a 9v battery exploded
Nov 7, 2008 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
here's the aftermath with pixel goodness:

3011409906_cee69594dc_o.jpg

yikes!

it was sitting in my bedroom on a night table (small desk). sitting upright, not connected, hadn't been used for a few days. I 'used it up' in a pimeta and it was too low a voltage to be useful so I removed it from my amp and was planning to throw it out. later.

a loud BANG came from my bedroom. I came in to find the battery lying on its side and parts of it on the floor.

thank god that didn't happen when I was sleeping in there! and yes, it was on my night table right next to my bed. sheesh!

I've read a lot about li-ions being bad from sony (and many other makers). this is my first experience with a common alkaline battery exploding all on its own!

be careful where you store batteries. even 'used up' ones. geeze...

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 10

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
I keep a spare 9V cell in my bag (in case the current one in the Corda Move runs dry). I used to keep the cell together with the iPod LOD in the same pocket compartment. Once, the two terminals came in contact with the LOD plug, creating a short and causing the cell to heat up to burning temperatures. I am sure an explosion would have occurred had I not felt there was a fire going on inside my own bag. Now I keep the cell in some sort of protective cover to effectively isolate the terminals.

Had it exploded though, I am sure the cell would look like yours or worse.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 10

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
At least nobody was hurt...
Batteries explode from time to time, even if its rare.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 10

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha very comforting krmathis!

He he! Maybe not. But the truth must come out...
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread