90 degree LODs
Nov 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hifiguy

Sponsor CablePro
Hello,
I know it's been a long time since I posted anything but I find myself so busy with other projects I often forget to let you know about the things we are doing to make portable music systems as enjoyable as possible.

To that end we are coming out with two new products. Both are 90 degree docks for the iPod. One will be made with the Earcandy Lite cable, the other will be made with the Reverie cable. We demoed both at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and all who tried it raved about the tremendous amount of detail this cable manages without sounding harsh or bright. Many commented on it's excellent extension in extremes as well.

Flexibility is always an issue with portable gear and Reverie allows us to build a cable that performs admirably in desktop systems or in real bagged portable setups. It's so flexible you can bend it back on itself without damaging it or compromising sound quality one iota.

Ray and I roomed together at RMAF and got the opportunity to talk audio late into the night. He mentioned the Shadow and how excited he was to bring something to the community that offered excellent sound in a really compact package.

When I got back from the show he mentioned that he needed a cable to use with the Shadow that was very short and very flexible with a small 90 degree mini male. That was two days before the Shadow debuted and we got our cable there in time for Ray to do some listening. Apparently the Reverie passed the listening test and you all know the initial image posted of the Shadow and Ray's iPod included this Reverie cable.

I offered to send one made with the Earcandy Lite cable as well but he insisted he only wanted to hear the Shadow with our best product. I spoke to him a couple of days later and apparently he had seen a 90 degree dock someone had put together and asked me if we could do such a thing. At that time I told him I didn't know but would research it. He also mentioned that he and some of the people he was getting Shadow orders from objected to the $259.00 price tag of the Reverie cable.

I make no apologies for the price of the Reverie product. It is state-of-the-art in every way, in my opinion it has no sonic equal at this point. So much for modesty. But, I do understand that everyone's budget doesn't offer that option. Hence, the Earcandy Lite.

Earcandy Lite is $119.00 in the 90 degree configuration with the 8.9mm depth dock. I am also build it so that it can exit through the top of the dock as well. For some applications this will be very nice. For the most part Earcandy Lite has been overlooked, I would like to tell you about it so you understand what a truly outstanding value it is. This cable is custom made to our specifications to offer exceptional performance at a reasonable price.

Earcandy Lite has three conductors and a shield. One of the conductors is a bare OFC uninsulated cable that spirals around the OFC braided shield. Both conductor and shield are tin plated. The other two conductors consist of 50 very small strands of OFC that is coated in a Nitrogen injected, foamed Polypropylene dielectric. Lower in loss than extruded teflon. The jacket is loosely extruded over the braided shield housing the conductors purposely to minimize the microphonics of the cable. The exceptionally small conductors make the cable very flexible but more importantly they allow the cable to be flexed repeatly over it's lifetime with causing micro-fractures in the conductors themselves. Very important to sound quality.

I defy anyone to compare this to a stiff cable using teflon as a dielectric. There simply is nothing anywhere near this price point that sounds better or delivers that sonic quality over the lifespan of the product. Hook-up wire, and that is what we are talking about when the cable is stiff and uses a hard extruded dielectric, is fine for the innards of a headphone amp, preamp, power amp, or any other enclosed device. But as an exposed cable there are other designs that perform much better initially and over the long run. I'm not suggesting it can't sound very good, but in my, perhaps not so humble opinion, it is not the answer.

Here are images of the new Reverie 90 degree LOD and the new Earcandy Lite 90degree LOD. I am a fanatic when it comes to sound quality, I know that most, if not all of you are as well, try either of these cables and I think you will be very pleased.

I'm not suggesting either of these cables will be perfect for every system. Some people will harbor certain prejudices for certain manufacturer's products, some will have systems that are a poor match for our cable, others just don't believe cable is relevant. For those of you that seek insight into music, and want to enjoy music for all it's beauty you won't be disappointed.

I am loading these up on the website in a few minutes, check them out at CablePro Cable, Connectors, and Accessories instantly upgrade your audio video system, they will be under the iPod cable heading under All Cable Products. Thanks for taking time to read this, let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

lg_ecl_90_lod.jpg
lg_rev_90_lod.jpg

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Love this cable , and I have to say that it is a pleassure to do bussiness with Mr Peisly, he is a true Pro and he is very pasionate about his products. I really believe that he is out there for more than just making money. He is one of those lucky guys that gets to do what the love as a source of income. Enough about him , I would like to let everyone outthere know that the reverie LOD sounds amazing even without burn in time. And as time passses it keeps getting better , great detail without being to brigth , great mids and amazing bass. Construction is top notch, I am sure that this cable is going to last a long time. I am using it with my RSA Shadow and Iphone 3Gs , and I think it is a perfect match.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 11
Are these iphone/itouch compatible (i.e., is there a 68k resistor on pin 21 to suppress the "This accessory is not made to work with the iphone/itouch" message)?

