Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #721 of 4,063
Yes, definitely glad everything is fine.

The immediate difference (and I mean immediate) I noticed was that imaging. 
The very first song I listened to was "Sugar" by David Sanborn (96kHz). To be honest, the first few notes of the song imaged so differently that I thought I had possibly crossed the L/R channels when changing out the DACs because I was so used to this songs presentation through the PWD-ll. Instruments separation was spacious and placed very well. The sound-stage was wider as well.

Continuing to listen last night for about 4hrs I found that when I turned the volume up to hear some favorite passages (horns) there were no sign of sibilance or spikes in the upper frequencies. The Spring stayed very well controlled. Not much more to say at this point with such little experience with the exception of I'm really looking forward to the Springs performance after sufficient burn-in time being I've heard some positive differences from the beginning.

EDIT: This was in NOS mode.

I also have the PWD MkII and I was wondering what you thought of the bass performance of the Spring compared to the PWD so far? I find the bass one of the most attractive features of the PWD MkII and I haven't found a DAC that competes with it yet.

I don't want to go into detail because on my sound impressions because I think it's premature to judge a component fresh off the delivery van.  

I will post my Level 1 feedback after I've given the unit a fair shake.  

Maybe he was kidding? I read that post like a fake trolling attempt because it sounded so counter to exactly what you'd said right before it. Hah...

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #722 of 4,063
I also have the PWD MkII and I was wondering what you thought of the bass performance of the Spring compared to the PWD so far? I find the bass one of the most attractive features of the PWD MkII and I haven't found a DAC that competes with it yet.
Maybe he was kidding? I read that post like a fake trolling attempt because it sounded so counter to exactly what you'd said right before it. Hah...

Not trying to knock the PWD-ll (I own it and have enjoyed it very much) but only complimenting the Spring.

To answer your question about the bass, the PWD's bass sounds overwhelming/congested and bleeds into the mid-range/upper frequencies causing a lack of sound-stage/imaging and detail in comparison the the Spring.

The Spring with only 120hrs+/- of burn-in and has surpassed the PWD way beyond what I expected with my 009/BHSE in NOS mode using 44/88/96/176 kHz fils. I'm not at fault for enjoying the PWD because it is a great sounding DAC but I also had nothing to compare it to which is why I was content with it (so I thought). Today I'll be receiving my SU-1 which has been burning-in and I'll throw it into the chain via i2s. I don't want  to sound like I'm exaggerating, but so far the Spring has opened up a whole new listening level and experience for me to say the very least. I must also say, I was very skeptical about the Spring (naturally) being it is a fairly new product  with not too many reviews (which I take with a grain of salt anyway) and having never heard it as well. So far it's a night/day difference/improvement for me, and in all honesty, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. 

​I also wasn't joking about asking for an initial impression (right out of the box) because I immediately heard a difference, so I was seriously asking. 
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #723 of 4,063

I don't want to go into detail because on my sound impressions because I think it's premature to judge a component fresh off the delivery van.  

Before ordering my Spring DAC I spent 30 days evaluating Benchmark's brand new DAC3 (based on Saber's 9028 chipset).  Benchmark makes a great DAC so the bar has been set rather high.  

I will post my Level 1 feedback after I've given the unit a fair shake.  

The fact that you are waiting with your sound impressions until you had time to really burn it in and listen to it speaks high of your understanding and evaluation method. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #724 of 4,063
Hello guys,

I'm looking for new DAC for my rig. Currently I'm using OPPO HA-1 as a DAC. Initially I planned to buy Sonica DAC, but I'm reading very positive reviews on HOLO DAC and I think it will be better option as well. Sonica DAC is still not released.

So I would like to ask where to buy Level 3 version of Holo DAC in Europe? I want to avoid pay additional money during tax clearance process...

THANK YOU

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #725 of 4,063

To answer your question about the bass, the PWD's bass sounds overwhelming/congested and bleeds into the mid-range/upper frequencies causing a lack of sound-stage/imaging and detail in comparison the the Spring.

