96khz/24bit Sample
Oct 4, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 34
Something to consider is that you're comparing stereo files that were probably either down-sampled or up-sampled. The difference would be much larger if the whole album was recorded at 24 bit vs. 16 bit. In my experience you get more spatial information and more low end info at 24 bit.

One example that I experienced recently was the Robert Plant/Allison Krauss album. I bought the CD when it originally came out. A few days ago I bought the 24/96 version from HD Tracks. To my ear, there's a noticeable difference.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 34
re: adc comparisons. i thought the best sounding one was the first one (sound devices) but turns out that model goes for over 4 grand. do you know if there is a comparison of more consumer level adc's? such as apogee duet and such range (below 1k)

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something to consider is that you're comparing stereo files that were probably either down-sampled or up-sampled. The difference would be much larger if the whole album was recorded at 24 bit vs. 16 bit. In my experience you get more spatial information and more low end info at 24 bit.

One example that I experienced recently was the Robert Plant/Allison Krauss album. I bought the CD when it originally came out. A few days ago I bought the 24/96 version from HD Tracks. To my ear, there's a noticeable difference.

The "24" part of "24/96" is far more important than the "96" part. There's really nothing wrong with 44.1 KHz as a sampline frequency, but the 16 bits are a little limiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back