963 mods are posted
May 12, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Try a real mod site...
tongue.gif

http://www.asi-audio.com/PhilipsDVD963SA.html

ASI is affiliated with Richard Kern in some form or another. They would probably be my choice.

May 12, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 7
The first site doesn't seem too professional. Anyone tried them before?

May 12, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
The first site doesn't seem too professional. Anyone tried them before?

That's my impression as well. i can't find it now, but there used to be a part where he states he does nor warranty his own work, or something like that.

I prefer radrd's link. In PF's interview with Kern, he seems to value the superclock II as the most effective mod.

May 12, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Try a real mod site...
tongue.gif

http://www.asi-audio.com/PhilipsDVD963SA.html

ASI is affiliated with Richard Kern in some form or another. They would probably be my choice.

Hmm...$800 for $250 of parts anyone with a modicum of soldering ability and electronics knowhow could install themselves. And the first things you want to mod in these players are the output stage and power supply, and he doesn't address either.

EVS has been around a while, and was in the hardware business prior to offering mods, culminating with their highly regarded EVS Millenium II DAC. This isn't some guy running a business from his basement. So they value word-of-mouth to sell products rather than hype from a flashy website - don't hold it against them.

May 12, 2003 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 7
That's what I'm wondering, I mean how come they charge so much for an upgrade. Sometimes the upgrade costs almost the price of the unit.

May 12, 2003 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
That's what I'm wondering, I mean how come they charge so much for an upgrade. Sometimes the upgrade costs almost the price of the unit.

I suppose they figure the end result makes the player competitive with products selling for x amount of money, and they charge accordingly. This way the buyer gets stuck with a unit of far lesser resale value then if they had just went for that costlier piece in the first place.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back