8TH Calgary Meeting!!!
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 38
I have the Stax 009's now and will bring them probably with either the KGSS or 717. I will bring the Nad M51 dac and a Stax T1 tube amp with a pair of Lambda 404LE and a pair of Lambda Signatures. If anyone was looking forward to hearing any of the other Stax I have I can bring them but am just trying to make the load more manageable. I will be taking a cab but if anyone has room to get there let me know I am near 16th ave and Center St NW.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 38
I haven't been around for a while but I might be in, I need to find a new pair of head phones that I can wear on the plane for my trip to Asia, but not cost me a lot of money :p

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #18 of 38
Highway 63  from Fort McMurray to Edmonton is closed due to weather. I had a Greyhound bus ticket but there is no buses till at least tomorrow. I really doubt I can make it this time sorry to say.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
Highway 63  from Fort McMurray to Edmonton is closed due to weather. I had a Greyhound bus ticket but there is no buses till at least tomorrow. I really doubt I can make it this time sorry to say.

Sorry to hear that you might not make it...  
size]

If things change and you manage to make it to Calgary and still need a ride to the U of C with your gear, send me a PM and I'm more than happy to pick you and your gear up, but I can only promise that I'll return you safely home. Somehow along the way your gear might disappear!! 
size]

Dale

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

That's bad news... I was going to juggle my schedule just to be able to make it to hear the 009's!  And some of your Stax amps (I've officially gotten hooked on Stax).  Do I remember correctly from a past post that you have a pair of Sigma/404's?  I have some Sigma normal bias and have been contemplating doing the conversion so would love to hear them before I went ahead.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 38
I have a pair of Sigma Pro's almost like new but I don't know how much I really like them. I had the 009's for a few days now and I think I am addicted.  I do have a pair of SR-X Pros coming in the mail that I am excited about. They are a lot like Grado's so they say. The highway 63 is still closed with vehicals off the road all over the place. I really wanted to make it and though I was lucky the meet landed on my 4 days off. I will try hard to make it next time hopefully before summer.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:
Just found I missed this meeting
confused_face.gif
I am in Edmonton.

You haven't missed it yet - it's tomorrow from 12pm - 5pm at the University of Calgary. You have time to drive down from Edmonton in the morning, but if you do, drive safe! Even QEII highway is a little icy in places.

Dale

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #28 of 38
Can anyone provide pictures or gear impressions for those that were unable to attend?

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #29 of 38
Yes, please, impressions would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:
Can anyone provide pictures or gear impressions for those that were unable to attend?

Unfortunately there wasn't a great turn-out for this meet - only 7 people in total - 6 Head-Fi members and 1 guest. There was some interesting equipment there, specifically the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp. That in my opinion is one heck of a great unit for a solid state amp. With Bryston's standard 20 year warranty, even better! I was really leaning towards a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo for my new HD800s, but the BHA-1 is starting to look like more of a possibility.

I've always been a stickler for matching gear which is why I was tempted by the Mjolnir/Gungnir set. One of the real big advantages of the BHA-1 are that it has numerous outputs which can all be used simultaneously. Theoretically you could have 3 sets of cans attached and swap between them at your leisure. Of course this is a headphone fanatics benefit - most of us will have 1, maybe 2 pairs of headphones that we switch between, so I guess having 3 outputs is almost overkill. It does have a native single ended output and the other two outputs can be wired to accept single ended phones using adapters, if so required. The Mjolnir however is purely balanced - you can't even use a single ended adapter due to the design. Attaching a single ended adapter would throw the Mjolnir into protection mode.

So in considering which of these high end solid state amps to buy, one has to take in to consideration whether or not they want single ended capability. If so, the BHA-1 bests the Mjolnir. If however you are willing to wire all of your headphones with balanced cables, the Mjolnir looks to be an incredible piece. Alas the one member that had ordered his set was still waiting for it to arrive. By the time the next meet rolls around, I expect I'll have either a Mjolnir/Gungnir combo or a BHA-1/Gungnir combo in my possession.

As for other gear, we had a pretty good assortment of headphones present, with most of the flagships represented: Sennheiser HD800s, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, Grado PS-1000, Beyerdynamic T1. The lower end cans that were present were the Beyer DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, the AKG K702, some Ultimate Ears 6000s and my set of Shure SE-530 IEMs. With the availability of a couple of each of some of the flagships, we did some comparisons. Of interest was comparing my new HD800s (s/n 19xxx) with Colin's HD800s (s/n 10xxx). Mine only have about 120 hours of listening on them, but we could hear very minute differences between the two sets. Everyone that listened suspected that with more burn-in time on my set, they would begin to sound almost exactly like Colin's. Might be interesting to repeat the comparison at the next meet, but who know what phones will be present then!

A new 'favorite' at the meet was TrailerTrash's Oppo setup with his Burston driving his AKG K702s. We all agreed that this was the first time we'd seen anyone bring a 'video' setup to a meet. Listening to hi-res blu-ray audio through the setup was an interesting treat, something I'll have to play with at home when/if I pick up a couple of Bluray concerts. I also provided some interesting source material - some of the new Chesky/HDTracks.com binaural albums and some 96/24 hi-res flac content. I think most of the attendees will agree that my $250 Fiio E17/E9 was a bit of a surprise in how well it handled headphones like the HD800 and the Audeze LCD-2/3.

As usual, the meet was a good 'gab fest' and great to see some of the familiar faces out there. Hope everyone can make it to the next one in the May/June timeframe! Oh, Andrew took a few pics so hopefully he'll get a chance to post them eventually. 
size]

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back