8gig ZEN 148 dollars
Dec 5, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by genax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its posted on epicenter.net

Dell : Creative Labs 8 GB ZEN Multimedia Player – Black : MP3 Players : Home & Home Office

I clicked that link, it's actually $134.
smily_headphones1.gif

My wife has the 4GB ZEN, she loves it. Nice player.

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 15
I previously owned one. They are very impressive at first, but upon usage you grow tired of their delicate face, glitchy gui, and completely useless SD slot.

A better alternative? The Sony NWZ series. They are fantastic; they work on macs and there really isn't a flaw to them. Awesome SQ

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhcp_kz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I previously owned one. They are very impressive at first, but upon usage you grow tired of their delicate face, glitchy gui, and completely useless SD slot.

A better alternative? The Sony NWZ series. They are fantastic; they work on macs and there really isn't a flaw to them. Awesome SQ

Pretty harsh comments considering how new the ZEN is. From what I have read the firmware is buggy, so is the Ipod Classic. I have the patience to wait a couple months before Creative works out the bugs. And the price is 134 plus tax. That's an incredible considering it was being sold over 200 dollars a couple months ago!

I planned on getting the Sony. However after careful consideration and the fact that after going by circuit city several times. The 6 and 8 series Sony were not working. Even though I am sure Sony has better engineers then Creative resulting in better sound quality. The 8 gig Sony 30 plus dollars more and not future proof. Meaning once Creative works out the bugs. the sd expansion slot is going to be incredibly useful. Plus the fact that the Creative uses a usb to recharge. That means i have a free home and car charger from the Motorola Razor. On top of all that I really don't know how supportive Sony is. Creative in the other hand seems to be quick at rma'ing products that are broken.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 15
I have the 8G Zen and quite like its features. The software was a little buggy but since the last firmware update the player is a lot less susceptible to freeze ups. The screen is very sharp and the menu is intuitive I like the fact that it has bookmarks which makes it handy when listening to audio books. SQ wise with the proper EQ settings this player sounds very good. I had no problems paying $ 200 + a few months ago and didn't regret its cost then in the least. At the new discounted price this player is a steal

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhcp_kz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would have to second the Sony SQ. Make sure to give the player a try before picking the zen over it. You might find out that the SQ of the Sony is just enough for you to pick it over the Zen.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 15
i would wait awhile. considering how quickly Creative have been dropping prices and with the 16 and now 32 gig version out and about. it should lower the price of the 8 gig even further. i didn't wait because i just sold both my ipods

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SD card implementation of the Zen is truly stupid. Whoever designed it that way should be fired ASAP.

at least you can play music off it, right? the CF card slot on the Vision W is completely useless, all you can do is transfer data off of it onto the ZVW.

I still love the ZVW though
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeah the zen is a steal at it's price, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't attribute it's faults. It's a glitch-prone player. Perhaps all of those who praise the zen might have had disaster proof players, but many people have ended up with Zens that do not particularly function right. The problem with mass producing these things is that they have the mindset to easily lower the price for the consumer, just because the player they've created was more akin to error.

That's just the user interface. The bigger problem is the soft faceplate that literally gets scratched by pocket lint. In my opinion Sony made the better decision that acquit their players with a more grainer surface.

Overall, I purchased and liked the Zen for it's price, but I returned it for its dis-functionality.

just my .99

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by genax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would wait awhile. considering how quickly Creative have been dropping prices and with the 16 and now 32 gig version out and about. it should lower the price of the 8 gig even further. i didn't wait because i just sold both my ipods

The 32GB version is supposedly only a limited release of 500 units to the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back