96tin / 4silver solder with 1% flux
Jun 6, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 7
i have no first hand experience but i've heard u needa a hellova hot iron to do it. I think the most care must be taken not to cook you components.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 7
I would use 62/36/2 eutectic solder. It is easy to work with and still has silver in it. I haven't used the 96/4 silver stuff, but that has got to be a royal PITA to work with. Using that to solder caps or opamps is probably not a good idea because you'd fry the components before being able to even get the solder to flow.

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 7
I used 96t/4s solder for my first 2 amps. It wasn't too hard to use, but I had been using it for a few years on small soldering tasks. This is with a cheap 15w ratshack iron. Heh, with my worn out tip it was easier to work with then the 63/37 solder I'm using now with the spanking brand new tip (though that's probably because the old tip pretty much lost it's point).

Jun 6, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 7
i'll give it a try and report back on my findings.. hope my 17W iron can handle it..... currently using 60tin / 38 pb / 2 copper solder

does solder make any difference to sq?

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 7
for those in the EU, at least, remember that in a couple of years time solder containing lead will be banned, and unavailable, so it might be time to start thinking of moving to non-toxic solder. However, I can testify that you need a much higher bit temperature!

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back