-
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 11
The DT770 is great. It's really fun to listen to, has great low end and isolates well. Some people find it a bit harsh or fatiguing in the top end though (for me, that only comes into play at the maximum volumes i would listen to).
The DT880 is a bit flatter, but has the same beyer sound signature. Decent Bass and incredible resolution in the top that you either like or not.
The X2 has one of the widest sound stages you can get on a headphone.
I'd also look into the Sennheiser HD598/600/650 range. They are more balanced and layed back. Easier to listen too, but not AS engaging sometimes.
I personally am not a fan of the AKG Headphones. I always found them to be really analytical which is not something i'm wanting to listen to for hours on end. Others think they are great though.

The main question is: What are you using them for? On the go, at home? Only music, some gaming, TV?

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 11
They are completely different. Apart from Closed/Open, the Beyer is an intimate, full sounding headphone with great definition. The X2 is airy and "almost" like speakers in a room (in terms of soundstage). None is better or worse. Just different. For me, the DT770 never was a compromise. Though, they are certainly not portable. If you plan on taking your headphones to and back from work regularly, i'd also look into some iem's or such. Just because they aren't so much of a hassle to carry arround.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 11
I would caution you about the sibilance of the DT770. It really is too much for a number of people. Some people can do it, but for many of us, the top end is simply too harsh. Something to really consider as you decide. Alternatively, an X2 plus a nice IEM would be a good solution. Its soundstage truly is spectacular and the bass response is impressive. A very nice headphone.

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks! I'm still researching various options, I'm happy to increase my budget if needed.

I see contradictory information concerning open vs closed - some claim that open-back generally delivers better sound quality, soundstage and imaging. Is the difference significant enough to go for open back?
It certainly can be.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 11
both are fun cans but serman is right the Fidelio is less sibilant. As for open or closed, go with what you like. I have had good and poor in both formats. Nothing beats actual listening instead of reading our stupid opinions, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back