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 11
They work with my itouch 1st generation very well and as well with my iPhone 3Gs and nano 3rd generation, believe me they sound great.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 11
Also, what if I want a really short (2in) cable? What would the pricing for that be like (the website doesn't allow me to enter anything shorter than 1 foot).

I'm still unconvinced that this cable works without a warning message popping up on the ipod touch 2/3g. I've tried building one myself, and unless there's some source of really tiny 68k resistors that I haven't discovered, it seems physically impossible to fit one within the slim 8.9mm docks. Without the resistor, the cable will work but will always pop up the warning message when plugged in.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halluci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what if I want a really short (2in) cable? What would the pricing for that be like (the website doesn't allow me to enter anything shorter than 1 foot).

I'm still unconvinced that this cable works without a warning message popping up on the ipod touch 2/3g. I've tried building one myself, and unless there's some source of really tiny 68k resistors that I haven't discovered, it seems physically impossible to fit one within the slim 8.9mm docks. Without the resistor, the cable will work but will always pop up the warning message when plugged in.

Like I said before my friend, It works perfect with my 1st generation Ipod touch. I never got a message from it, I get a message from my Iphone asking me if I want the phone to go into airplane mode. Give it a try and you will see the improvement in your rig will be significant , you will be very happy. It just keeps getting better , it sounds amazing.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by che15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get a message from my Iphone asking me if I want the phone to go into airplane mode.

That's exactly what I don't want. I've already built myself an excellent sounding cable that achieves what I'm looking for in terms of the size and flexibility that I want; my interest in this cable was that maybe they had somehow found a way to suppress the airplane mode message, which really annoys me, in the small form factor (something which I have not managed to do yet myself). I guess not though (1st gen ipod touches had a different pin configuration, it's only 2nd/3rd gen ipods that run into the airplane mode issue).

I apologize if I sounded like I was accusing you of lying; I just wanted some further clarification. I'm sure the cable sounds as good as you describe, and it sure looks very compact and well built; but it doesn't offer me anything more than what I already currently have, so I think I'll pass on this one.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 11
I now understand what you are after , if I ever see that feature on aother cable I will let you know. Take care.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 11
The Cable Pro new low profile LOD "reverie" review
Posted 12-12-2009 at 02:35 AM by che15
Tags

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to post a humble but honest review about the new LOD from Mr Ted Peisly "The Cable Pro". After buying and enjoying a couple of his products I asked Ted if he could build me a low profile LOD to go with my Iphone 3Gs > RSA Shadow and my new Etymotic ER-4S, and he said that he would love to try to build me one using his top of the line Reverie cable and so he did.
After about one week Ted called me and told me that he had in his hand his first low profile LOD, he shipped it to me that same day and a few days later it was in my hands. At first sight the cable design and construction looked top notch , it just looked great, just like Teds other products that I own.
I listed to the cable before I did any burning, and it sound it great right out of the box.
I listened to Apple lossless tracks of Diana Krall , The girl in the other room, Eric Clapton unpluged cd,and some tracks from The world's greates audiophile vocal recordings, vocals where just amazing , mid and low bass where strong , articulate and tight , great detail to the music I have not heard this amount of information out my portable rig with any other LOD. This cable did all this right out of the box without it being to bright or fatiguing to my ears.
After Burning the cable for over a 125 hours the sound got even better , more natural and true to the music it was carrying from my Iphone to my Shadow, mids are warm and sweet , and midbass became even tigther. On another note I wanted to let you know that this is the most flexible LOD that I have ever seen , it works perfect with my rig. as you can see in the pictures. I know many of you will find the price a little high compared to other LODS in the market, but believe me this cable is a piece of art it will get the full potential of the electronics it conects together, Once you listen to it you will see that it is worht your hard earned money. Mr Paisly is also making a cheaper Low profile LOD using his Ear Candy Light which I am burning as I write this and I will let you know my experience as soon as is burnt in and I do some listening. I would like to thanks Ted for this wonderfull cable and his professionalim and willingness to try to meet mine and everyones needs when needing custom cables. This cable will give me many years of enjoyment and I could not be any happier.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 11
I've had the pleasure of listening to two of Ted's new 90 degree LOD, and I am posting my thoughts here in case it helps anyone looking for a new LOD. In my case, I was interested in the 90 degree low profile LOD for when I receive my Pico Slim soon, and to use with my iBasso T3 that I have now.

I have many LOD around the house, including a few much older LOD that wont work at all on newer Nanos, Touch or iPhone. Older LOD made before iPhone didn't have a way to tell the iPhone and others to shut off their internal speaker, and that same issue resides with the 4G/5G Nano and 2G/3G Touch. So, the old ones don't work at all and music plays through the speakers and not the LOD. The warning message doesn't mean anything bad to me, and I don't think the 68K resistor on pin 22 is a big deal.

One of my favorite LOD has always been my ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X iMod LOD which is not a 90 degree low profile, and it's too old to work with any iPod that has a built-in speaker and so it only works with my 5.5G iMod, and 2G/3G Nano. I also have a very nice iMod LOD made more recently by stevenkelby with Piccolino wire, which will work with iPhone and newer Nano/Touch but it's also not a 90 degree low profile. I think I like the Piccolino LOD a little more, and both of these LOD would be near $200 (more for Piccolino now).

