a 12V battery in a cmoy amp
Mar 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

logosway

New Head-Fier
Is it possible to use a 12V battery, like this:
http://www.online-batterien.de/shop/bilder/produkte/gross/GP-High-Voltage-Battery-23AE-A23-V23GA-MN21-5er-Blister.jpg
in the cmoy?
beside checking a voltage of C1, not smaller than 12V, what else do i need to take care of?

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Is it possible to use a 12V battery, like this:
http://www.online-batterien.de/shop/bilder/produkte/gross/GP-High-Voltage-Battery-23AE-A23-V23GA-MN21-5er-Blister.jpg
in the cmoy?
beside checking a voltage of C1, not smaller than 12V, what else do i need to take care of?

You would likely run into issues with power since a23 batteries typically have a capacity of around 55 mAh

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 4
^Ditto

One of them batterys would last you a couple of hours in a CMOY

It's also alkaline so within less than a week you have a dead battery on your hands £1.50 down the drain - cannot be recharged.

9V alkaline (or 18v x2)
9V Nihm (or 18v x2)
Or up to 7.2V Li-ion/pol

are the best options

Overall if you are happy to make a simple trickle charge circuit the NihM pays for itself (1 or 2 pounds more than an alkaline)

Could use a 3.6V Li-ion cell with a small step-up & rail splitter circuit - Need to buy a protection PCB and Charger circuit (Both can be bought for around £3-4 - USB or DC JACK)

Past 7.2V with li-on (2  batterys) it's very hard to find a small cheap easy charging solution

If you have little to no technical understanding or expierance stay away from Li-ion-Poly
If you don't want to be messing around with rechargables a 9V alkaline is your best option (or Lithium)

You could take a couple of them 12v batterys and put them all in parralel to increase your mAh - But your price to battery life is still very bad - Which makes this option as a power source pretty much non viable.

Also (probaly the biggest point) is these batteries are intended for low power application s- a cmoy draws more current then these batteries will be happy to supply - especially if you have an LED in your circuit.

It's a no go.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 4
double ditto... and add to it that Alkaline battery chemistry suffers voltage sag when application capacity rating "C"  (mah capacity of battery / ma drawn by the circuit) nears ~1.  So your 12V alkaline battery is really not "all that" under that kind of load.

For me, 2x NiMH with a simple charge circuit is the way to go.  These energizers are at least 5-6 years old.  I use them in my cmoy and OPA2107,  with a radio hack charger I top them off every once in a while.  Sometimes I charge them individually on my hobby charger just for the heck of it... but thats rare, the rat shack wall wart charger works fine. The OPA210 is a finicky op amp, it goes into oscillation with lower Voltages.  Lithium based chemistries are all the rage, but for a cmoy NiMH 9V (or two of them at 18) makes the most sense... IMHO.  Simple, effective, reliable, safe, affordable... can't lose.

The other idea I am toying with is 14-15 eneloop AAs.  That way I can charge it once every other year, and Eneloops will hold the charge better than anything of comparable volume and power density.

Anyhow, heres my 6 year old 18V setup... no complaints after 6 years, is a pretty solid track record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back