A/B Switch for Minis?
Jun 20, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 17
well,

I know there are those that dont believe a cable matters, I dont know the science of it, but I do know that I was able to decipher an audioble difference between to mystery cables,

thats good enough for me.

of course there is the possibility that I am psychic and just guessed correctly :p

or maybe a fluke random percentage that result in a common answer 4 out of 4. IMO there was more then psycho aucoustics playing, as I didnt know what I was listening too. and still guessed correctly.
I couldnt hold more tests as my cousin was getting really antsy and bored just swapping cables for me.

this wasnt fun though, it takes the enjoyment out of the music,
just follow this motto, if it sounds good to you it is good. is a $3 cable sounds good to you, then it is good.

but if you tell me this cable sounds identical to another, then Id have to disagree as my ears in a blind test proved to me that it didnt. subtle as it may be, there were slight audioble differences. there was a point where two notes blended together in the audio snipped, as a result at one point there was an audio high frequency pitch from the combination, an over tone, I used that as my main marker and one was more pronounced and sharp while the other was less obtrusive. the over tone only lasted a fraction of a second, but long enough for me to guess which cable was plugged in.

now give me a audio snippet of 3 minutes length or so, and I dont think I would be have done so well, as there are so many different tiny nuances that you have to remember before switching and by then, you probably forgotten all of them. I think though, this is my opinion.. that a casual listen would probably allow someone to subconsciencely noticed the tiny characteristics, even though he would not be able to know what to listen to. Which is why some people say this one sounds more airier, this one is warmer. Im sure there are also phsycho acoustics at play, but not all of it is imaginary.
Anyhow anyone that disagrees that conductors do not sound different and so on, all you have to do is buy the rat shack and be happy. My ears have a tiny bit of training, not much, as Ive had musicians and singers introduce me to nuances in music that I was never aware of. i.e. how to listen to micro tuning and so on, i.e. if a note is just a smidget off key, it would sound on key to a casual listener but a trained singer can tell its off. I try not to listen to music that suffers from that as it makes my hearing dumbed down when I have to listen critically. and a while back I had to fiddle with mixers, not much though.

anyhow, I heard a difference more so that a perception. Im happy with what I am using, and thats the most important. I just dont get when skeptics tell me what I SHOULD NOT have heard when I did hear it.

okies have a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back