The Spring with only 120hrs+/- of burn-in and has surpassed the PWD way beyond what I expected with my 009/BHSE in NOS mode using 44/88/96/176 kHz fils. I'm not at fault for enjoying the PWD because it is a great sounding DAC but I also had nothing to compare it to which is why I was content with it (so I thought). Today I'll be receiving my SU-1 which has been burning-in and I'll throw it into the chain via i2s. I don't want  to sound like I'm exaggerating, but so far the Spring has opened up a whole new listening level and experience for me to say the very least. I must also say, I was very skeptical about the Spring (naturally) being it is a fairly new product  with not too many reviews (which I take with a grain of salt anyway) and having never heard it as well. So far it's a night/day difference/improvement for me, and in all honesty, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. 

All good points for the Spring. I'm really wondering where HOLO Audio can go with their next tier up May DAC? Like the price to performance of the Spring continues to sound pretty amazing, so it really makes you wonder what their May DAC will turn out like and, maybe, if the Spring will still be "good enough" after the May is released next year. By "good enough" I just mean it would be tough to justify the money on the May given how good the Spring already is for the price. I'm excited to see/hear.

As for the PWD, when you get the SU-1, try feeding the PWD via its I2s sockets as well. I've been listening to my PWD Mkii that way for about 1.5yrs now and I found it a nice step up compared to the USB input or even the SPDIF one. I'm not saying that will make it compete with the Spring, but I think it'd be interesting since you'll have an I2s source in house and you can compare the 2 on equal ground; best input to best input. Let me know if you can!

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #726 of 4,063
  The fact that you are waiting with your sound impressions until you had time to really burn it in and listen to it speaks high of your understanding and evaluation method. 

I cant help but feel you're indirectly aiming this post at my initial impressions as if they have no influence at all in relation to sufficient burn-in.

Initial: Existing or occurring at the beginning.

I'm also waiting for my unit to sufficiently burn-in. These were my initial impressions. which for me are very important. From my initial impressions, I find I have a relatively positive understanding if I'm going to lean towards liking something or not, although this does not determine the end results.

PM sent.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #727 of 4,063
Indeed, nothing wrong with posting initial impressions or not posting initial impressions.  Those that do, as I have, are usually excited about the product and others would like to hear initial impressions as well.  Since it has been stated that burn in is required the initial impressions will change and usually for the better.  I knew a guy that would take meticulous notes with each listening session.  He had an amazing ear after years of being a studio engineer.  I'm not that involved so getting out a post or two with initial impressions is the best I could do for any documentation.  After that, my long term audio memory is not great.

Quote:
  I cant help but feel you're indirectly aiming this post at my initial impressions as if they have no influence at all in relation to sufficient burn-in.

I'm also waiting for my unit to sufficiently burn-in. These were my initial impressions. which for me are very important. From my initial impressions, I find I have a relatively positive understanding if I'm going to lean towards liking something or not, although this does not determine the end results.

PM sent.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #728 of 4,063

PM sent.

I was not aiming at you. Am okay with initial impressions, naturally. For reviews and more final sound impressions I appreciate those that take their time and not rush it. Others may value a different evaluation method. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #732 of 4,063
Thanks to google translate I was able to get the gist of the thread. I'm no engineer, but those graphs look horrible!

Yeah, can't wait to hook up my low buck o'scope to the output when my Level 3 arrives.  Something doesn't look right, for sure, but I'm not certain its the DAC output at fault...  Grain of salt, and all.

All I can say at this point is that neither Gungnir MB nor Jotunheim (through the internal DAC module) look anything like what is shown there.  I suspect operator error, but time will tell.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #733 of 4,063
I've been using the Holo Spring Audio R2R DAC for a while and was really impressed with the sound quality. I've wrote a short review and posted on the blog. Enjoy!

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=245672.0

Cheer,
Guy

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #734 of 4,063
Got my Singxer SU-1 today and hooked it up to the Holo Spring L3 and it's working first try! Thanks Tim for the instructions and links on the Kitsune site. More to come after listening and settling in for a while. Cheers 

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #735 of 4,063
I'm curious how Singxer SU-1 sounds compared to Holo Spring Audio DAC USB input. I'm reluctant to jump coz Singxer cannot do DSD512 natively via HQPlayer without Windows certified Thesycon ASIO USB driver. It can only do up to DSD256 via DoP.

The Holo Audio Spring USB input comes with its own Windows certified Thesycon ASIO USB driver that can do DSD512, Which is important especially if you are using Windows PC to stream music to the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back