Aëdle ODS-1 In-Ear
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #46 of 57
Of course, I have to find it in my pile of too-much-stuff...

May 5, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #47 of 57
May 5, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #48 of 57
I did, I'll take A few minutes to compare them on the weekend.

May 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #49 of 57
OK, @jwbrent, quickie comparison. Got to listen a bit Friday night (seem to have misplaced them again, typical me...). First, lets start off saying it isn't quite a fair comparison, the ODS-1 sells for about twice the JVC, you'd hope it would deliver something for the price. And, in my quick comparison, it was evident pretty quickly, the ODS-1 has a clearer, cleaner, more open sound (I actually don't think this is a strength of the ODS-1; there are others in the class that better it, but compared to the JVC, it wins here). Detail is comparable in some ways, but is more realistically presented in the ODS-1. The JVC has more high end energy, but high sounds are cleaner and more defined on the ODS-1. Soundstage is wider on the JVC, but deeper, more layered on the ODS-1. And the bass, which the JVC does well, is better on the ODS-1 (this is where I think the ODS-1 has its strongest showing, bass is round, deep, present).
I always liked my woodies; they are a good buy. Don't beat or tie the ODS-1, though...

May 7, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #50 of 57
OK, @jwbrent, quickie comparison. Got to listen a bit Friday night (seem to have misplaced them again, typical me...). First, lets start off saying it isn't quite a fair comparison, the ODS-1 sells for about twice the JVC, you'd hope it would deliver something for the price. And, in my quick comparison, it was evident pretty quickly, the ODS-1 has a clearer, cleaner, more open sound (I actually don't think this is a strength of the ODS-1; there are others in the class that better it, but compared to the JVC, it wins here). Detail is comparable in some ways, but is more realistically presented in the ODS-1. The JVC has more high end energy, but high sounds are cleaner and more defined on the ODS-1. Soundstage is wider on the JVC, but deeper, more layered on the ODS-1. And the bass, which the JVC does well, is better on the ODS-1 (this is where I think the ODS-1 has its strongest showing, bass is round, deep, present).
I always liked my woodies; they are a good buy. Don't beat or tie the ODS-1, though...

Thank you very much for your observations. So, you didn't find the bass on the ODS-1 to be too emphasized or that it intruded into the lower mids?

May 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #51 of 57
It does, and that, along with the roll off in the high end, is where I'd criticize it. Makes it lean to the dark side of things. Mostly notice it with more complex music. But, It's a relative thing. I'd still take it over the JVC. But I'd like more detail, openness, air. It kills in the bass, though, and has a nice, organic warmth to it (you can't have everything, you know). Struggling to get it done, but I hope to have a review on The Headphone List at some point.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #52 of 57
It does, and that, along with the roll off in the high end, is where I'd criticize it. Makes it lean to the dark side of things. Mostly notice it with more complex music. But, It's a relative thing. I'd still take it over the JVC. But I'd like more detail, openness, air. It kills in the bass, though, and has a nice, organic warmth to it (you can't have everything, you know). Struggling to get it done, but I hope to have a review on The Headphone List at some point.

I think these would be a welcome addition to my growing internationally represented IEM collection. I owned all the top end JVC woodies since they came out and currently have the FW01, and with certain kinds of music, I like the way the bass hits. My reference IEM is the FI-BA-SS, and I use it the most since I love the upper frequency presentation.

Hopefully, Aedle will have a sale during the Munich or London show, so I'll pick up a set then. One final thing, build quality is an important factor in my purchasing decisions ... I love products that are crafted with attention to detail.

Thanks @doctorjazz for all your help. :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #54 of 57
Hi ATau,

I am interested. I'm also very anal about the condition of gear I buy, including the outer box since I collect IEMs.

Can you explain what y mean by the origami case? I presume it is not the same leather case that currently comes with ODS-1

What finish did you buy?

If everything is as brand new, then providing the price is fair, I'm in!

May 9, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #55 of 57
The origami pouch is a folded leather pouch Aëdle shipped with the ODS-1 if you bought it during the pre-sale.
Here are some pictures of it if people are curious to see what it looks like.

I'll send you a PM concerning the earphones :ksc75smile:

2017-05-09 11.08.05.jpg
2017-05-09 11.08.54.jpg

May 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #56 of 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back