A-500s vs. DT880s
Mar 24, 2005 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheWayofWay

Head-Fier
For a while now, I've been letting my A500s collect dust. I decided to try them out again after using the DT880s for a long time.

My first thought upon wielding the A500s again was of the fabric cable. For some reason I just really like that fabric cable. The DT880s plastic-ish cable just seems so cheap for some reason. Upon putting them on, I found the wing system to be a bit uncomfortable. Like a pressing sensation on the top of the head... nothing major but it won't beat the DT880s. Nor will the pads, as they heat up a bit. They're still comfy though.

Sonically, I immediately felt that the A500s were really sluggish It seemed to have this echoey molasses type feel to it. I also noticed that the mids are slightly in the background, with a powerful bass kind of shadowing it. As for the highs? Not sure, but they seem fine. The thing that really sticks out in comparison though definitely must be the bass. It seems so much more powerful than the DT880s, but very one note as well. For example, different bass notes were clear on the DT880s. Yet, on the A500s, they lacked the separation.

The DT880s are leaps and bounds ahead of the A500s in all aspects... except maybe the closed design. That's more a matter of preference though. Just thought I'd share this experience... all using my setup in the sig.

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 4
Good comparison...and I would hope the DT880 is better since it is more than twice as expensive as the A500.

Edit: Also, I am sure you would have no problem selling your A500 on here.

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 4
They should fair similarly, especially since the only difference seems to be the enclosure. I suspect the metal housing would make it less sluggish than the A500, yet it would be very similar in sound. The A900s don't really look too much like a good deal now.

However, the A500s seem to be just great. I had a little time with my friends K240s, and I preferred my A500s. The K240s had boomy bass and less clarity, not to mention the open design. Personally, I feel the A500s are a good starter headphone, especially for one hundred. One day, I'll have to try out the Grados or Alessandros to see which really is the best budget phone. Fast rock isn't really my taste though, so I may be biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back