880 vs 990 vs 601 vs a900?
May 2, 2007 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

carloskleiber

100+ Head-Fier
I want sort of an active sound, not something cold as ice from my dt770 pros'. and the 770s give me a horrible headache...i guess that's because of its bass...
my budget is around $200...and no, I won't buy Senns. never. horrible experience with them.
basshead.gif

May 2, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 20
Hmm... I'm interested in hearing people's opinions as well. I've wanted a pair of DT880s for quite some time, but I'd like to hear how they compare to these other contenders.

May 2, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 20
What's wrong with the Senns? At those prices, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the HD-600 (used). The AKG K601 is great too but it is more 'fiddly' with its partnering equipments and some people may find their bass to be too lean (I don't but others do). You also seem to have a K701 coming your way anyway.
wink.gif
Otherwise, a Grado SR-225 or Alessandro MS-2 (used) are great alternatives.

Cheers!

May 2, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 20
thanks, but i forgot to mention my musical taste is strictly classical...so obviously grados wont do...and senns will cost me thousands of dollars later on...otherwise they sound muddy...
i share the 701s with my friend. so i'm looking for a getaway from the 701s. something vastly different.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 20
i hate to reply to these sort of threads but i always do. i have heard those headphones and own the dt880 as well as dt770. funny, i love both. the dt770 is dead flat except for a great bass. they are surely studio headphones but i find them great.

that said, the dt880 has some similarities, perhaps i think that they employ a similar driver but a very diff enclosure. they are great on the bass with the right source and amp. with my heed they have sometimes bass that almost crosses the edge of easy listening.

they are bright, but sound very soothing as well with the right source. you cannot go wrong with any of the phones you mentioned, but your taste must accustom right?

i love the dt880 - above all i have heard - but not yet heard the darth beyer... that said, what about darth beyer?

May 2, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 20
so far (less than a week of owning them), I think that the DT 880 sounds great for classical. Better than the DT 770 imo.

May 2, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by carloskleiber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i forgot to mention my musical taste is strictly classical...so obviously grados wont do...and senns will cost me thousands of dollars later on...otherwise they sound muddy...
i share the 701s with my friend. so i'm looking for a getaway from the 701s. something vastly different.
smily_headphones1.gif

Considered the AD2000 perhaps? This thread will be of great interest to you
wink.gif

May 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 20
I have the DT880 - great detail, soundstage, seperation... highs are a tiny bit overwhelming when female vocals start to really scream (avril lavigne, evanescence)... bass is very "polite", meaning the impact of the bass is soft and won't slap your head. It takes a while to get used to, but I actually think of it as a good thing because compared to my amped PX100 (they really make me "bass sick") I can listen to music with fatigue.

May 2, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 20
For classical I will choose DT880...

May 2, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so far (less than a week of owning them), I think that the DT 880 sounds great for classical. Better than the DT 770 imo.

The DT770 makes the double basses sound as though they're in the front. The DT880 bass is very well integrated with the rest of the spectrum and is not as obvious because there is no bass hump there. However, there is plenty iof bass to be had out of them and it goes very deep. Amping is just as much an issue with the DT880 as it is with the Senn range imo.

Ian

May 2, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 20
As strict classical listener, keep yourself away from the A900 and the DT990. So only K601 and DT880 are left, but both are somewhat very similar to the K701 you want to get away from. Completely useless thread thus.
wink.gif

May 2, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 20
A900 will not suit classical music. I have recommended A900 100's of times on this site, but they will not match your requirements.

Your anti sennheiser view point in this matter seems confusing. I think the 580's (if you can find them) will suit your musical preferences.

If you want to stick to your original list however, I would go with the 880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back