Then I have two different non-iMod low profile 90 degree LOD made by punnisher for $40, one shorter for 3G Nano/P-51 that doesn't work with a newer Nano, Touch or iPhone, and a longer one for using my iPhone or 2G Touch to play through my Stax SR-001 Mk2 where the input is high up on the side of the amp. I also have a nice dead soft silver in silk insulation LOD made by barqy that wont work on an iPhone or newer Nano/Touch. It was about $80 2 years ago. I wont discuss my SARN LOD since -=she=- is banned.

So, what I needed was some 90 degree LOD that could work with ALL iPods/iPhones, but with shorter wire than the one punnisher LOD. And, I wasn't as happy with the transparency of the newer/longer 90 degree LOD that punnisher made, after comparing it to the superior Piccolino cable dock. That's where Ted's CablePro LOD come in. I met Ted and had dinner with him and Ray Samuels at RMAF, and he is an audio enthusiast who builds nice cables, and is not just in it for the money. He seems to truly be looking for the best way to do something without going broke or cutting corners.

I have been happy with my CablePro Panorama headphone extension cable for almost 2 years now, and when used with my APS V3 cabled headphones I don't feel like I am losing anything in exchange for the extra distance I can get from my amplifier. I more recently discussed getting an LOD along with the idea of resistors to disable the iPhone warning, or capacitors in his LOD for iMod compatibility; but the space is quite tight inside these slim docks and it's not cost effective right now to design a proprietary connector at this time. Nevertheless, the iPhone warning message means nothing, as the LOD work fine when you select "no" and leave the radio on.

Ted sent me a 90 degree Reverie cable LOD, and a 90 degree Earcandy Lite LOD, and I have compared them to my other LOD and find them to be very good sounding. I got the Reverie as a left exit, and the Earcandy as a right exit, to allow more flexibilty with matching to different amps. The Earcandy right exit allows using my iPhone with iBasso T3 without covering the amp's headphone out jack, and in the future it will allow using it with the Pico Slim while covering the USB charging jack. The Reverie with it's increased flexibility and left exit allows using with iPhone and P-51 without covering up the amps headphone jack, but still allowing it to go around the volume knob; and once I get my Pico slim I can use it without covering the USB jack in case I want to play and charge the amp at the same time. With the T3 it covers the headphone jack, and I have to use a slim 90 degree 1/8" jack extension to get it to plug in and fit between the amp and the LOD's plug (it may have come with sony earphones a long time ago)

As far as the sound goes, both LOD are better than both of my punnisher LOD in terms of transparency and detail, as the improvement in clarity over the punnisher iPhone LOD is as noticeable as it is with my silver in silk LOD which is pretty close to the Earcandy LOD. I find the Reverie cable to be on par with both of my most expensive iMod LOD when used with my 3G Nano/P-51/JH13pro - with good detail, transparency and lack of coloration. Vocals are rich and vibrant and present, as expected. Bass and treble have good extension, and the treble/detail is not slightly dulled or blunted like with the punnisher LOD. Only with my iPhone do I find the Piccolino wire LOD to be slightly more detailed and transparent. I could not test the ALO LOD with the iPhone or 5G Nano to compare, so I only used the 3G Nano (which is better than my 2G Nano).

The Earcandy LOD is not far behind the Reverie at all. I can sense a greater degree of transparency with the Reverie, but I might not have felt that I was missing anything if I didn't compare it to the Reverie, Piccolino or ALO LOD (on the 3G Nano). I would say that in my comparisons that the Earcandy has a very slightly warmer fuller mids and slightly more "rounded on top" sound vs the top 3 LODs, but this is a distinct advantage when I am using my Westone 3 with single flange silicone tips on the T3 amp. I don't feel like I am losing anything with this combo like I do with the punnisher LOD. With my Piccolino LOD that T3/W3 combo has been slightly bright, and better with the ALO or Reverie.

As far as build quality is concerned, both CablePro LOD look and feel strudy and well made, and on the Reverie there is strain relief appropriately used where the wire enters the dock and plug. The exposed cable on the Reverie does look and feel a bit thin, but the extra flexibility over the Earcandy is appreciated. The Earcandy cable is still flexible, but the sheath or covering over the wire causes it to want to spring back to a more open "U" shape, while the Reverie can make a sharper bend without "fighting" the bend. Neither uses a stiff wire that holds a position when bent one way or the other, just like with my Piccolino LOD. With my ALO LOD, when I need to adjust it for a different iPod configuration I worry that the flexing will weaken it over time, so I tend to only use it with my iMod even though it sounded great with my 2G/3G Nanos.

So, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Reverie for those that want to eek out that last last few percent from their iPod/amp rig, and the Earcandy as a less expensive but good bang for the buck that competes with more costly LODs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back