96000 Hz vs. 44100 Hz FLAC?
Nov 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #17 of 27
A CD holds under 800mb of WAV, even 24/96 WAV. FLAC at its highest compression ratio is roughly 35% to 40% of that. That assumes the CD is full. The only way you can get to over 1gb is if:

1. The album spans more than 1 CD
2. You didn't apply highest FLAC compression on 24/96 studio master FLAC
3. You have too many other files in there, like whatever ripper you used made multiple copies of the album cover (one for each song as opposed to linking all to a single JPEG) in high res JPEG, or the whole album cover sleeve was scanned into the file (as would be found in albums from torrents).

I'm seeing this on (normal sized) albums I've bought from Bandcamp. So I guess #2 would apply to the whatever the bands / labels are doing.

As an example, if you buy this album, it comes as a 1.3 GB, 24/96k FLAC download:

Seems to be recent trend as it's mostly newer stuff that's doing this.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #18 of 27
I'm seeing this on (normal sized) albums I've bought from Bandcamp. So I guess #2 would apply to the whatever the bands / labels are doing.

As an example, if you buy this album, it comes as a 1.3 GB, 24/96k FLAC download:

Seems to be recent trend as it's mostly newer stuff that's doing this.

That's the raw studio master copy. You can use any FLAC to FLAC converter to convert it to higher compression ratio FLAC.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #21 of 27
How does this make sense at all? Sampling rate has literally nothing to do with volume. Sounds like you're using software that's doing more than you think

The filters used to lowpass (necessary to avoid aliasing) can cause clipping due to how convolution works.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #23 of 27
What is the difference between FLAC, WAV and DSD?

FLAC (PCM wrapper) is a lossless compression of PCM while WAV (also a PCM wrapper) is a lossless uncompressed of PCM. DSD is a way of storing delta-sigma signal so that a DAC can convert it to analog without oversampling the audio stream.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #27 of 27
@cossix said that 16/44 reproduces sound more faithfully since we do not have ears for bats, but what about 24/44 or 32/44 files? Would these be better?

Hearing the differences between 24/44.1 and 16/44.1 requires specific content and listening setups. The extra bits have zero impact on typical listening scenarios. 32/44.1 is thus overkill and beyond the capabilities of current hardware and hopefully any future hardware you'd ever use to listen to music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back