8tracks is awesome!
Jan 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

imkenny

New Head-Fier

I discovered 8tracks a while ago and use it primarily for my music needs. I've discovered a bunch of good classical,electronic, hip hop on there. It's the reason I decided to get nice headphones!

8tracks.com

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 8
What frustrate me with 8tracks, is that  I  didn't  found a way to record their stream.
Or download a "full playlist", to listen it later.
And I  don't understand this stupid "8 tracks" limitation. Why not up to 20 ?
From what I've read , 8tracks is streaming in 64kps aac+

I  prefer to look at last.fm statistics (takes a bit some times), and when I  find something interesting I  just download it in lossless.
Also there's a script in mediamonkey, "last.fm node", that helps to imitate a radio : it gathers stats from last.fm, and use them to play similar tracks from your hard drive.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
What frustrate me with 8tracks, is that  I  didn't  found a way to record their stream.
Or download a "full playlist", to listen it later.
And I  don't understand this stupid "8 tracks" limitation. Why not up to 20 ?
From what I've read , 8tracks is streaming in 64kps aac+

I  prefer to look at last.fm statistics (takes a bit some times), and when I  find something interesting I  just download it in lossless.
Also there's a script in mediamonkey, "last.fm node", that helps to imitate a radio : it gathers stats from last.fm, and use them to play similar tracks from your hard drive.

Dear god, it sounds awful.

OP, have you ever tried last.fm?

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 8
Last.fm's radio is great but it's not handpicked like 8tracks.  8tracks uploads might be transcoded to lower quality for sake of speed of streaming but it hardly sounds anywhere close to being as low as 64kbps... the sound is more comparable to say, 192kbps, which is serviceable for streaming IMO.  

The limitation isn't 8 tracks either.  I believe you could make a playlist 50-100 tracks if you wanted to.  I cap my playlists around 11 songs or so.

8tracks is great if you don't mind their 3 song skip limitation on their mixes.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Last.fm's radio is great but it's not handpicked like 8tracks.  8tracks uploads might be transcoded to lower quality for sake of speed of streaming but it hardly sounds anywhere close to being as low as 64kbps... the sound is more comparable to say, 192kbps, which is serviceable for streaming IMO.  

Well I  said the codec is aac+ , which performs much better than mp3 at low bitrates. If you look at di.fm website, you have on a premium subscription access to a 64kps aac+  stream (much bigger bitrate if you choose mp3)  , and only 40 kps aac+ for free.

Quote:
The limitation isn't 8 tracks either.  I believe you could make a playlist 50-100 tracks if you wanted to.  I cap my playlists around 11 songs or so.

Mmmm, I  don't remind where I've read the limitations of 8tracks,  but I might has just been misled by the name of website.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 8
Nah, you just need 8 tracks as a minimum length to publish a mix to the website. 

And just as you were misled; so was I. I didn't realize AAC and AAC+ were two different animals.  I would never choose something like "64 AAC+" as my desired playback 
eek.gif
 but seeing as that's what 8tracks uses, then it has suited me just fine for cursory listening.  Hah, I do the same thing when I listen to Spotify's low quality streams; I go, "Well, this sounds great so far, but I'll need to listen to the rest in a higher quality."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back