is turned up fairly high, the dial is turned 3/4 of the way, but the volume on my laptop is at around 10 (out of 100). The laptop is an ASUS N61 - a built in sound card I'm assuming. As well, at certain parts of some songs, the sound becomes ear-cringing and unbearable, I literally wince. One of the songs is a Korean ballad (if it helps), sung by a female vocalist.

This happens at parts where the pitch becomes high - not just for the song mentioned. I'm not sure if this problem can be dealt with by use of an amp, or simply it is because of poor quality components/recordings. I'm on the verge of purchasing a set of headphones, so if an amp is the solution, it'd would be best if I could use it to drive the hp's as well.

Thanks in advance for all the help! :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Your problems sounds like clipping which causes distortion.  An amp like the basic amp in your PC / soundcard will start to clip the top portion of an analog signal once it reaches saturation.  This almost always occurs at by having the input source to the amp low and the output volume on the amp high.  The amp can only do so much before it is going to try to increase the volume, but in turn really can't.

The other possible source of the distortion your are hearing, which is the proper term for the phenomenon you are hearing, could be the speaker cone deforming due to high volumes and poor construction.  Poorly designed speakers will have distortion because the driver is flexing in a way that does not produce a nice clean signal.

One test you could do is use a set of ear buds or headphones that you may already have and do a listening test.  Does the distortion occur at approximately the same volume levels?  If so then the amp is most likely the issue.  If not then the speakers are the limit.

Make sure there is no EQ set on your PC as well as maximize all of the volume controls.  Now make sure the volume settings for the soundcard are also all of the way up.  From that point on only use the volume knob on the speakers to adjust the volume.  This will ensure that clipping should be prevented although it may still occur.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hey all,

New to this forum, and the world of headphones, speakers, amplifiers and all those other source components that I have no idea how they work. I've noticed that my speakers (a basic Logitech 2.1 set, not sure which model) sound scratchy when the volume is turned up fairly high, the dial is turned 3/4 of the way, but the volume on my laptop is at around 10 (out of 100). The laptop is an ASUS N61 - a built in sound card I'm assuming. As well, at certain parts of some songs, the sound becomes ear-cringing and unbearable, I literally wince. One of the songs is a Korean ballad (if it helps), sung by a female vocalist.

This happens at parts where the pitch becomes high - not just for the song mentioned. I'm not sure if this problem can be dealt with by use of an amp, or simply it is because of poor quality components/recordings. I'm on the verge of purchasing a set of headphones, so if an amp is the solution, it'd would be best if I could use it to drive the hp's as well.

Thanks in advance for all the help! :)

Take a good CD and convert it to lossless (e.g. FLAC) using freeware such as Musicbee and check if you get the same problems. Frequently it's the source file that needs fixing. Most (not all) modern PC sound cards are pretty decent with regards to digital to analog conversion and amping. If you still have problems it may be the speakers as NA Blur mentioned. Of course the full solution would be PC -> DAC -> amp -> headphones for most laptop listeners in Forums such as this, but you can say goodbye to your wallet after that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back