A/B Switch
Dec 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sugarkang

500+ Head-Fier
I apologize to those of you that find this obvious.
To anyone else looking for a solution, this is cheap and it works. 

ISSUE:  I own 2 headphones and I'm tired of unplugging / plugging them.  I want to have both headphones always plugged in.  I wanted a switch  that controlled whether sound plays through A or B.  In other words, ONE input and TWO outputs controlled by switch. 

SOLUTION 1 (DISCONTINUED ITEM) Buy a Plantronics headset / speaker switch.  Plantronics goes to soundcard.  Two outputs.  Don't have to use one for speaker as both are 3.5mm.  Unfortunately, I could not find them anywhere.  Discontinued long ago.  Other competing solutions exist.  Super ugly and crap build quality.

SOLUTION 2 (MAKE YOUR OWN):  Guy on youtube shows how to make a switch box from scratch.  Too lazy. 

SOLUTION 3 (UNINTENDED PRODUCT):  I needed ONE input and TWO outputs.  There were plenty of boxes that did the opposite:  TWO inputs and ONE output.  Does it work?  Yes. 

PICTURE 1:  RCA switch box ($6 on Amazon) ordinarily used to switch between different video products.  Yellow input plugs were obviously unnecessary and not used. 

PICTURE 2:  RCA box has input from my Asus Xonar U1.  So both channels have some amount of amplification sent.  The B channel on the right has its own FiiO E5 for extra amping and separate bass boost capability. 

PICTURE 3:  XB-700 on channel A powered by U1 alone.  No bass boost needed.  DT-880 on channel B powered by U1.  E5 added to channel B only because bass boost button is beneficial.  I am planning to use a splitter on channel B to output to 880 and 990.  Each will have its own E5, with the power button functioning as a "mute" button. 

PROS:  cheap.

CONS:  cheap.  Breaks head-fi rule - expensive sounds better.  Not a solution for people who believe cables affect sound quality. 

CONCLUSION:  TWO inputs, ONE output box works fine, unless an EE wants to weigh in and tell me that I'm screwing up some kind of resonance polarity technical mumbo jumbo.  Two girls, one cup probably also works, but wouldn't recommend it.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmm.. a video switch-box. Saw that plenty a-time, never knew that you can use it for this purpose.
Also that thing you mentioned in your conclusion. Yeah don't Google that.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 10
It's not really for comparing headphones, but for purpose driven listening.
My Sonys do electronica and hip hop.  My Beyers do everything else. 

Pretty sure most people on head-fi have multiple cans. 
I guess they don't switch that often.  Maybe this is what you meant? 

I switch every time I want to listen to bassy songs. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
It's not really for comparing headphones, but for purpose driven listening.
My Sonys do electronica and hip hop.  My Beyers do everything else. 

Pretty sure most people on head-fi have multiple cans. 
I guess they don't switch that often.  Maybe this is what you meant? 

I switch every time I want to listen to bassy songs. 

Ah. I have two phones but my rig (see sig) does most things quite finely, although I don't listen to classical on CD and it ain't that good for electronic/dance/house...

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Did you try the other Beyers before settling on the 880s? 
I just ordered 990s to test and make sure that the 880s are the one to keep.

Quote:
Ah. I have two phones but my rig (see sig) does most things quite finely, although I don't listen to classical on CD and it ain't that good for electronic/dance/house...

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Did you try the other Beyers before settling on the 880s? 
I just ordered 990s to test and make sure that the 880s are the one to keep.

Quote:

Not really. Wanted to try the DT990 but apparently it has more bass and shriller highs, and lord knows for how long the D-90 can keep functioning. One day, if I go tubes, I'll grab a new phone. In other cases, I'll just get a graphic EQ to go with the D-90.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 10
You're probably thinking of a different Xonar.
Mine is an external USB one with a knob controller.
Even assuming I had the Xonar you're thinking of, I don't want two headphones playing at the same time.

Quote:
Why not just hook up the Sony to your Xonar's headphone jack, and the E5 + DT880 to the line-out jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back