88 awd camry or 92 acura legend
Aug 15, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 26
I'd pass on the AWD Camry and try to find a more standard one. If the AWD system breaks, you may have a hard time finding reasonably priced replacement parts. I believe the AWD version lasted only 3 model years, and then was canned at the redesign due to poor sales.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 26
Screw reliability! If you want a corvette buy one. It is worth the money to have a car that you like instead of just some generic econobox.
Also if style is not a big priority a fox body mustang can be had for very cheap. The aftermarket is so huge for those cars it will be pretty inexpensive to have a really fast/reliable car.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 26
you might have a hard time finding replacement parts for the limited edition Camry (awd), Acura and Honda have a lot of interchangable parts, so chances are you'd have an easier time getting the part/s you need, whenever a breakdown occurs, and dude all cars break, some less then others, Take it from me, I've been the automotive parts world for over ten years now.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Screw reliability! If you want a corvette buy one. It is worth the money to have a car that you like instead of just some generic econobox.
Also if style is not a big priority a fox body mustang can be had for very cheap. The aftermarket is so huge for those cars it will be pretty inexpensive to have a really fast/reliable car.

i said it costed me $10k+ over 5 years just to keep it running. that is on top of the $9k i paid. so, that is $20k. i'm not talking reliability--corvettes actually are quite reliable statistically. i'm talking cost. i heard mercedes and bmw are even more insane. don't even think about buying one of those without a warrantee!!!--otherwise you'll have a very fancy trophy to park in your garage indefinitely.

and yes, aftermarket is huge, but did you see the prices? just for example, a supercharger wil cost 2-3x installed on the vette compared to something like a honda. everything is 2-3x more.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 26
Well for 7.5k you could get a Mazda Miata which are pretty reliable. A Toyota MR2 would be fun as well. Aren't pre-'94 Merc's supposed to be overengineered and thus reliable as well?

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 26
I actually used to own an 89 Acura Legend. It was a great car to drive. However, one day it died at a light and I was pouring too much money into it to keep it afloat. New York salts eat metal like you would not believe, and the frame was starting to go.

Both are great cars. Both engines will last forever is properly maintained. From your sig you live in ME. Think about the body. Put your money into the Camery.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #23 of 26
I'd say the Legend. Very high mileage but it could go for a long time still without major problems.

I'm not saying it's the smarter choice, i have always just LOVED those Legends. Still looks like a luxury car from a few years ago.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #25 of 26
You could look for an 80's Mercedes which were built to last forever. The 190E 2.3/2.5 16v models had engines that were built by Cosworth and its still one of the best handling sedans out there today. Top Gear did a special about this and the Corrado VR6. However, its become sort of a collector car and the prices are going up, but if you're lucky enough to find one, keep it and you'll get more than you paid for when you do sell it. Most 80s Mercedes had amazing build quality that will last forever with consistent maintenance.

Another car I'd look at is a Volvo 850 T5, during Volvo's Pre-Ford days, their cars were built like tanks and last forever. The best part is the 2.5L turbo engine that sounds like its going to eat everything in its path. Oh, it'll leave the little boy racers in the dust too.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 26
Friend of my dads just finally got rid of his 91 Acura Legend 2 door. 275k miles and still runs great. Original clutch too (kind of amazing).

I just got rid of a 2002 Saturn SL2 which had 88k miles on it. Never had a lick of trouble with that car... I'd recommend picking one of those up. Especially living in Maine, it's hard to say how much rust is under those old cars due to the salt they use on the roads.

You'll be putting a lot more money into those old cars than you think. I had an 89 Toyota Cressida which was well taken care of which would cost about $1000 a year in random maintenance. Older cars will have a lot more things go wrong. Hoses will start to rot, you'll replace more belts, they'll burn more oil, exhaust systems will start to leak, suspensions will go out, etc.

Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back