A basic 1-8Gb MP3 player <250$ (w/ gapless)?
Feb 11, 2008 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

visara

Head-Fier
[size=xx-small](Sorry for asking for very basic stuff, I searched the forums but couldn't find any threads closely resembling this - if such exist and I just missed them, I'd be grateful for a link or something)[/size]

Anyway, I'm very much out of the loop with the current line of MP3 players, so I need some help.

I'm looking for a basic no-BS flash MP3 player with the following features:

- simple 'removable drive' file management without the need to install any proprietary software (ala iPod)
- A good sound quality (192 kb/s MP3s are good enough for me, so it doesn't necessarily need to be ultra high-end FLAC stuff)
- about 1-4Gb's of space (more is more but not really necessary)
- USB-connection without the need of extra cables (I think the way it's done in the Samsung YP-U1 is pretty ideal)
- Gapless playback (or at least near-gapless)
- Slim size
- at least a small screen
- Less than ~200 euros price
- and basic common sense stuff like succesfully ordering the files in alphabetical order by filename, a sensible UI, good battery life, no really annoying quirks etc...

So basically I'm not looking for a massive and expensive media-center WLAN etc device, but a device that's only used to play back music.

This would be ideal. I understand if I can't find a product which is perfect, so I'm ready to bend on any of those requirements - feel free to recommend anything that's even close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 18
How about something like sandisk sansa express? - from about £20, small screen, you can drag and drop files to it in explorer (though windows sees it as a media device, not a 'normal' drive), sound quality excellent, nice design and small, can add microsd cards, didn't find any especially annoying UI quirks after a quick look...

Amazon sent me the wrong model - but liked it enough that I'm returning it to get the right version
biggrin.gif

ETA: this apparently doesn't have gapless playback. I can't say I noticed this when listening - so I suspect small gaps - but this may be an issue for you...

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 18
Oops... bad answer
smily_headphones1.gif
(deleted).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't support gapless.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meizu M3 or M6SL (2, 4, 8GB)
Sony NWZ-A81x or s61x ???

Don't support gapless.

My suggestion is a 1st gen nano with rockbox...a line out dock would improve the SQ if needed

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

My suggestion is a 1st gen nano with rockbox...a line out dock would improve the SQ if needed

needs an extra cable.

moral of the story is that you'll probably need to sacrifice on one of your requirements. you said all could be bent, but which are the most important?

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
needs an extra cable.

moral of the story is that you'll probably need to sacrifice on one of your requirements. you said all could be bent, but which are the most important?

it was more of a side note for something to look into if needed zip22, not a recommendation
redface.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Don't support gapless.

x2!
Not to mention it can be gotten cheap
Do note that it has approximately 10hours of playtime with rockbox

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, if I have to start give up with some of my demands, here would be the order of sacrifice (starting with the smallest sacrifice).

1.) USB-connection without the need of extra cables
2.) simple 'removable drive' file management (with one qualifier - iTunes is out of the question, as is anything that's as intrusive)
3.) gapless playback

Although it's of course impossible to do this with mathematical precision. For example the sandisk sansa express looks quite compelling even though it lacks gapless playback - simply because it's so cheap. Also I find it quite difficult to judge the importance of gapless playback - for 2/3 of my music it makes no difference, but without it some albums are unplayable. Also it depends on how noticeable the gaps are - on my girlfriends Samsung YP-U1 I find them to be quite big and disturbing. If the gaps were minimal, I think I could live with that...

Also I find it kind of bizarre that I have to start giving up on some of my demands, considering how very basic and common sense they all seem to me. I mean, these are hardly esoteric demands, but rather what you'd assume a basic well-designed MP3 player to have.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by imported_jon_m
How about something like sandisk sansa express? [...] ETA: this apparently doesn't have gapless playback. I can't say I noticed this when listening - so I suspect small gaps - but this may be an issue for you...

Hey that looks actually pretty nice. At least it's ridiculously inexpensive - the 1Gb model is 36€! Almost suspiciously cheap actually - I'm having hard time believing that there's nothing wrong with the player... How's the cap that's protecting the USB-jack? Does it look like it will be lost in a month?

Have you tried to play continuously mixed albums with it yet to see how irritating the gaps are? If they are indeed minimally small, I think I could live with that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trekstor Vibez 12gb has gapless but I live in the US so I don't know the prices there.

Thanks for the heads up, this looks really great! It would be absolutely perfect if it had an inbuilt USB-jack, too bad it needs a cable. It's weird design - they're clearly designed it to be very usable as a removable drive, but still you need to carry around a cable as big as the player to use it! Nevertheless, as I just listed, that's the least relevant of my demands...

In the Anythingbutipod review they complained that the scroll wheel is awkward and imprecise - how have you found it? Also I noticed that they listed "Hard disk instead of flash memory" as a con. Does HD have some disadvantages to flash?

Also, does it have any gap-detection features to use with poorly encoded MP3s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma

This is interesting, I've been totally in the dark about this whole Rockbox thing. I was trying to read the manuals and FAQs but I couldn' find out probably the most crucial detail: with Rockbox, do I still need iTunes to load MP3's to the player or does the player show up as a removable drive? Or is there some kind of Rockbox software that does the job? I mean I refuse to install iTunes on my computer (and take over my music listening and my life
smily_headphones1.gif
) but if i didn't need to iPod might be an alternative after all.

I'd just need to find a 1st generation nano from somewhere, which might be tricky - at least mp3-player.de doesn't seem to carry them anymore. Any suggestions where to get one?

Does rockbox support any players that have an inbuilt USB-jack? I mean with that I'd get it all wouldn't I?

Also, is there any Cowon player that would be anything close to what I'm looking for? Or Samsung players (one user review claimed that the YP-Z5 is gapless)? Or any other suggestions?

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by visara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting, I've been totally in the dark about this whole Rockbox thing. I was trying to read the manuals and FAQs but I couldn' find out probably the most crucial detail: with Rockbox, do I still need iTunes to load MP3's to the player or does the player show up as a removable drive?

Nope, iTunes is not needed with Rockbox. Just drag and drop!

Quote:

Does rockbox support any players that have an inbuilt USB-jack? I mean with that I'd get it all wouldn't I?

iriver H100 (though this player does not charge via USB)
irver H300
Toshibia Gigabeat F series

These are all hard drive based, and thus may not meet your size requirements.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, iTunes is not needed with Rockbox. Just drag and drop!

That's great, thanks!

Those other players you mentioned indeed seem to be so large that they kinda defeat the purpose of the inbuilt jack...

But I still haven't seen 1st gen Nanos for sale anywhere, any suggestions where to look?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by visara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey that looks actually pretty nice. At least it's ridiculously inexpensive - the 1Gb model is 36€! Almost suspiciously cheap actually - I'm having hard time believing that there's nothing wrong with the player... How's the cap that's protecting the USB-jack? Does it look like it will be lost in a month?

Have you tried to play continuously mixed albums with it yet to see how irritating the gaps are? If they are indeed minimally small, I think I could live with that...

Sorry for slow reply - just had 2gb version sent. Gaps are minimally small to my ears - but how people perceive these things can vary, of course...

The USB cover on the express is pretty stiff and chunky - if u lose it, I don't think the designer's to blame
wink.gif
The player is plastic, of course, but nice looking and build quality not bad (better than you'd expect for the price). Sound is excellent imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back